Google I/O

For anyone interested lots of new developments with Android and Android 12. Just some of the things that stood out to me.

• Complete redesign of UI
  • Separate secure folder for photos that you want to keep private
  • New privacy dashboard
  • Increased privacy controls
  • Indicator to show when app is using camera or microphone
  • Can completely disable microphone and camera for all apps via quick settings
  • More improvements to password manager
  • Since 2017 Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy have received highest security rating from Gartner
  • ā€œSimply put the most secure devices run on androidā€

I would get the beta but donā€™t want to risk apps not working.

3 Likes

Google seemingly taking a progressive interest in privacy is very interesting to me. I hope we see more to come from them in that aspect.

1 Like

Beta 1 (12) works fine. I installed it as soon as available. I generally avoid the Developer Previews after getting burnt several years ago with Google Pay, but the last couple of years have seen surprisingly stable DPā€™s.

Beta is fine to install. It looks great and all (my) apps work without issue - including banking and payment apps.

Itā€™s even made my Pixel 5 snappier too.

1 Like

I did go through the new privacy options they have available at the moment and Iā€™ve set things like my search history to automatically delete after 18 months :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m only really concerned about the starling app but I have no idea if that works :thinking:

Monzo, Revolut, HSBC all work OK, as does Google Pay. I havenā€™t tested it myself, but I suspect Starlingā€™s app will be OK too.

1 Like

is 18 months the minimum?

If so Iā€™d like to see them offer more options here. Iā€™ve personally grown fond of having my data purged from services every 30 days. That allows stuff to stick around just long enough in the event I need to find something, but not too long that it puts my privacy or security in jeopardy. Anything I need for longer I can save in a more permanent manner on an ad-hoc basis.

You can select 3, 18 and 36 months. 18 is just the default suggestion.

1 Like

There is also this - interesting in the light of various court casesā€¦

Iā€™m surprised they would allow this considering google and apple have argued this is less secure and doesnā€™t provide a good user experience.

You have always been able to manually install apps on Android via sideloading the .apk file, so a third party App Store is less of a stretch.

Apple have only ever allowed apps to be distributed through Testflight for testing, or loaded directly onto a test device via Xcode (a limited form of enterprise-managed sideloading is also available, via tools like Apple Configurator, but this is not the same thing as they quickly clamp down on any use which isnā€™t internal-only).

It looks like Google are trying to leverage the whole Epic Games saga to have a pop at Apple, while touting their newfound open approach to app stores as a benefit.

I have been known as something of a Google fanboy for a number of years. Although Iā€™m still firmly an Android man, Iā€™ve found myself using fewer Google services these days for privacy reasons. I no longer use Chrome, for example, and Iā€™m in the middle of switching my main mail account away from Gmail. Iā€™ll still use Google products and services, but itā€™s no longer my go-to default.

I think Googleā€™s hand has been forced by (a) Appleā€™s changes with respect to privacy, and (b) the general publicā€™s increased understanding of online privacy, ads, tracking, etc.

4 Likes

Forced or not, Iā€™m glad to see them making changes either way. Itā€™s refreshing in the face of Facebookā€™s stubbornness, and certainly leaves me open to the idea of either returning to some google services or continuing to use the services I currently do such as Google Search, and YouTube.

Appleā€™s ads have been especially clever at educating regular folk exactly whatā€™s happening, by replicating what privacy violations would look like in the physical world. Itā€™s a little hyperbolic, but very impactful, and if itā€™s transforming public opinion enough that Google are starting to make changes then I am so here for that.

2 Likes

ā€œChrome is the most secure browser in the worldā€

Youā€™ve made a mistake :joy:

You canā€™t have it both ways. If you want complete privacy thatā€™s fine but the services offered to you will be less useful.

1 Like

Ditto here @Dan - where will you go for email and why did you select them? Just thinking about transferring gives me the shivers, so many institutions have my Gmail address. :disappointed: R-

More than happy them knowing my every waking minute on the internet, makes no difference to me :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Here you go @anon62949695:

After doing a lot of research, Iā€™ve settled on mailbox.org - a bit more info in the post above.

1 Like

I agree, my internet activity would be so boring to anyone taking the time to look at it. :grinning: R-

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.