Barclaycard - fail

Not if it leads to fragmentation

True. Hopefully it leads to common standards

Anyone able to get their buggy iOS app working? Keep getting error ‘code 0002’ for a year or so now. Terrible outdated infrastructure, and customer service, can’t wait to jump ship from them.

Oh, you took from my suggestion that Barclaycard could do both (ala Amex) an assertion that Amex did so because of tin foil hat wearers.

OK. Not what I meant.

Regardless, Samsung Pay is supported in China and Amex support Samsung Pay, so I think that point is rather moot.

For what it’s worth, early reports suggested that Google weren’t taking a cut on Google Pay transactions unlike Apple. I suppose the money for them is in the data.

Android Pay Getting Gypped Out Of Interchange Fees | PYMNTS.com

Pretty sure that Apple/Google can’t take much in the way of interchange fees in EU/U.K.

Mainly because it’s just thin margin wise. No bank would want to sacrifice their cut when it’s 0.2-0.3% of the amount.

I’ve had a couple* of woeful experiences with barclaycard customer services. The staff are lovely but it takes ages to get through to anyone, and they can’t sort anything out without calling another department, which means I have to hold while they queue to get through to their colleagues. Utterly hopeless organisation.

* 1. The app started giving an error message when switching it to a new phone. 2. Created a new account (unrelated to the first problem) and the card didn’t arrive in the post.

1 Like

OK, final straw.

Their open banking connection returns the date a transaction clears, not when it was submitted. In practice, this means all your transactions are incorrectly dated eg in Emma. This is despite being dated correctly in the app. Why on earth do that?

Apparently I spent the weekend doing nothing, then hit the town hard on Monday afternoon…

Hadn’t previously noticed that, but you’re right.

Won’t stop me using them but I will be sending a request to Barclaycard to modify this behaviour. Unfortunately, I suspect they won’t get many such requests.

1 Like

With many banks they return both dates (the actual transaction date and the clearing/settled date). But from my experience, many banks have their own quirks about the data they provide and surprisingly don’t follow a set format.

Not sure about personal cards, but Barclaycard Business seem to return just the one date and in my case, it seems to be a different date to what’s on my statement (statement says 3rd July, Open Banking says 4th July).

1 Like

Me too, though probably alongside a few other things…

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly what I’m seeing. It’s pretty confusing. At first, I thought I’d forgotten popping in to a shop on the way home or something, but alas no.

I know there are plenty of open banking quirks, but can’t see what in earth the rationale is for this one. Why would card users care about the settlement date??

While we are moaning about Barclaycard, I’ve just noticed that they have been sending me a new statement notification every day since my last statement was produced, even though I’ve already responded to the first notification and downloaded the statement.

1 Like

I don’t suffer any of these issues.

Perhaps I am just lucky :person_shrugging:

When did you open your account? I’ve had mine for a long, long time and suspect it’s somehow been messed up by system upgrades over the years

2017, so quite a while imo

Mine is more like 2003 or 2004

OK, so it looks like it’s not just me having the odd problem!

My Barclaycard from 2 years ago randomly appeared in my Barclays app yesterday and it’s still there today.

Chat said it won’t go now until it expired despite it being closed in 2019

1 Like

Until what expires?