Hello neon

There are plenty who will :rofl:

I closed my Monese account within a week of opening it, a few years back, cos they wanted me to pay them to send me a physical debit card. Not happening. I only opened it for the TopCashback :smile:

I agree about paying for a card design - the delivery fee I’m less fussed about. The big banks can subside this, and in some cases I’ve paid for petrol/parking to hand in ID and shelled out about the same.

I paid a Monese deliver fee recently, hoping to take it back and then some via referrals :slight_smile:

And routing back - it is a nice new design with Revolut but I shan’t be buying haha

https://twitter.com/MakingMonzo/status/1542092795678265345

I had someone ask me to open a monzo account so they could get one of these cards… :joy:

Cool. And?

1 Like

Surely people aren’t actually opening bank accounts so someone can get a summer bank card :person_shrugging::grimacing:

Plenty of people seem to have persuaded their friends and family to open a Chase account for the referral incentive…

1 Like

Yeah but that was cash… £20 wasn’t it? I.e. 2 hours of work at minimum wage. Wouldn’t be enough to incentivise me but I can see that it would be if I had more time on my hands and friends to hassle.

To do the same for a brightly coloured debit card which will make 0 difference… well if it works hats off to them. I do wonder how many actual quality referrals Monzo is getting out of this tho; with Chase it’s easy for the referred customer to get a benefit straight away with little effort (decent interest and/or cashback). With Monzo you get a nice UI.

1 Like

Plus everything else that Monzo have to offer.

My point is that those features will already have been sought out by those who want them. They’re not objectively market-leading financially, as Chase is.

Imagine you’re a 60-something year old not particularly tech savvy grandparent with a smartphone. Your grandchild nags you to open an account so they can get a perk, and you do it. Would Chase or Monzo be more likely to offer something for you post-referral?

Chase. 1.5% savings, 1% cashback

I am 60-something and Monzo is my main account. I also have a Chase account but withdrew my (substantial) savings because of their poor reliability.

2 Likes

The Chase incentive is obviously better. You could argue their card is semi cool (although not in my book lol)

Monese offering a good one presently, £20-£30 and 1.5% cashback for 6 months.

(& a better UI than both in my humble opinion!)

Expires today! 30 June 2022

Get 1.5% money back on the first £2,000 worth of qualifying card payments you make for the rest of 2022! Download Monese and top up with £250 by 30/06/2022. Learn more.

Good thing you stopped reading after that and ignored the rest of the scenario isn’t it? Otherwise you might find I wasn’t talking about you (and you’ve kind of proved my point because you’ve already sought the feature!).

Do they need to do the physical card transaction too?

1 Like

They are opening them for the £5 they get. Or to help friends/family – not everything has to be a net benefit for people to do it

1 Like

Also, what was it with

Who kicked it off again, by implying how ridiculous it is that people would ask them to join for a neon card?

This forum is full of anti-Monzo bias.

2 Likes

As @Mathew said, there’s a range of viewpoints on show here and elsewhere and sometimes posters overstate the point.

You’ve made your irritation clear.

Let’s move on please.

scratch that