Do you get your shopping delivered?

Ocado is miles in front of all the other shops. I’ve never had a substitution, the dates are always very good. Costs a bit more but AI from a warehouse beats humans picking every single time.

1 Like

Sometimes Ocado own-brand stuff is extremely good as well.

We had some excellent Ocado branded grapes a few weeks ago!

Only used deliveries when I sprained my ankle and got some items with poor expiry dates and slightly odd substitutions like satsumas substituted with jumbo oranges.

I stay a five minute drive from an Aldi and a Morrisons; multiple others within 10/15mins.

1 Like

We’ve had our shopping delivered a few times over the past few weeks, from Asda. We don’t normally do it, but time constraints, for example, made it tricky to get there in person (it’s about a 10-15 minute drive from home).

Mostly good service to be fair. Dates have been hit and miss, like when buying things for lunch for work I would naturally pick the longest dates in-store, but they don’t seem to do that when they pick it for you. Had one delivered last night actually, and the substitutes weren’t good. Subbed ketchup for brown sauce and an Easter egg for a bar of mint aero…

I don’t envy the drivers around here either - narrow lanes, lots of hills and steps, and a mass of one-way systems by town. The joys of a Welsh valley town!

1 Like

This means absolutely nothing to some shoppers. The supermarket I work for, there are residential houses within metres, and I do mean, metres of the store and yet, some still choose to have their shopping delivered. Indeed, I have on one occasion, lifted my first delivery off the van before I’ve even left the loading bay and walked shopping (on a trolley), quite literally, over the road. That just doesn’t make any sense to me why anyone would choose to pay for a delivery when they could easily walk into the store.

I’ve also had issues delivering to medically vulnerable people. Believe it or not, drivers do occasionally deliver to homes where there is a single individual living with dementia. What happens is, a family member, sometimes hundreds of miles away, puts in a weekly food shop order in for delivery and of course we have to effect a delivery. I swear it’s not fair sometimes because you end up with a completely confused customer on the doorstep who doesn’t know what is going on from one second to the next. Drivers are just not trained to deal with that. Sometimes there is a carer present, sometimes not. It’s a hugely difficult situation to deal with.

Trust me, if my Wife could order from them, it would be the only food shop she’d buy from. Just isn’t an option in our part of the world.

Again, and no disrespect intended, the customer could help themselves hugely here by specifying on their order next to each item whether or not a substitution is acceptable or not. The pickers on the shop floor don’t make the decision, their PDA’s tell them what to pick. They’re working under very strict time limits, often picking the shopping on the supermarket floor with all of the other customers milling around. Short date items, well you’d think a picker would use a modicum of common sense and select long date products. Sadly, a lot of the time, they just don’t because again, they’re under immense pressure to get the orders picked. The amount of moaning, and quite justifiably so, that I get from customers who’ve had yoghurts etc put in their basket which expires the very next day, is a daily occurrence. They just end up asking for a refund and the goods are returned to store.

Home deliveries are a really great way of managing people’s time, especially I guess for those with families who are trying to juggle so many things going on during the day, but when the customer is compiling their order, sometimes, they really should just take a bit more time over what they’re doing and that way they perhaps won’t suffer such disappointment when they get a large melon substituted for a large cucumber.

Yup, one of the joys of the job. My biggest bug bear are idiot car drivers who refuse to make way for a much larger truck. I now just sit there on a single track road until said idiot driver gives in and reverses up out of the way. I’ve had one or two runs ins with morons who think it’s easy to reverse a food truck around a blind bend.

2 Likes

I’m happy to receive substitutions, as long as they’re sensible. Subbing ketchup with brown sauce isn’t really a fair sub. Subbing one brand for another, or a different size would have been fine and I would have been more than happy with that.

3 Likes

This depends on what was available. In the (very) unlikely scenario where there was no ketchup in the shop, brown sauce is a reasonable substitution. If the customer doesn’t agree, then they can return it.

1 Like

And that would stand for most shoppers. Unfortunately, you’re at the mercy of what the picker’s PDA tells them to pick if what you want isn’t on the shelf. The store might even have the item in stock in the storeroom, however, if the item isn’t out on the shelf where the picker is picking, you’ll either get a sub or you won’t get it at all. If the customer ticks that ‘Do not substitue’ box, it just becomes a nil pick anyway. The people who sometimes end up with stuff they really don’t want, are those with special diet requirements, gluten/wheat/meat free etc, and it is they I feel a bit sorry for. I’ve had customers who specifically order vegetarian meals and end up with meat products in their basket which just end up getting returned.

Again, this is what many shoppers say, until it comes to their favourite brand of beans for example, which when substituted for the supermarket own brand, often just get slung back at the driver for a refund. Of course as is usual, it’s the driver that has to bear the brunt of the moaning and we really do have to just let it flow over our heads.

2 Likes

Getir and Gopuff have arrived in town. Got a Getir delivery in 10 minutes on Friday at about 11pm. Rubbish apps, limited choice, some dodgy pricing, but FAST.

I assume you’re not their Head of Marketing……:blush:

3 Likes

Getir are also great for offering free stuff when you spend over £20/£30.

Today I got a free 500ml tub of dairy-free chocolate gelato for spending £20. In the past I’ve had all sorts of other stuff, including a £40 bottle of sparkling wine (and yes, it was retailing at that price from other merchants, not just Getir).

1 Like

The good thing about them is that usually if it’s in the app, it’s in stock, so you don’t end up with substitutes. That said, the bag of pasta (£1.33) I ordered today wasn’t available, so they rang me, apologised, and gave me a £5 credit for my next order.

3 Likes

I’ve had this with getir too. They must be :fire: cash…

I suppose I mean it doesn’t really replace a weekly shop. There’s no way I can get everything for the kids from them. The veg prices are prohibitive. Seems very much targeted at the booze and comfort food market. Getir doesn’t really do bread…

1 Like

I tend to use them when I can’t be bothered to schlep down to the local shop - if it’s late, raining, or I’m just feeling lazy. I’ve found them pretty good for bread - they have the overpriced artisan sourdough, but they’ve usually got sliced Kingsmill as well (and other bakery products like crumpets, muffins and - at the moment - hot cross buns). I guess product availability depends on your area.

2 Likes

And there was me thinking I could just register and get going……

Regrettably, I’m outside their delivery area.

1 Like

And there was me happy enough not to be in their delievery area :laughing:

I may live in a small place, but I do at least have a decent size Tesco supermarket just a 5 minute walk from my house for those items I might need in a bit of a rush. For everything else, well the van turns up once a week and that’s better than trudging around any supermarket with the masses, especially living in a tourist spot that gets swamped with loads of luvvie Londoners.

Actually, I’d never have used it - I’m well served in every respect grocery-wise.

Not sure why it took me to register before learning the dreadful news……:flushed:

2 Likes

Us too. Tesco, a local Coop, which unfortunately seems rather expensive on most things compared to Tesco, and we even have a Lidl a short drive away.

None of the aforementioned apps, even if they were available in my area, would be of any use to us. We’ve never even had a Deliveroo or Uber Eats delivery :laughing: though we do get Dominos Pizza occasionally as we’re just inside their free delivery zone.

1 Like

I get an Ocado occasionally when I run out of many things at once (mostly spices) as none of my local shops have a great selection :sweat_smile: Other than that, there is a tesco 3 minutes down my road so I do not tend to buy online haha

2 Likes

Welcome :rightwards_hand: :leftwards_hand:

2 Likes