Chase UK Discussion

Very unlikely. If Direct Debits were coming so soon it would have made more sense to delay the launch for a few days, rather than introduce half a bank account, like they have done.

2 Likes

I find this picture of the guy with the baby hilarious, as not only is the card clearly photoshopped in (and not very well) but they are using two versions of it - one with a card placed in his hand, and one with a phone for mobile payment.

I forget where I saw the phone version, but it was somewhere on their website.

I’m sure you will get in soon @Lonford!

1 Like

Oh yes, I admit this completely!
I really do like the look of the nice card, and it has some good anti-fraud features as well (being numberless).

I’m also keen on using it for the 1% cashback, and other than large purchases where I would want Section 75 protection, I will be using it as my daily spending card (switching from credit cards).

So it’s not just about the card, although the card is a good inducement!

1 Like

That was exactly how people were “supposed” to use Bó (as a spending account for all their spending, while keeping their bills and main account elsewhere).

Maybe they should have offered 1% cashback, instead of paying Instagram influencers; they might still be around!

We know that the account people pay bills from tends to be “sticky”, so once they have Direct Debit support persuading people to move their bills will be key. I wonder if they might also consider an incentive campaign for that?

Yes, as I said either further up this thread or over on the Monzo community (I forget where): what it really needs is a system a bit like Flux to associate more rich data with the card transaction, provided on the merchant end and then sent to the bank.

Basically, an expansion of the capabilities of the card networks to send more information along with the transaction.

I’m sure it will happen one day, probably with startups like Flux being acquired and integrated into the system.

1 Like

I decide to try transferring funds from my MetroBank account.

MetroBank recognises Chase when you put the sort code in (which RBS doesn’t) and transfers without any problems.

Currently being verified…didn’t work right away

My ID is quite old…

Yeah… I confess, I never really understood why I would want to do all my spending through Bo. It added an extra step / extra layer in the money management process with exactly zero benefit.

Got a text saying there was an update about my ID, the app still says verifying as before. Now it’s saying sorry we couldn’t access that when I click on to the app. The try again button doesn’t work either, not good signs or a good experience so far.

Reinstalled it, had to answer the same questions and now verifying again…

There’s nothing fintech about that maintenance period :grimacing:

3 Likes

Has anyone asked Chase for the full list of category/MCC codes which are excluded from their 1% cashback offer?

2 Likes

No, but could try it (edit - I’ve asked).

Got my card today. It had to be near my phone to activate, apparently. All very futuristic

You won’t be able to earn cashback on anything you buy from the following types of merchants.

• Account and prepaid card funding
  • Antique shops, including repairs and restoration
  • Art dealers and galleries
  • Bail and bond payments
  • Bank fees such as product fees, promotional merchandise, financial consultations and loan fees
  • Boat dealers
  • Car and van dealers - new and used sales, services, repairs, parts and leasing
  • Cash withdrawals
  • Cheques
  • College and university fees
  • Cryptocurrencies
  • Debt repayments
  • Deposits
  • Gambling transactions
  • Government services not classified elsewhere
  • Hospital fees
  • Insurance sales, underwriting and premiums
  • Intra-government purchases
  • Money orders
  • Money transfers
  • MoneySend transactions
  • Motor home, camper and trailer dealers
  • Motorcycle shops and dealers
  • Nursing and personal care facilities
  • Pawnbrokers
  • Precious metals
  • Professional and financial services
  • Real estate agent and management fees
  • Savings bonds
  • Securities — stocks, bonds, commodities and mutual funds
  • Stamp and coin stores
  • Tax payments
  • Timeshares
  • Travellers Cheques and foreign currency
2 Likes

Not that I’m bovvered, no FOMO on my part, but would it have been easier to list exactly what they do pay cash back on? :laughing:

1 Like

Well, I can confirm they pay cashback on beer and kebabs, so I’m happy enough. :joy:

2 Likes

CS came back almost immediately with this

Here are the list of MCCs that are excluded from cashback:
MCC 4829MCC 5511MCC 5521MCC 5551MCC 5561MCC 5571MCC 5592MCC 5932MCC 5933MCC 5971MCC 5972MCC 6010MCC 6011MCC 6012MCC 6050MCC 6051MCC 6211MCC 6300MCC 6513MCC 6532MCC 6533MCC 6536MCC 6537MCC 6538MCC 6540MCC 7012MCC 7800MCC 7801MCC 7802MCC 7995MCC 8050MCC 8062MCC 8220MCC 9223MCC 9311MCC 9399MCC 9405MCC 9406MCC 8999

Edit: for reference, Revolut is currently 4829 wire transfers for topups. 6012 financial services is the code eg for settleup and comparable

4 Likes

What about ahem, ‘Adult shops’, or are they classed as Nursing and personal care? :rofl:

2 Likes

App continues to crash every time I go onto it, a reinstall takes me to verifying my ID -despite me getting a text saying it’s been done. Poor.

is this Android or iOS? What o/s are you on? (on either)

Have you tried clearing the cache and force closing? That worked for me

3 Likes

Thanks for asking. I am impressed at them replying so quickly