Windows 11 - is your computer ready?

Ok, so I have both a Windows 10 (Pro) desktop and a W10 (Home) Laptop.

Not sure just how many are aware, but W11 is due for release during this last quarter of 2021. In order for a computer to be able to have its OS updated from W10 to W11, the computer has to have a chip known as a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) embedded. The latest version of this chip, is TPM 2.0.

Many recent Windows computers will have an embedded TPM chip on the motherboard, but some of those are at v.1.2 and as I have discovered, might not be firmware upgradeable. This appears to be the case on my desktop with its now quite ancient (2009) Foxconn motherboard. Initially, I had no idea that my motherboard was fitted with a TPM, I only found it by interrogating the BIOS where I did find it and subsequently enabled it. I don’t even know why it wasn’t enabled by default. My laptop is fine, the TPM firmware updated itself via Windows updates some time ago.

So, it looks like, unless I seek and locate the TPM on my desktop MB, I won’t get the free upgrade to W11. Laptop should be absolutely fine. I wonder though, just how many Windows computer owners out there will not be able to download W11? unless of course they find some form of workaround.

But in any case, if you have a recent Windows computer and you haven’t enabled TPM or checked that it is already enabled if it has one, then it’s probably worth looking at it.

2 Likes

Hasn’t Microsoft said that even unsupported PCs will be upgradeable, manually, but that those users may not get any automatic updates anymore

3 Likes

I think it’s not unreasonable to state the whole Windows 11 minimum specifications is a bit of a debacle at the moment. It remains quite unclear which systems will and which systems will be not be able to run Win11. TPM certainly looks like it’s going to be a requirement. Their own pre-migration checking tool was withdrawn just a few days after release.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the major one is TPM. Of which pretty much every new CPU will support out of the box, albeit might need to be enabled in BIOS.

Personally on W11 already. It’s pretty good. If they’d get a terminal and make that aspect a lot more like Linux, they’d probably see me on there for development too

1 Like

Yes, in fact there has been so much backlash re obsolescence that MS are making W11 compatible with a wider range of chips. Regrettably the PC Compatibility Checker got disabled. R-

I think the big problem with Windows 11 is that they plan to officially support only very recent processors.

Yes, ppl may have to figure out how to update their bios or turn on TPM but a lot of older machines meet all the requirements apart from having an older CPU

1 Like

Microsoft won’t let you upgrade to Windows 11 via Windows Update without a TPM module, but if you download the ISO image, you should be able to perform an in-place upgrade. Or, there’s a widely publicised registry hack that will allow you to upgrade via Windows Update without TPM and Secure Boot.

1 Like

Almost certainly not.

And unlike Windows 10, I can’t actually see a compelling reason to upgrade.

From what I understand, there were similar limitations around Windows 10 when that launched. It doesn’t mean that they won’t work, but they were burned by the Vista launch and are probably erring on the side of caution. I’d be less worried about the CPU not working than peripherals or on-motherboard parts not receiving driver updates. I understand that Intel’s 270 series (7-series CPU era) will be getting driver updates though.

ASUS Motherboards Ready for Windows 11

Speaking of Vista, even that used a TPM for things like Bitlocker, so it’s a technology that has been floating around for quite a while now.

Some Windows 11 preview users are experiencing problems after Microsoft introduced a bug in their ad delivery. They are delivering ads via the OS :confounded:

https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/

1 Like

Well, this makes me a little nauseous. Linux, here we come.

1 Like

I already use Linux for most things, I may ditch Windows altogether.

1 Like

Trouble is, I wouldn’t know where to start.

I love my Macbook.

Would never go back to Windows tbh

1 Like

Mac is very good. Truly a halfway house between Linux and Windows.

Coming from Windows, Linux Mint is a nice and gentle introduction to Linux. From Mac, I’d recommend elementaryOS - very similar look and feel to MacOS. Completely free and you can run from a USB stick to see if you like it before installing.

For anyone in the Apple ecosystem, MacOS is a great choice. I prefer the open nature of Linux, plus I don’t own any Apple devices :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My MacBook is the only Apple device I have ever owned.

The iPhones and iPods have never appealed to me tbf

2 Likes

Fortunately, Mac came before iPhone/iPod etc so it has no real cemented connection to the ecosystem

You can use it fine without having anything else, although I’ll admit I’m heavily integrated (iPhone, AirPods, MacBook, HomePod). Although I’ll say that the MacBook is mainly because I want to be developing for iOS, it is still the best laptop I’ve ever used.

I bought the original iPhone - only available from O2 stores and you had to take it home, connect it to your PC/Mac, then run iTunes to go through the credit check and set up a mobile account.

I liked it so much I moved my computing to Macs and have never looked back. I do have a Surface Pro 7 for lols and will install Windows 11 on that when I get a chance.

Well I’ve well and truly sorted out my TPM issue. Yesterday, I tore out the decade old insides of my desktop and completely rebuilt it with a brand new MSI 2021 build motherboard, new Intel CPU, RAM upgrade and a very smart fully modular PSU. Flashed the BIOS with the latest version and then I enabled the TPM processor which as some know, is by default, disabled. TPM module now showing as TPM 2.0.

Anyway, all up and running and I’m enjoying my now considerably quicker destop machine, Bluetooth 5.1 and WiFi6 enabled. Here’s to Windows 11.

4 Likes