Atom Bank thread

And update descriptions like this are not going to help convince the masses that they are a serious bank either :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Oh lord, that’s worse than Starling’s

Isn’t will.i.am their brand consultant or something ridiculous? :joy:

Edit: seems he stepped down earlier this year

Reports suggest he was paid around £4m for his ‘work’ as a strategic advisor there. What a load of nonsense.

Need a :man_facepalming: reaction, I think :laughing:

We’re the UK’s most innovative fintech

:thinking:

I’m in after updating the app. Probably no connection - but anyway :blush:

No connection - I updated this morning before all the fun started…

It’s inconsistent for me now.

Sometimes it’s the no connection screen but repeated tapping get me in.

I got into app with no issues.

They have a warning notification screen I cannot snap for here.

I’m on android.

1 Like

Yep, I’m all good now. :relieved:

1 Like

All is well for me too, now :slight_smile:

This message popped up when I opened the app:

Not sure if ‘duplicate’ is the correct term to be using here, since while I did receive two identical ‘new account connected’ alerts, I shouldn’t have actually received any at all. Erroneous might’ve been more accurate. But oh well, glad it’s all sorted now!

2 Likes

I wonder if perhaps they may have been duplicates of notifications they sent out earlier in the week?

A little slow to reach out to customers and inform them, but I think in doing so they’ve communicated it well, and in the right format, via the app, rather some external status website or blog that most customers won’t know exists. Glad it’s not just a generic statement either!

Personally, I’d love an after the fact breakdown of what went wrong, why, and how they plan to mitigate it going forward. Monzo used to do things like that and I loved it.

Sure. I was less bothered about a “notification” issue than I was about an “I can’t see my money” issue. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Fair enough, I suppose when the notifications insinuate that your savings are actively being removed from your account, and the app is also down so you can’t check for yourself what’s going on, that makes for a pretty potent combination of fear and panic.

I’ve left them feedback on this via the Kitchen, so hopefully it’s been passed on and the next update will have better notes!

I’m all for quirky notes but at least actually tell us what’s included in the update too!

The update before today’s actually had some decent noticeable improvements to the app, but had no mention in the release notes. I only found out about the kitchen because we were asked for feedback on those additions via the kitchen.

You can now see all your personal details in the app, and the onboarding for new instant savers has been improved to better guide users how to deposit. That’s from the update last week. No idea what’s in today’s yet.

I’ve raised the issues, they’ve acknowledged the feedback, now let’s hope they improve!

1 Like

Just had a read of Atom’s statement in the MSE article about it and you’re bang on the money.

Atom says it’s simply a technical error that’s resulted in customers being sent another copy of the last notification they received from the bank.

Now that can’t be completely correct, since I received three texts…

…but those three are exactly the same texts I received earlier this week when I uninstalled and reinstalled the app (new device) and then set up two new external accounts, in that same order and at roughly the same intervals as the texts came through (two mins between texts 1 and 2, and three mins between texts 2 and 3). So I’d say that all SMS alerts from the past two weeks or so were sent out again somehow. As you say, a breakdown of events would be super interesting (for those of us who use spend a lot of our day talking about fintech anyway :sweat_smile:).

I think releasing a statement through MSE was an excellent thing to do as well. No doubt a large chunk of their customers are because of MSE.

They’re definitely trying set things right the right way, which is great to see.

2 Likes

I seem to have lost the link to The Kitchen. Can you assist please?

My wife, otoh, always wants me in the kitchen, so she can stay out of it :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like
1 Like

I believe that’s for business banking customers, who get a slightly different that’s not for personal banking. I messaged the proper link to Graham, just in case atom didn’t wish for it to be shared publicly. :slight_smile: