Nationwide accounts

Damn, I just applied to switch to a flexdirect account but forgot I had used Experian credit report lock, I remembered just as I hit the final submit. So, the nationwide hard credit check failed. I’ve unlocked it now, but have an email from nationwide saying they need to do more checks and will be in touch in the next 10 days. Nothing I can do but wait I guess. Hope it doesn’t affect the switching £ incentive for me.

There’s a massive list of options here Savings/investment DDs and debit card deposits- An updated list — MoneySavingExpert Forum

1 Like

Great, thank you!

Does anyone know what type of Visa card Nationwide issue on the Flex Plus account?

I.e. is it a normal Visa or is it Visa Infinite?

Normal Visa, though I’m not sure what Visa Infinite is!

My Revolut metal is Infinite. As is one of my premium ones. Never hired a car though.

If you ever want hire a car the Infinite label means you can register for president status or the equivalent with Hertz, Avis and others. On Hertz that gets you a 15% discount, 10000 free km (Vs 3000 normally), 23c a km over that (43c normally), free second driver and £50 one way dropoff (Vs £260 normally). All told that saved me around £1000 in the summer. The CDW saves another £300.

Hence me wanting to get another Infinite or World Elite card now that Curve have dropped the insurance.

1 Like

Sadly it looks like Nationwide issue their cards as platinum so you don’t get the discounts.

Just go for Revolut metal, it pays for itself

I’ve been looking at it but the insurance doesn’t work for me whereas the Nationwide insurance would work really well.

That said, Revolut metal looks like it would pay for itself in other ways. One major downer though is that I’ve read is that it’s not accepted for the car hire discount so I wouldn’t have saved the £1000 this year.

Only remembered that Chase is World Elite which should get me the discount although not the CDW (included with Revolut).

Haven’t worked out the perfect solution yet :frowning:

Is this kind of issue commonplace? Having had an account a month or so, I have seen two such messages in the last week!

I’ve not seen that one myself so I guess not too common.

The other one was inbound and outbound payments being stuck in a queue, the night before my salary was coming in for the first time! That said, I had no issues there.

Previously though I cancelled a direct debit from my CASS and it went out anyway (albeit only a token charity payment). I complained and they paid out.

They’ve given me a good deal on a credit card and some marketing (£200 switch and 8% regular)/complaints freebies. I did like the app being simple, but it all just doesn’t feel as reliable or intuitive as elsewhere?

Think I’ll enjoy some of the freebies a little longer then move on. Sadly I doubt that’ll be due to a switch bonus as I’ve done them all. My boss is going to love that payroll…but it’s all within my rights :joy:

I’ve grown up with it from the website days a long time back so it’s the one that seems intuitive to me :grin:

I don’t know that it’s any less reliable than the others, maybe just that they’re more upfront when things go wrong?

1 Like

It’s not to say I haven’t seen all customer payment issue notification’s elsewhere, but for the cancelled direct debit going out they could provide no explanation (cancelled about 2 weeks prior to the date) which was a bit concerning!

The app looks nice and simple, but I don’t how it handles automatic log outs/log back in, all feels rather clunky

1 Like

Travel Insurance changes for Flex Plus customers, including abolishing the maximum age limit

New UI

No more card reader - New selfie authentication

1 Like

Now… they’re talking :+1:t3:. It might feel like catchup but it’s a significant step for Nationwide.

1 Like

Not so fond of this though tbh.

Surely biometrics should be sufficient, like with nearly every other banking app I possess :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I like it. When people say “I didn’t make that bank transfer” nationwide can come back to them and say well whos this mug in this selfie :skull:

1 Like