Nationwide accounts

Yep, they’re old-school in that regard - but in a good way.

And you can talk to your local branch if you see the need - as I did to sort out my incoming ISA transfer this year.

They’ll never set the house on fire tech-wise. But then again, they don’t aim to.

3 Likes

Interesting, I remember TSB made a selling point of being able to call your branch directly on a local area code number.

My nearest three (and possibly more) have closed down within the last 18 months though so that is less useful than it might have been in the past, as I’d be calling a fairly remote branch anyway.

From what’s been said, Nationwide seem pretty good on the phone but making an out of hours transfer wouldn’t be possible. That’s a bit of a shame but, then again, not a massive issue. The main reason I’ve had to speak to various banks on the phone in the last 5 years or so has been to deal with a transfer when the anti-fraud system has auto-blocked it due to being out of character for whatever reason (which is pretty rare anyway, at all banks).

When HSBC’s app wasn’t working on iOS 15 at first I did use the automated system to make a transfer out of my HSBC account into an account at a different bank (which was already saved as a payee). That was very quick and easy with their voice recognition feature and the automated system, although I wouldn’t expect Nationwide to necessarily have all those bells and whistles!

I suppose you can always fall back on the card reader and “the Internet Bank”, as they call it, to make a transfer.

1 Like

What type of transfer are you referring to?

I was mainly thinking of a situation a bit like the iOS 15 one I was just describing, where I couldn’t use the app and would perhaps be away from home without the card reader as well. Potentially also wanting to make it at an out-of-business-hours time.

Also the other potential situation of an online/app transfer not being possible due to being too large for their daily limits (which are lower than most banks), and how they would deal with that.

As I say, a very niche situation but, at the time, potentially a time sensitive or important one.

2 Likes

Got my Nationwide switch scheduled.

It’s part-paying for a lovely leather laptop bag from Edinburgh, UK.

Absolutely love supporting small British shops. Especially since I need a bag for university now, too.

1 Like

Nationwide have guttered Telephone Banking. A couple of years ago they removed external payments from the service. Danske have done the same thing too.

I imagine this was a cost thing. Ratio wise, telephone banking is much worse than online banking fraud so I understand but agree your outlier of situation. It means you would have to go to a branch with Nationwide, so they really need to pick up the digital offering.

1 Like

I’m sure the Scottish cow appreciates that you’ve made that Nationwide switch!

1 Like

They understood the need, for Her Majesty !!

Will perhaps make a thread on it, since it’ll be coming by the 25th according to DHL.

Well having been told it would arrive in the post & receiving a text indicating the same, I called for an update. I was then informed that the application had, had ‘an issue’ and I needed to reapply. I was told the hard search wouldn’t affect me as it wasn’t for an overdraft and it wouldn’t be visible whether I was approved or not (this is false, it will just show a search either way). The same logic applied to me applying all over again, apparently, even though I’d earlier been given a customer number. Without intending to be rude, the agent on the phone was clueless. I now need to ring another number, awful!

1 Like

So the Nationwide app would prompt the card reader being required?

Sort of renders this process redundant then, if you can send the registered payees without needing one? Although I’ve heard sometimes you still need to…

2 Likes

Yes, I think it would send you to an open banking portal on the website and require use of the card reader to authorise (effectively, it’s a way of creating a new payee, not equivalent to paying an existing payee).

I haven’t actually tried it with Nationwide, but that’s what RBS/NatWest do and they also use card readers so I would think it’s likely to be the same?

Hmmm, I top up Revolut from RBS using open banking (from the Revolut app) and have never used a card reader? I had paid it as an existing payee prior to doing this, though.

1 Like

There must be some intelligent logic there on the RBS end which identifies it as a pre-approved existing payee then?
This might be something worth experimenting with at different banks to see what happens, I haven’t used Open Banking payment initiation much yet so only have limited experience with it.

Once (or perhaps if would be more appropriate given the current state of things) my Nationwide account is opened, I’ll test it before the CASS completes as the payee would be added at this stage…

The only thing offsetting the hassle of this so far, is I’ve seen you can do a Chaps payment online rather than in a branch (as opposed to RBS) which could be genuinely useful at some point

1 Like

Interesting, I didn’t realise you could do that!

1 Like

Ask us to make a CHAPS payment using the Internet Bank

Is it a new payee? If so, take a second to protect yourself from fraud. Remember, if you willingly send money to someone, we can’t always get it back for you.

1. Log in to the Internet Bank.
  2. Click on the Move money tab at the top of page.
  3. Find the Other Payments section at the bottom of the page.
  4. Where it says Make a payment using CHAPS, select the account you want to pay with and press ‘Go’,
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to make the CHAPS payment.

I’ve had to re-approve a CASS’d payee on Nationwide in the past - with a Nationwide card reader approved payee this only happened when you changed the reference field.

1 Like

Have they’ll still not changed that?

Lol so, Nationwide have gone from you need to reapply. To, you don’t get the T&C from a branch and return it. Did that. Now I’ve been told again the original application needs deleting and I need to reapply again.

Never thought this could be so bad! Someone is checking if they can use the original search, otherwise a complaint has been raised by the agent I spoke with…

Can’t use the original search. Experian contacted to have it removed (by nationwide), complaint is in! Not sure I’ll bother reapplying and will chance my arm at getting compo money instead. Dear me…