Fineco

A thread rich in fact, experience and opinion. I like it :grin:

(On the back of this, I’m waiting for my card…:relieved:)

1 Like

I had Fineco here in Italy for quite some time… Then they added the monthly fee and I abandoned it I was quite comfortable.

There were some negative aspects:

• When I deposited cash from ATM I had to wait 24/48h before it was credited to the account

• Transactions are accounted for slowly and sometimes you’ll miss some expenses you’ve made.

In many other things, however, it was impeccable. I was struck by one thing in particular… text message notifications of purchases made online and in stores.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for posting!

I suspect that Fineco U.K. customers probably can’t use the ATMs to deposit cash, but I don’t know for sure as I’ve never tried.

The card being of UK origin probably shows that it runs on a separate system, so I would think it’s unlikely.

There is also no monthly account fee in the U.K.

2 Likes

Hmmm, yes that was what I was wondering - I thought it’d be nice to be able to fully pay like a local, with no possibility of being stung by DCC. Do you know if card terminals can differentiate between a card’s country of origin and the card’s native currency, in which case you’d expect Euro to still be the default?

I’m really hoping that their UK offering uses push notifications as opposed to SMS!

Euro or GBP, Graham? :grin: …and was the sign up process much of a pain?

One review I read of them (UK) complained of how slow the (GBP UK to UK) transfers are, which I’m guessing is a symptom of them sending using SWIFT as opposed to FP :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Triodos do this too. As nice as push notifications I do appreciate the SMS approach. Old school it may be, they come through to all my devices, and they’re within my most used app so I’m less likely to ignore and forget.

Can’t stress how many times Monzo have charged me overdraft fees because I forgot about the notification and ignored it, so didn’t move money out of a pot in time. My own fault, but I doubt this would happen with SMS notifications.

3 Likes

SMS notifications are useful if you’re in a place where the internet connection doesn’t catch well. I prefer them :person_shrugging: in the current bank i have i get push+sms notification and i repeat, i find it very useful.

2 Likes

I think I’d appreciate the ability to toggle between push and SMS notifications, solely for when I’m travelling in a country with non-inclusive roaming where I’d have my mobile data turned off most of the time, but I could continue to receive SMS messages free of charge.

Having both at once would definitely annoy me - my notifications screen is cluttered enough as it is! I guess what I like about push notifications in favour of text is that I find them clearer/more instantly recognisable (with the little bank app icon logo as opposed to the generic messages speech bubble icon), they can take you straight to the relevant item within the app if you tap on them, they’re more secure than SMS, and you can receive them if you have a phone signal or WiFi, whereas with SMS alerts you need to have phone service (unless your carrier supports SMS over WiFi calling). Admittedly, for push notifications you’d need mobile data turned on in addition to having service, which isn’t an issue for me since I leave mine on all the time, but I do know of people with very limited allowances who turn theirs off whenever they aren’t actively using it. Each to their own, and I think the choice to choose wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

2 Likes

I opted for the GBP card - no particular reason (though I suppose transacting in euros is unlikely to happen).

A selfie
A password
Two 8-digit pins (both the same is allowed)

Job done. 10 minutes?

3 Likes

I think the BIN database purely records the country of issue, not the currency. Even if it did, many of the payment processors would still spot the “foreign” country of issue and justify that as a reason for offering DCC.

2 Likes

Well, I just signed up and I’m afraid to say that I found the process just as bad as @riceuten.

I applied via the app if it makes any difference (strangely no request for a selfie, @Graham :thinking:)

First problem was when it asked me for the ‘Issued municipality’ for my passport. Now considering our passports are issued by a central body, HMPO, in this country, I have no idea why this question existed. The set options consisted of a list of every town and city in the UK. I decided to just stick London down, considering it’s where the HQ of HMPO is located.

Next issue was that the form wanted my ‘City of birth.’ This field used the same set of towns and cities as the aforementioned question, and given that the place of birth on my passport is a London borough, I was straight out of luck, so again I opted for just London. This wouldn’t be an issue, but it seems that the section of questions that this one was a part of was all about the data actually on my passport, such as date issued, expiry date, name ‘as it appears’ etc… so these places not matching may indeed prove problematic.

Then came the T&Cs. It was a series of screens, each with a different legal point and checkbox, with a greyed out ‘Continue’ button at the bottom. I assumed that what I was supposed to do is check the box, then tap continue to see the next point and so on. However, as soon as the box was ticked it moved me immediately on to the next screen - no need to press the seemingly pointless Continue button - so you can imagine my surprise when I preemptively tapped the first box before reading the details (thinking nothing would go through until I hit the giant Continue box), and it all disappeared and moved on to the next one, with me having no idea what I had just agreed to!

