As it’s Saturday….. a heads-up: YouTube subscriptions are cheaper on their website

I suspect that’ll be your bank/credit card blocking it.

They know when they’re being used via a VPN, and some don’t like it. You’ll need to use a different card. The workaround still works, just confirmed it this morning.

If it’s failing because it’s a foreign card, have you tried to get a prepaid card in the relevant country? If you got a virtual one, you could be good to go pretty quickly.

I’ll continue to pay the UK subscription. I can no longer be bothered with fiddling around to get it cheaper/free.

It says you can fund them from an ICICI UK account - why don’t you test it :wink:

Have to get myself an ICICI account first :thinking:

I once emailed them asking if they did a hard search and they never replied, so would be in for a penny in for a pound. You can open it online though…

Had a go without a current account, tries to send an sms to a +91 number (oddly it wants to send a text to verify not receive) and fails. Perhaps as I don’t have the credit for that, but makes me wonder is it intended for the uk market?

So, just checking, is all this activity about getting some cheap Netflix……? :thinking:

YouTube and Tidal mainly

1 Like

Had a look at the comments about ICICI on MSE and it sounds like it had dire customer service back some years. Call centre in India, if course.

Current chat at the moment seems to have drifted away from YouTube and onto Tidal. Same concept of trying to get the subs cheaper though.

If music is what folks are after, and you’d be happy saving the equivalent of £2/£3 per month, you’d be better getting it from Apple Music or Spotify, and paying annually via gift card.

I mean, anyone with Tidal could save £9 a month just by switching to Apple Music (assuming that’s why you’re with Tidal since it used to be their USP). They offer the same hi fidelity audio experience, with Dolby atmos too, but don’t charge double the price for free. It’s included as standard.

Spotify annual gift cards go for £99, saving you about £32 per year. Apple Music’s annual plan is £109 per year, saving about £23 per year, but you can regularly pick up £100 apple gift cards for around £80, saving you a further £20.

1 Like

Prior to all this what I had was unbeatable - family Hifi Tidal for 145 ARS/40 pence a month and I had it for 2 years - that’s the main reason why I’m looking for alternatives

I’ve seen about bad service - but it’d only really be for like two card payments (YouTube premium is the main one I want) per month…question is whether having the current account works around the mobile reg issue with the pockets app…

I might have to get a vpn app back too for an Indian connection - I’ll see if I can find the effort!

I know Fineco have an IT IBAN not sure on the BIN but I only have a EUR card - I hope it’s a EUR bin given more and more EEA ATMs are charging.

As for ICICI on this forum I think I mentioned it months back.

That & Cynergy current account cards are the only cards I can’t remember seeing

The Fineco BIN is Italian now. Don’t know when it changed but I didn’t get hit with the UK charge in the Czech Republic using it in July (£7 a go there for a UK card!).

Remains a great option for European travel then

This is a tax minefield (not your tax advisor, but beware that if PLU appreciates/depreciates in value selling it for Sterling potentially has tax implications)

You could pay for YouTube Music India? I did that a while back

I’m still convinced banks should issue dedicated EUR cards here (in addition to GBP ones) - at least if they offer a EUR current account (e.g. Starling/Revolut)

I imagine that they’d need a presence in the EU to be able to do that which I think rules out Starling but Revolut could do it. Certainly if the UK charge gets more widespread something will need to be done. There’s not much point in having a free to use card if you’re going to get hit with a fiver or more in the ATMs. That said, it’s still free to use in shops and I’m sure most people don’t use a lot of cash these days.

Cool, I may consider this option but time will tell if the same impact on my Tidal account will reach you…according to Tidal it was due to changes coming from Visa/Mastercard

“ changes in the handling of Argentine Peso (ARS) currency exchange by Visa and Mastercard. As a result of these changes, our payment processor will now only accept cards issued by Argentine banks”

I know that the Argentine central bank has recently introduced new currency controls

In terms of the address, was it @Recchan who recommended using the Argentine consulate? :joy:

Hopefully I’m not the harbinger of doom!