Hello neon

For me personally this sort of thing should be a cherry on top of consistent feature addition and/or UI improvements - neither of which I feel Monzo have achieved in some time.

No issue if people want the card, but replacing your main card seems a total polava. You can get multiple physical cards from one source elsewhere, perhaps if Monzo offered this improvement alongside the cards it might be a bit more of a gain?

Beats people chucking cards in the bin and/or losing cards they’ve already gone through a paywall to access.

If I wanted a nice new bright card, I’d prefer to open a new account and test that out than replace my only source of payment on an account. This is particularly pertinent with Monzo as the virtual cards are paywalled whilst free elsewhere & as far as I know don’t work with mobile wallets but I may be out of date here.

Well, the more serious side is what it reflects about monzo’s priorities. They’ve got a recognised brand and are squeezing everything they can out of it, with a big questionmark to me when it comes to (good) value.

So you’re saying a bank shouldn’t capitalise on their brand recognition?

Of course they can do whatever they want and if it works bully for them. As an armchair critique/enthusiast its perfectly valid to question whether or not it really makes them a stronger fintech prospect or if it shows they are perhaps running out of ideas.

2 Likes

Does anyone know why people post photos of Monzo staff members faces as if they know them? :joy:

2 Likes

I won’t ask you to point out examples, but your query casts my mind back to the initial days of Monzo and the importance that was attached to the forum or community as an asset to brand development.

In fact, I recall many a thread where the product and the community were conflated and regarded as part and parcel of the same thing.

It was a great way to spread brand awareness, but led to confusion later. That, particularly so, when Monzo the bank actively distanced itself from community activity.

I realise my response doesn’t in any way answer your question, sorry :smirk:, but it does remind me of the fluid relationship which evolved between community members and the bank.

I guess people have nostalgia and this marketing exercise brings it back? I think that’s what people are getting at here, it doesn’t feel like anything innovative.

Do you mean the great, Monzo staff-sanctioned bad photoshop memes?

Yes I was just a little confused - have some of the long term community members met them in person?

Genuine question.

It’s just a bit of camaraderie between some of the more longer-standing community members and staff that post there. I don’t see what’s unusual about it…

2 Likes

No problem - like I said - just asking

1 Like

I have gone ahead and ordered a yellow like the colour.

4 Likes

Unsure how three new coloured cards can warrant this sort of engagement? What on earth could they all be talking about :man_facepalming:

1 Like

God, the condescension from the set of banking fanbois on this forum against another set of banking fanbois is off the scale. Sitting here obliquely critically discussing a group of people who are part of a community most of you have participated in yourselves. You can’t even bring yourselves to say the words “Monzo forum”, you’re that much above it. You do all understand the desire for a new card, because a lot of you couldn’t wait to share your delight at Child & Co. cards and chequebooks a year ago, so please could you try to make this forum more accepting of others and less hypocritical?

7 Likes

Hi all

Just wanted to jump in here as a quick reminder that we’re a forum for all fintechs and all users, including those with a like for some and a dislike for others - we all have our favourites.

Be kind and friendly, and enjoy your time here.

6 Likes

Apologies as this will sound like criticism, but I am genuinely curious: why step in now; and not during the above 50-odd comments having a laugh at the expense of other fellow users of this, or another forum?

It makes it seem like condemning the latest comment and (indirectly) endorsing past behaviour

2 Likes

I think constructive criticism/genuine bemusement at the level of chat around a marketing/branding promo is quite far from laughing at users.

It had settled down and the above comment risks kicking it all off again - so the correct time for intervention, imo :+1:

1 Like

Yes, this thread looks, upon reflection, to have aired a broad set of views from those who’ve been genuinely bemused/ amused on the one hand to those who openly are stricken by new card designs.

Move on, should we?

Revolut have released a chromatic card - similar timing?

Can be obtained either via upgrading from standard or buying for £13.

Paying just for a physical debit card. Man alive.