Banking on iOS 16

Any idea why it would be expecting the same dividend to be repeated instead of dropping down to the 30 pound expected one?

1 Like

Not sure - perhaps just lazy research for some shares. Most of mine have been pretty accurate.

2 Likes

Danske ID has now been silently updated for iOS 16 and works!

The HSBC, First Direct and M&S Bank apps are now the only ones which are confirmed as not working as far as I’m aware at the current time.

3 Likes

I’ve had a chance today to test out the majority of the apps on my phone, so I’ve updated the list again.

I do still have a few that I will be able to check later this weekend, so hopefully the list will be substantially complete then.

1 Like

You truly must dread iOS updates. :flushed:

1 Like

No, I love iOS updates - that’s why I install them on my phone early!

I do stay on the “beta track” all year round as well, so it’s a way of life. I just enjoy poking around in the new releases to see all the new hidden features. It’s very geeky, noticing new dialogue boxes and things, but’s it’s all a bit of fun!

I imagine @N26throwaway has a similar attitude too.

3 Likes

Surprisingly, on my personal devices, I steer clear of the betas most of the time! I’m part of the Appleseed program so there is something of an obligation there, but all my playing is done on dev machines usually.

There are times that I’m tempted to get them on my personal devices but I’ve gotten quite good restraining myself. Either that, or they’ve lost their pull and don’t entice me as much as new unifi firmware does which always has me going back to the beta track for some cool new thing!

I’m often quite slow with updating my personal devices.

2 Likes

Interesting, although do you use a separate iCloud account for your dev devices or not?

I remember at various stages in the past, things have been upgraded which has rendered iCloud sync incompatible with older versions (at the time, any version that wasn’t the beta)!

It’s happened with Reminders and Notes, for example, on iOS. Not such a problem if you tend to rely a bit less on Apple’s stock apps, though.

At risk of starting a bit of a debate about degrees of risk when beta testing, I have to ask: isn’t beta software on your network devices much more risky than a phone (for example)?! I’ve never (touch-wood) come across a problem that a restore or DFU restore couldn’t get me out of, but I would be a bit concerned about the risk of my internet connection collapsing on unreliable beta firmware. I also don’t install the betas on my Apple Watch - that’s a personal decision as they don’t have a proper DFU mode like other devices so would have to be sent to Apple if a full restore was needed. I know there’s now a sort-of recovery mode, but it doesn’t seem reliable enough to trust!

2 Likes

General rule of thumb is I don’t use iCloud on dev machines, unless I need it for something specific. When I do I’ll either use a dummy account, or I’ll use my personal Apple ID, as I have recently for the domains thing, which I’m kinda addicted to.

I also tend to live in beta.iCloud.com during summer between the next major update being in beta and launching publicly.

I think it might have been last year, and my iPad possibly, that I caved and put the beta on a personal device. I wanted that App Library parity. I’d probably be tempted again if the best new stuff wasn’t limited to M1.

Can’t say I really notice many compatibility issues with iCloud syncing services, except that stuff breaks with the release versions too. My safari things haven’t been syncing since iOS 15. No iCloud tabs, out of sync reading lists. Can’t get it working.

But when specific apps go through an upgrade, Apple has in the past, made those separate from the OS when it effects iCloud functionality and all your devices need to be on the latest version for the syncing to work. Reminders was a recent examples of that I think, notes too. So you could just opt out of the new features to retain compatibility with older versions.

Possibly! But this is a home environment and Unifi’s new system is very much still in its infancy, so in some ways I’ve been forced into it to fix network breaking bugs in release versions. IPv6 flat out didn’t work when I first got my dream machine and I needed the beta to fix it for instance. Unifi is pretty easy to roll back too without breaking anything, whereas apple updates historically haven’t been.

Router firmware is also vastly more simplistic than a huge operating system like macOS and iOS. Easier to maintain, fewer things to break, and there’s no App Store of millions of 3rd party apps and services to worry about, so from that angle it’s much less risky that something is going to go wrong.

Networking equipment is also what I’m deeply enthusiastic about personally, so when there’s some juicy updates, I just can’t help myself. It’s just my home network though. I’d never be that reckless with an enterprise setup.

3 Likes

Not just me then! Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I also find that any new bookmarks I add appear at the top of the list on other devices rather than in alphabetical order (which is where I put them when adding them). If I then put them in alphabetical order on another device, they get sent to the top on the original device!

Me neither! Even if the newer firmware has no relevant updates for my config :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How do you get invited to that out of curiosity?

Only reason I haven’t used it is I’ve already got my domain setup elsewhere. I’ve thought about switching as it’s included so no additional cost…

It’s invite only and I don’t think there’s any set criteria to be invited. I think I got mine just for being a MobileMe member, but I can’t be sure. I also work proactively with apple on bug bounties and feedback, so that may have flagged me as a candidate too. I also know folks who have been invited for no other reason than Apple know they’re iCloud users predominantly on windows, and needed feedback from those folks specifically.

They haven’t been accepting/inviting any new members for quite some time now though. I suspect it’ll eventually shut down to focus on the beta program or move to a new system anyway, so you’re not really missing much besides earlier access. The website is using a fairly old Apple design and hasn’t been updated to adopt their new web interface which is deployed everywhere else.

There’s also the lesser known Appleseed for IT program too, which is easier to get into and is done via your school or business.

If you’re paying for your domain hosting somewhere else, I’d certainly consider it. It’s very good. The one drawback that stands out to me is how iCloud handles identity, especially on iOS devices. It pulls your name locally, rather than from the cloud, and you can only have one, so if you’re not careful you could accidentally send an email from your branded email under your own name as opposed to your brands name.

That’s something they need to fix. On iCloud and Mac, you can assign names on a per email basis.

The one click buy and setup they have with cloudflare, can work with other providers too, sans the buy part. Someone mentioned on the Monzo community, that the one click setup worked with google domains too.

2 Likes

Virgin Money no longer working!

2 Likes

Same like First Direct

1 Like

Kroo no longer works.

1 Like

I understand AMEX are having big issues with the latest beta.

I wonder if there is more sympathy for HSBC’s position on not enable their apps on betas

What issues are they having? The app works well.

If you mean the Wallet issues, I don’t know if that’s Amex’s fault or Apple’s. And it is vastly different from the bullshit that HSBC pull. Amex, or any other app for that matter, breaking naturally I understand, it is a risk I agree to when I install the beta on my phone. But HSBC gatekeeping access to their app for unknown reasons just cannot be justified.

1 Like

HSBC update. Now working on iOS 16.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben. Good to see you :relieved:

2 Likes

It seems like it was Apple’s as they put it in their release notes. Changes to the Wallet app behind the scenes must have caused it.

However, it wasn’t any trouble really as it was trivially easy to re-add the card and then it worked again as normal. Even easier when the app kept working throughout and you could use the in-app “Add to Wallet” button!

1 Like