Fineco

Honestly, I’d say no - unless you’re some kind of masochist!

I received an email this evening saying:

Your account is now active.

So over to the app I go, and lo and behold:

Okay…. But maybe it’s just the app playing up (again), I thought! So I logged in to the website…

Great stuff :joy:

I haven’t received a reply from customer services regarding the issue during activation yet btw, and seeing as they don’t open on the weekends I won’t expect anything before next week now… I think CS is a hugely important factor in choosing which institutions to entrust your money with, and so far everything that could gone wrong with Fineco has! Add to that their ridiculous Mon-Fri only support hours and, as cool as their all black card looks, I won’t be using the services at all once (if?) the account eventually opens. I’ve thankfully never faced IBAN discrimination issues personally when using my Starling Euro account, so I’ll stick with that since for me it’s always worked flawlessly and as much stick as their support sometimes gets (FTT, anyone? :wink:) it’s never failed me (yet!).

1 Like

Yeah, but you’ve got to admit, you’re having enormous fun. What larks !

In the cold light of day, a bog standard European bank* dipping it’s toes in the “mobile-only” onboarding process to a customer base emersed in fintechery… What could go wrong? :flushed:

(* I assume)

2 Likes

Ok… so I received another email once again telling me my account was open, and this time it was actually right!

I tried to order a card, but alas as others have mentioned they want the 8 middle digits of the card number to remove account limitations for ‘outgoing transfers and other banking services,’ which includes ordering a damn card! Alternatively, you can request a security code be posted to your address that you can use in place of the card number.

So, I enter my PIN to request one and the following pop up appears…

Erm… :joy: Unsurprisingly this turned out to be an erroneous confirmation since when trying to order a card again, the account limitations block was still there. So I guess I’ll be waiting for that code to turn up…

However, two things caught my eye.

1. The new card PIN code is sent over SMS!
  2. There’s a £2.95 delivery charge :frowning:

I’m planning to just wait for the card.

And NOT lose it :scream:

2 Likes

But how on earth did you request it without the non-existent card number or a posted security code?

When I go to the cards section of my account it prompts me to order one…

…which then takes me to this page…

When I tap on either the GBP or EUR option, I’m presented with the following screen, blocking me from placing my order…

I think contacting them also works – not that I’d ever bother with this

When I tap the card section, I get:-

:thinking:

You need to use the website I think to order your first card. That’s where the screenshots in my post above were taken from.

I’ve just sent them a message, but they haven’t replied to my first one yet so I won’t hold out too much hope for any progress anytime soon.

1 Like

Probably best to expect nothing before Monday.

“passa un buon fine settimana” (I think :flushed:) :it:

Look at me ! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oops :astonished: - how did I do, @Mattia ?

1 Like

This thread looks like such a dumpster fire

Fixed it

You wrote correct :joy::joy:

Slightly OT perhaps but on the topic of multi-currency accounts.

Unless there is a urgent need for the f/x facilities that Fineco offer, I’m not sure what the appeal is for a UK based customer.

Personally, I’m looking forward to HSBC launching the UK version of their Global Money Account which should be “coming soon”.

Looking at the version below that HSBC have launched elsewhere, I don’t think any other UK bank offers anything similar

They all allow you to access multiple currencies via a single debit card with no f/x loading that I can see on supported currencies

HSBC Australia
HSBC HK
HSBC Malaysia
HSBC Singapore
HSBC USA

1 Like

If it’s anything like the other “global money accounts” that other banks offer, it will be €10-20 per month, just for the pleasure of having an account.

I note with some interest that

a) you have been through almost the same experience as me
b) @Seb suprisingly hasn’t returned and told you that it was basically your fault like he did with me

Funny, that.

Looking at other countries, HSBC seem to be offering this account for free.

Though we will have to see what the UK offering is, I’d be surprised if it came with an fee.

For what it’s worth, I’m not sure anyone has done wrong. It’s just a weird onboarding process which lacks the immediacy of our UK offerings.

To be hyper-critical (as folk on these forums often are) there’s a lot of informational content on the website about the wonders of Fineco, but precious little to inform the new user (including expected delivery of debit card for example).

Wait and see.

It’s no big deal either way really, is it?