Anyway, I learnt not to tap any more boxes until I had read the entire screen, and eventually I got through it. So, application finally complete I thought I’d take a look at the app… after all, this graphic had cheered me up a bit

But no more than a second after I thought all had gone well….

Great. Never mind though, I’d just received an email instructing me to set up my codes. Sadly, tapping on the link to do so in the email just opened the broken app, so I copied and pasted it into Safari. In I got, and I set up a password (which had to be exactly 8 characters and only letters and numbers, which is just horrible security practice to force those constraints) and a PIN. On to step 3, which was something about text codes I think. I’m being vague about this bit because when I tapped on the ‘Read more info about this’ link a new page opened in the same tab. How genius. Sure enough, tapping the back button to get me back to the form simply returned an error page.

I tried to use the Activate Codes link again to resume the process, but sadly it just took me straight to my Fineco account dashboard. So I’d really appreciate it if anyone on here can remember what steps 3 to 5 of the activation process were, because I’ve been unable to do them. I have sent a message to support via the website, but I’m not holding out much hope that they’ll be able to understand exactly what’s happened considering they’ll probably be feeding my message through Google Translate it seems.

All in all, probably the worst application process for a bank I have ever been through.

3 Likes

I must admit the whole thing was a seat of your pants job. I had the same experience with the whole read this and click that routine, with screens advancing seemingly at their own behest.

As I recall, I set up a password then two 8-digit pins (which I duplicated). Got the welcome message and an able to access the app……

….which doesn’t currently take you further than four info screens on the features and a message saying the account will be up and happening “in a few hours”.

We’re now some 30 hours on - I assume time passes slower in Italy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

Probably the most bizarre application I’ve been party to.

No big deal, as I’m not interested in trading (clearly the primary purpose), so it’ll not hamper me any. Keep us posted…?

1 Like

Thanks Graham, will do! I only got as far as setting up one PIN before it went - I think the one I didn’t have the opportunity to create was the ‘Client Service Password,’ which I tried to then set up afterwards but it still shows as ‘Set Password’ as opposed to ‘Change Password’ in my account so I’m sceptical as to whether this has worked or not. Does either yours or @Seb’s show ‘Set Password’ despite you both having set it up during the initial activation, out of interest?

And yes, this is the extent of my app currently…

1 Like

Well… It all happened this morning!

Accessed the app to check progress and, upon creating yes, another code (7 digit this time) I’m now in.

Firstly, I got an “increase limit” message which requires me to enter the middle 8 digits of my card number (too soon :face_with_raised_eyebrow:). But I’m able to click beyond that into the app itself.

Talk about feature-rich…! :thinking:

Here’s some screen shots:

And an email:

Exciting…:blush:

Update: Bank transfer took just over the hour to show.

2 Likes

So it’s not just me…

The opening of the account for me took 4 working days, so “a few hours” is probably optimistic.

Bizarrely, I received a call from them yesterday from a woman who barely spoke any English, just a few words, I had to break out my school boy Italian to engage with her. She asked if I had opened the account and “did I want it for just a current account or for investments as well?”.

If you try and call them, on either of the numbers given. they never answer. To be able to use the investment side of things, you need to pass a mini test to do so, which was really detailed. Sod that.

Most of the functions - including, er, ordering a card, require the middle eight digits of a card you don’t have. You effectively need to get them to send you the card manually. They confirmed this to me in an email.

So I assume that all of us are “incredibly unlucky” and this supports @Seb’s view “that all of our problems are of our own making” ?

1 Like

Which in my case would facilitate a very short conversation - “Ja”, “Buenos Dias” - that sort of thing :flushed:

Thank goodness I went there a few times. They have just emailed and said they are now reinstating the bank account they were going to close (“this account will not be destroyed”).

No sign of the card, but it’s early days…

Mine was instant with Revolut (EUR to EUR) but took a similar time to you from Santander (GBP to GBP)

1 Like

Getting there, dear chap… getting there :slightly_smiling_face:

This makes the Child & Co expedition seem a like a walk in the park :flushed:

In terms of ease of transfers, I wonder if it would make sense for me to use Starling’s euro account. Must say, I can’t see the right way with this, efficiency-wise.

Thoughts ?

If this is the application process, just close and ditch - and let us know how that goes…

Well this sounds like quite the horror story! Is the ordeal worth getting through?

I want the card, not sure I want the hassle. The whole outfit feels like a 90s operation from first impressions.

Actually it has been a exhilarating roller-coaster ride full of fun and frolics. My Fineco account will surely be a game-changer……. (Now where’s that debit card, then? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:).

1 Like