General thread about Monzo :)

Ah I see. To be fair to them (and because some of it might have been me) there were two messages. And it’s the second one which started to cause confusion.

The initial message was “you can re-join us after 12 months” and this was a consistant message. Right up until it suddenly wasn’t. At that point the message was very inconsistent.

On twitter it’s been “we may let you re-join, keep an eye on our socials” but if you ask them via chat etc (on twitter) the answer was very changeable. “Hopefully soon/By Early Feb/Might be later/We don’t know”

My thesis is it’s a tech limitation and hasn’t been prioritised for other things. And that at some point they’ll do it and then people can come back. I’d be very surprised if no one could ever re-join a bank ever, because at some point you’ll run out of organic and new customers.

EDIT: Sorry this is all about Chase and it’s the Monzo thread, can someone move it?

With Monzo it’s really inconsistent

I did this with Halifax and TSB with no issues at all. Twice with TSB, then went foor good.

This is progress :thinking:

1 Like

I’m getting the full Monzo experience now.

I have a feeling this isn’t going to end well :joy:

1 Like

Urgh, Customer support is one of the main reasons I left Monzo and stay away, though the app is great.

It’s so bad! People complain loads about legacy banks but honestly the HSBC support is an absolute world apart from them. Actual live chat, issues resolved on first contact and sorted.

Monzo really need to do first contact resolution and hand off less. Do better Monzo!

I haven’t heard anything since that last message four days ago :person_shrugging:

So it’s now been nine days since the last email I’ve got from them. Should I do anything or just give up?

1 Like

Try shouting on social media, if you use those channels. Might get some traction then, I don’t know :man_shrugging:

I’m not a great one for complaining in this sector, but if you feel affronted at being ignored, maybe pursue it.

Otherwise - move on….

Yeah, I commented without reminding myself what he was complaining about :man_facepalming::rofl:

I wouldn’t waste time on social media for that reason, but then I’m not on social media, so couldn’t anyway :joy:

1 Like

Unless they’ve launched another in-app purchase called “some semblance of customer service”, I’d be inclined to move on.

However, there are threads over on the Monzo forum about it. Apparently some have had some success by trying to login to your old account, triggering the magic link and then using that to contact the support chat.
Unable to open a new account as my mobile number is linked to an old closed account - Help - Monzo Community

This might have been before they paywalled customer service though. I can’t find it in my app anywhere. :rofl:

I’ve now sent a message in app :+1:

2 Likes

Long time waiting for you

I checked and my account was closed nearly five years ago!

At least I know now that it’s not meant to be :joy:

1 Like

Someone else with the same issue and the long wait with no reply.

1 Like

What was interesting about that was the fact the first agent was like (Oh I can help, lemme clear you from the systems) while the second agent (probably) did the right thing - “nah mate, once you’re gone, you’re gone”. (Tone may have changed)

I think we’re back in closed and never able to come back world for now, that’s a shame as people may have many reasons to close an account vs leaving it dormant. At least it’s clear though, close it and don’t expect to get back in.

I think, like Chase, they just don’t have the facility to remove your deets from the system and some engineer somewhere would have to manually do it. And building such a system for customer operations isn’t a priority.

Starling can’t release your phone number anymore either (they used to when they very first launched but was a manual process) or reopen an account. That’s how I was allowed back once, and won’t be again.

Folks get around the Monzo issue by just using a new mobile number.

2 Likes

That loop hole closed down recently I think! It used to be the case that if you asked they could remove the details and you could then reapply.

But since Feb when the FCA came knocking they’ve definitely got more tight about letting customers back in.

Chase I do think are technically limited in that it’s on the roadmap but it’s not a priority.

2 Likes

Wait, what? When did that change? Do you can’t go back to any of the digital banks once you leave now?

Recently-ish. At least since before 2023.

All the neo banks when they were babies, would happily go in and manually do things for you, which is what starling did for me after the first time I closed it.

But none of them seemingly built an automated process for it, and having grown, aren’t prepared to go that above and beyond anymore. and Starling are apparently no different.

1 Like