Atom Bank thread

Good people - bad day at the office. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I haven’t logged in to Atom for a few months but have just tapped on the app and was straight in using the iPhone’s own Face ID, like the majority of finance apps. It’s about time, too!

Just to clear up my own confusion, when you refer to Face ID is it only atom’s version you’re always referring to, or your device’s own biometrics?

Assuming it is, you’re just going through the new flow no?

It’s not asking for your face to compare to what you had registered previously, it’s asking you to set it up for that log in on a new device. It’s treating it as a new device because you’ve been logged out. Properly logged out as opposed to just the usual lock screen where you have the three options to sign in. (I’m guessing you’re on iOS, because there’s a known bug where an app you haven’t accessed in some time completely resets as if it’s just been newly installed).

Every time you log in on a new device, your biometrics are essentially done from scratch so you have to set them up again. Sounds like there’s just been a myriad of confusion here on both parts.

I specifically chose to log out earlier to test the logging in flow. It let me log in as above.

1 Like

How bizarre indeed then!

1 Like

I registered with Atom and did not give FaceID. I updated it as and when required, and each time, it asked me to log back in, but did not insist on anything other than the 6 digit passcode. This time, it treated me as a brand new customer and said that I was logging in from a new phone - I was not. CS told me this happens occasionally, that an update thinks it’s a new phone.

When I clicked on “already have a logon?”, it took me to a screen asking me to put my email in, and then emailed me at 8 digit number. At this point, I was asked to enable and/or set up FaceID. No other option was available to me. I hadn’t set it up, and I wasn’t about to start.

No, I am not on IOS, an Android 10 Samsung phone. No confusion on my part, just Atom insisting I set up an ID log in that I don’t want to “in case you forget your password” - really, that was the excuse given. It’s their bank, their IT, their gaff, their rules. I just didn’t want it.

Does anyone know any other bank that insists on it?

1 Like

I believe you’re required to set up at least two of them. You need two to be able to sanction anything. One to login, another to sanction stuff as a second factor.

Most banks will require two factors in some form, but they’re not all so heavily into biometrics as atom is.

Yes, but they absolutely insisted that FaceID was one of them, and the only choice to register an account (that I already had, which was kind of the reason I was complaining).

2 Likes

So far, the only products it offers are savings and mortgages, so if that’s what you are after, then it’s good.

3 Likes