Monzo account temporarily frozen again

Just had my monzo account frozen for the second time the first time was a few months ago it’s always when my partner transfers her half of the bills was unfrozen again after about 10 mins but definitely starting my make me think about returning to starling as never had this problem with them. You would think they would have a way to make payments such as from you partner safe so that the computer doesn’t always trip especially when it’s similar amounts each month

1 Like

Was it unfrozen automatically? Or did you have to provide them with evidence.

1 Like

Both times was unfrozen automatically didn’t ask for any information and I’m financially linked on my credit report to my partner

1 Like

If its an AML trigger its OTT. If it’s a social engineering check then its probably appropriate.

Going to wait and see how the next couple of months go of my minimum premium period then maybe CASS to starling

1 Like

Very odd. All I’ve been using my Monzo account for the last year has been to add joint credit card spend on a shared tab, get paid back, then transfer that money out immediately. I – touch wood – haven’t had an issue, but then we also have a joint account so are linked in Monzo’s systems if that makes sense. We stopped now that Housemate is a thing though but that would’ve been very stressful!

2 Likes

Yes is a bit stressful especially when you know your wages are due in as well and they just say it’s extra checks being done even tho they done these checks before and she’s still using the same account as she sent payments from before. Never had this problem in 3 years at starling or any other bank.

Think monzo have their aml algorithm set too high!!

2 Likes

You might consider having your wages paid instead into a Starling account anyway, without going the whole hog and CASSing away.

At least then you’d remove the uncertainty at pay-day. And could reassess thereafter.

2 Likes

This is the response from customer service

There has to be something else that’s tripping the system as this is normal behaviour and what thousands and thousands of people do every month.

3 Likes

Can’t think of anything else that would trip it 2 salary payments from limited companies bills going out and a £25 payment in every month from my mum and my partners half of the bills

Roll forward and partner has made a transfer of around £200 and low and behold account temporarily frozen again!

Wow, you’re not having great luck with Monzo, are you?

Are you sure your partner isn’t up to something dodgy? :laughing: or maybe shares name with a PEP?

2 Likes

No not really and even after they said they would make a note of it on my account. Don’t think she is she don’t even thought credit cards etc cause she don’t trust all that!!!

Switch away

5 Likes

I’m currently switching back to starling which is a shame cause I liked the features monzo offer

3 Likes

You’ve been patient. You can always revisit Monzo further down the road. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m doing a manual switch so as to keep the account open so maybe one time in the future can revisit

I was going to be suggest that. Good plan.

2 Likes

I always dislike how they will not / cannot tell you the reason an account was frozen, but it does seem like its either a logic bug in monzos programming in which case switching will solve all your problems, or maybe your partner has been flagged by the banks. Presumably you’ll find out pretty quick if you switch where she’s paying you money.

2 Likes