Contactless Limit to rise to £100 in October

Well I can. I have Xiaomi Pocophone F1 which is less than 3 years old and has a Snapdragon 845 so not a particularly old device.

Many phones from a couple of years ago didn’t have NFC.

1 Like

I suppose a lot of mine is just out of habit.
I did try GPay for a while, but found myself just going back to grabbing my wallet.
I’d never contemplate going out without my wallet, but wouldn’t think twice about going out without my phone.
Maybe it’s just an age thing :joy:

Many of the lower priced phones don’t have NFC either, such as those from Motorola.

1 Like

I presume Google can’t force manufacturers to include NFC but presumably it will just become one of those things people expect as standard.

1 Like

I imagine Google can force NFC support through their licensing of Play Services

But they probably wouldn’t because of Android’s use in (for example) ultra low-cost handsets in places like Africa where NFC is not so widely used - and phone payments are more often text message based.

2 Likes

Well yes to be fair they probably could but considering how many people think they have too much power I doubt they would just because of the backlash :joy:

That’s very true but, this is just a contracts for different markets argument

For example how Visa/MC require merchants to accept contactless in Europe now and got tough with suppliers of machines over it

They didn’t do that in Africa or the Americas; Google can just do that. “Samsung whatever you sell into Europe must have this”

1 Like

Not just Africa, but more importantly China - who prefer using QR codes to NFC.

And given most Android phones are made by Chinese brands…

2 Likes

No, it’s not.

Retailers barely break even with Paypoint as it’s really a tool to drive traffic and need to use it for extra things like mobile top-ups to make it profitable.

So if people pay large bills with credit and particularly Amex cards then the card fee will exceed the Paypoint commission and Co-op will make a loss on each payment.

I hope that we will rejoin the EEA soon and ditch the Little Englander rules myself :wink:

We were talking about paying credit card bills, not paying bills with a credit card.

Anyway, whatever the PayPoint agreements are, they have to honour them. Co-op (or whoever) can’t accept PayPoint but then randomly prevent customers from using it based on whether they think they are making a profit or not. That’s ridiculous.

It’s nothing to do with the EEA either, in fact we have only be able to increase the contactless limit in the first place because we aren’t bound by the ECB’s rules any more. Otherwise an increase would have to be agreed with them first and couldn’t be to any more than £90.

I’ve seen people pay their credit card bills in Co-op with Amex but don’t have one locally now.

You’ll find that Paypoint agreement doesn’t require the shop to accept card payment - only cash - so your ‘ridiculous’ argument is baseless, go into a non Co-op location and you’ll be refused flat-out.

ECB rules only apply to Eurozone members - EU Single Market rules apply across the EU/EEA and I’d prefer any non-EEA compliant rules simply don’t occur smoothing rejoining the EEA…

Don’t worry about paypoint that’s going in the same direction as cash :joy:

Do many people actually use paypoint?
I know of shops that offer it, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone use it.

This is getting into the legal technicalities here, but the ECB does have some oversight over non-Eurozone members as well, otherwise the whole thing would be too complicated.

It’s off topic, but I think hoping there will be no divergence from EU member status now we have left is likely to lead to disappointment; for many the whole point of Brexit was to allow divergence and whatever you think of that it’s likely to happen. I also wouldn’t hold out hope on rejoining either. There was a referendum in the 1970s, so at the current rate there might be another one in about 2055!

1 Like

It does seem to be still quite popular especially in areas with higher cash usage. Most of the services they offer can be done online I presume though.

Interestingly it seems all areas of revenue are down for paypoint except card payments :joy:

1 Like

Going back in the thread a bit, but I did a ~£2000 Google Pay Amex transaction at B&Q the month they started accepting it and the cashier was a bit taken aback lol

There’s an offer in the Amex app at the moment:

The ECB is an EU institution; so it does have an EU SM role but a minimal one outside the Eurozone.

As for Brexit have to disagree - there was lots of ‘reasons’ but diverging from single market rules was not a key one and only recently latched onto by the current London Government.

I’m fully expecting to return to the EEA in the next 5/6 years.