General thread about Monzo :)

Fortunately that’s not the case.

A quick look at Starling’s website reveals that they won’t reopen accounts but ex-customers are welcome to approach them about opening a fresh account (noting, though, the well-established 12-wait after leaving).

2 Likes

Starling worked for me when I went back them in early April and they agreed to release my mobile number to let me reapply after the 12 months that they state

3 Likes

What about rules on keeping people’s information? Would they not have to delete my number and email at some point anyway :thinking:

Not if they have a valid business reason for keeping them, no. Somebody on MSE did an SAR with Barclays which revealed they still held details even though accounts had been closed for 20 years+.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that one!!

As it did for me the first time. I’ve been explicitly told I won’t be allowed back again though. No mention of a 12 month wait, though it’s almost been 12 months. I’m not really in a hurry to have a starling account again anyway. They don’t do anything for me.

1 Like

This is getting a bit silly now :joy:

1 Like

So is the Telegraph’s war against Fintechs. A clickbait headline for a story that isn’t limited to Monzo (or Fintechs, even).

3 Likes

With Starling you can just login to your empty user account and open a new personal account using the standard ‘open a new account flow’ once you’re in. I did it last month, though my old account had been closed over 12 months so no idea if that limit still applies.

3 Likes

It does, this is why you could do that. At one stage if you were within the 12 month limit you could ask them to disassociate the number but no longer.

1 Like

I’ve noticed a pattern with these “politician denied / had account cancelled by X bank” stories. People seem to assume the politician is in the right…which goes against everything we’ve come to know about these politicians since the early 2010s. :rofl:

I remember the last time this happened over on the Monzo Community, this place was born :eyes:

1 Like

I thought this forum was as a result of Fintech Talk disappearing.

Monzo forum back now - just some standard Discourse maintenance, apparently.

3 Likes

I think you’re right - but these forums all look the same (except this one, of course :grin:).

1 Like

Even worse when the same users inhabit them :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was :+1:

Yep, we were born after Fintech Talk closed. Although Monzo did go read only shortly afterwards for a period.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Though I suspect I, and quite a few others, arrived after the Monzo blackout (and some left shortly thereafter)

1 Like

Wish it was still up in read only as opposed to the camel. There were some useful discussions on there that I’ve often wanted to go back for to find things.

1 Like