Digital Driving licenses

Thanks for that info, I genuinely had no idea. :+1:

To be clear, iOS 15 is launching tomorrow, but we wonā€™t be able to use the feature here yet.

Itā€™s certain US states only, for now.

If you want to update your phone straight away, check shortly after 6pm.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see how long it takes for the first security update to be issued for iOS15. Months of Beta testing never seem to pick up everything prior to release, and then, sometimes within hours or days, someone finds a humdinger of a security issue forcing an update.

Itā€™s fairly likely that tomorrowā€™s release will actually be iOS 15.0.1 (so a zero day security update).

This is because the actual ā€œfinal buildā€ of iOS x.0 always has to be signed off in late August, to allow it to be flashed onto the new iPhones in the factory before shipping. To do this, they need a head start.

This packaged up ā€œfinal buildā€ is, these days, called the Release Candidate (RC) but used to be called the Golden Master (GM). It is released to developers early, immediately after the iPhone launch event, so they can test out their apps on the final build. At this point, Apple starts allowing apps built with the final matching version of Xcode (released at the same time) to be submitted to the App Store. This allows developers to submit apps with a minimum version requirement of iOS 15 or built with the iOS 15 SDK.

It is possible for them to issue more than one RC if a serious bug is identified, but this is unusual. If so, the version released to the public is a later build than that issued to developers. Sometimes this is badged as iOS 15.0.1 so that new iPhones, out of the box, offer the update to customers straight away.

Meanwhile, Appleā€™s software engineers continue working beyond the hard deadline of the RC being compiled, ready for the first point update. This usually fixes various low-priority bugs that they didnā€™t have time for earlier. A separate team will also already be working on a B branch of code that will eventually be released as iOS 15.1 - developers will likely get a first beta of this either next week or the week after. This usually includes features dropped from the 15.0 release earlier in the development cycle as they werenā€™t going to be ready in time.

Still another team will already be working on a very early, internal-only, alpha version of iOS 16.0. The ā€œcycleā€ is not as long as most customers realise, since beta 1 of that release will first see the light of day in early June 2022 at next yearā€™s WWDC.

2 Likes

Ooh, Iā€™d never use Trainline, -donā€™t they charge you an admin fee? I book all tickets via the EMR app, free of charge. You can book for any train journey, it doesnā€™t have to be an East Midlands journey, - I presume itā€™s the same for other rail companies apps/websites.

My senior railcard is held in the Railcard app, -it doesnā€™t need an internet connection once the Railcard has been downloaded.

1 Like

They certainly used to, I donā€™t think they do any more?

I agree itā€™s better to just use an app from an actual train company, then there is no booking fee and you can book any national service anyway. Digital tickets are sometimes only available directly from the app of the operating train company though, or at least that was my experience with travelling on the train pre-pandemic. I havenā€™t been on one for a while now!

1 Like

Not with the EMR app, you get digital tickets for all trains. I havenā€™t used any other operatorsā€™ apps, but Iā€™d be surprised if they were different.
The tickets are QR codes.

It may have changed since the early days of mobile tickets, like 5 years ago, which was when I first started using them.

Must say I find Trainline invaluable as far as journey planning is concerned.

The fee being what it is, I find it easier to complete the transaction there than go to a dedicated website.

Trainlineā€™s website confirms that they do ā€œsometimesā€ charge a booking fee:

ā€œDo I always have to pay a booking fee?
No. Whether booking fees apply depends on your chosen journey, ticket price, when you are booking and whether you book on our website or on our app.ā€

Even if the fee is only Ā£1 or so, I object to paying it when I can get the same tickets for free elsewhere.

3 Likes

Also worth a mention: I recall that you canā€™t book specific seats through Trainline?

1 Like

I suppose the alternative is the simply stop existing

They do sometimes yes.
But using a cashback site and paying by Amex to collect the Avios usually more than cancels it out.
And as @Graham says, it is the most convenient for journey planning.
(Especially on the computer where you can have 3 or 4 windows open at the same time to compare trains, routes and prices)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.