Digital Driving licenses

Because they were nicer to live in? Less stressful?

Not to sound too old fashioned but in the last 100 years we went from 50% of the population being able to support near enough 100% of it to 100% being able to barely scrape by

And work weeks have gotten more blurred due to the introduction of mobile telephones and constant connectivity

Meanwhile we’ve lost the ability to cursive hand write (with kids) in favour of print letters these days, it’s wild

Everything is so instant and thoughtless, as opposed to thought out as if you’d written a letter in its own section of your day: is what I’m getting at

1 Like

Well I can only speak from my own personal experience as a child who grew up in the 70’s, I much prefer the 2020’s. The 1970’s as an example, weren’t in any way rosy, they were pretty bloody miserable times as I remember. Even the clothes were crap :laughing:

5 Likes

You’re not wrong there…

Been supporting it for a few years now at least! Maybe since 2017? Not all routes or stations though.

Couldn’t use it for the final train ride into Scotland when I moved, because it wasn’t supported here. But main routes flowing through MCR, Liverpool, Birmingham, London, etc do!

1 Like

I sympathise with your viewpoint quite a bit, and I definitely don’t consider myself grumpy and old!

This point is partly why I’m, for the first time in my adult life, sending my adult friends physical birthday and Christmas cards, rather than an (sometimes automated) iMessage.

Disconnecting and unblurring those lines are important components of a healthy life. I don’t see why that calls for rallying against technological progresses that make our lives easier though. We can have both, and we need both; balance is good!

The argument with kids and cursive handwriting in a world of Siri and dictation (leapfrogged even typing now!) reminds me a lot of when my grandma would get outraged at my calculators for maths! Back in her day they didn’t need calculators!

If everything just stayed the same we’d never build on the progress of those who came before us, and elevate our society forwards! Technology has only come as far as it has because of that! If we were all still just using low level language, we’d still lack a GUI, and this forum would not exist so folks like us can have our rants.

4 Likes

Your family and friends are lucky! I send out bugger all, no one except my Wife gets a card and a present these days. I definitely don’t feel in any way guilty. Perhaps I’m a miserable git after all :rofl:

3 Likes

:grimacing::speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

https://europeandesign.org/submissions/digital-driving-licence/

Even Kenya have them:

2 Likes

If you’ve been called that then frankly, that’s unfair…… (it’s a fine club to be a member of though :rofl:).

That’s it Graham, enough is enough, I demand you delete and anyonymise my posts…only joking :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s been available on GWR and CrossCountry trains for a long time.

Initially only on their respective apps, but then more recently in Apple Wallet. It’s QR code based though, even in Wallet, so not as good as a proper NFC-enabled pass. And very occasionally you used to get off at an old-school station with gates not fitted out with a QR code reader, so you would have to bother the attendant to be allowed through.

iOS 15’s new driving license and state ID integration allows for proper NFC usage, which is so much better. It will be like Apple Pay.

I’m sure most would! Having seen documentaries and contemporary footage, you are not wrong about the clothes either. Dyes seemed quite dull and everything just used to hang off people in an ill-fitting manner. Style was more plain and understated.

I agree with this completely!

1 Like

Wish I still had my velvet loons.

1 Like

Makes one of us

Haha, I write mine all by hand with a fountain pen

As I mentioned, blurred lines are the reason for this. That and as technology has improved our lives have gotten objectively worse in some aspects

Sure we’re living longer lives but they’re a lot more irritating

24/7 media that’s 24/7 polarising people, a continual March towards saviour complex and feeling like we need to stand up for people even if they have no interest in us doing so (for instance Disney using Latinx a term despite all Latinos absolutely digging at them for it)

I’d also like some acknowledgement of the fact that households have been more screwed: it used to be one person in a household would work and one would work in childcare of their children

Now both have to work due to the media pushing feminism, but the jobs just halved the effective pay the progress so they still have to look after children too

It’s ruined the household, stopped children getting effective morals from their parents etc

There’s plenty of studies that back up that handwriting makes you memorise things better.

There’s also plenty of evidence that cursive handwriting helps you better connect ideas, I recall?

It’s not the same as a calculator. I can do all the math I can do on a calculator given by hand easily enough, sometimes even in my head.

1 Like

As opposed to a velvet jacket and cream coloured flares - a la “Anabella’s” in Guildford.

Oh yes…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s not a fact - just your opinion.

As Christopher Hitchens said, one of the best cures for poverty is the emancipation of women.

2 Likes

Riddle me how my great grandfather and grandfather supported 2-4 children on a single wage?

It’s very much a fact, when a man’s income needed to support a whole household else he had to find work elsewhere, it supported it. Now you need two incomes to support a similarly sized household.

You can choose to cover your own eyes with wool.

It doesn’t seem that we are ever going to agree so I’m not going to take the thread any further off-topic.

2 Likes

Thanks @MikeZ, we certainly applied latitude to this thread - too much, I suspect. Let’s bring it back to the topic in hand.

Feel free to create new topics in the time-honoured way.

2 Likes

Here’s another interesting article. A swift rollout which apparently took just 65 days. Personally, I’d be more than happy to have a fully digital licence, but then I don’t care just how much Government agencies know about me anyway being a former disciple of the State for almost 30 years. I got over myself long ago :laughing:

Apple have already done the hard work with iOS 15, launching tomorrow, so at least in theory it should be easy for a government to create a fully digital, secure and NFC-readable license. Which you could “produce” like doing an Apple Pay transaction.

I don’t know enough about Android to be sure, but I would be surprised if a similar system wasn’t either in development and on the way or already available?