General TSB Thread

Go for it (if there isn’t one). I’m re-joining them presently. I left after a few brief months in 2020 - where the app left me unimpressed and I couldn’t turn down a switch offer. Now the tables have turned, I’m intrigued to see if the proposition is much better. Assuming they pay me the £125 without hassle I will keep going for the £75 + £5 x 6.

1 Like

@breezy thanks :slight_smile:

Will now give that thread a read.

You would get £20-40 extra if you went through Topcashback

The only thing is TCB don’t support opening an account via the mobile app.

I was tempted by the tsb switching incentive to open a new account. I got to the end of the form screens and, poof!, error message and application disappeared. Life is just too short…

I got through on the second attempt. Worth doing as there’s £270 to be had.

£125 out of the gate if you transfer 2 DDs, use app and debit card once by August 31.

£75 for £500/month deposit and five debit card transactions from September to February.

Another fiver a month if you go for 20 debit card transactions which I’ll be covering by £1 a day Amazon top-up.

And £30 if you do it via TCB or Quidco.

Bit of a hassle but £270 free money.

2 Likes

Exactly the same happened to me in Firefox. Using Safari I was able to get through.

Worth noting that TSB will only credit search you once per day - so it’s probably worth getting it done today as

1. The (tiny) footprint is there now
  2. After today it’ll be difficult/impossible to do everything in time to qualify for the offer.
1 Like

I needed to use Chrome. Didn’t work with Firefox.

Worth knowing that TSB’s entire website is very shonky indeed. Higeldy pigeldy to say the very least.

Their email comms are also quite broken and they insist on sending far too much paper in the post.

The app is alright.

Thanks for the advice. Will try again using Chrome this evening!

If you are putting the £500 in and transferring it straight out, you may have to call the fraud department who are rather busy. 20 mins on hold, then ID upload then 58 mins on hold on the second call.

Strangely, same transaction to other half the both sons and back to me didn’t trigger the fraud team. Wonder if the receiving account has been marked as not a fraud one after the first transaction?

I’ve moved a few bills over on top of the minimum two direct debits so that when I send £500 over - a proportion of it will actually be used in the account. Then I’ll move any I don’t need for the 5/20 debit card payments at my
own leisure

Someone on chat said the two direct debits don’t actually need to be collected each month - they just need to be active. But better safe than sorry imo. For the more lucrative £75 part I will prob do genuine purchases for similar reasons, for the other 15 I will top up a mix of Revolut and YBS.

I don’t completely dislike the app, I could use it for a spending account if there weren’t so many other fintech options out there. Lack of instant notifications and dark mode isn’t great (RBS has a better app imo). Whether I keep it post the offers remains to be seen - prob not if I become eligible for switch deals with certain banks again.

I’d check that Revolut/YBS and similar count as they’re not purchases. For me the £1/day Amazon top-up is nice and simple as I just need to add £40/month and it’s all automatic after that. I use Plum plus Moneybox for the DDs, hence the £40 total.

I have autobalancing setup with the linked savings account so just need a fiver or so in the current account.

You also need £500 in for each of the six months so, for me, £500 in, £460 out and £135 next March.

By then, as you say, we’ll be into the next switching season.

Seen a few people on MSE saying it’s fine but suppose I should check for myself

Will do 5 via genuine purchases at a minimum until I find out

£500 will be going in monthly - yet to work out the residuals

I’ve read on the MSE forum that the switch cashback payout may be on the 1st of September.

Yes they are.

I think usually things like Revolut/ybs don’t count in cashback schemes, should be fine for hitting x number of transactions afaik

Fingers crossed! I’ve done what I need to now

Depends if they care about MCC or not. If it’s phrased like a spending target (i.e. Halifax’s ‘spend £500 each month’) then you’re fine. If you see anything about ‘exclusions’ then you’re probably not, but that doesn’t mean those transactions aren’t debit card purchases; just means they are excluded ones.

What payments are
excluded?
• These payments aren’t included: ATM or other cash withdrawals using your card, Direct Debits, Standing
Orders, bill payments made in a TSB branch and future dated payments.

Looking good, but to play it safe for the 5 transactions I need for the £75 bonus I will use the card out and about (possibly tin hat antics but hey ho) for the other 15 I will manufacture it via Rev/YBS as planned.