Nationwide accounts

They should give you compensation for all the time this has wasted + the second search (which was a mistake due to their systems, not you intending to apply twice).

So, I’ve only applied once. This is the one they’re saying needs deleting. But this did involve a search. Where I was advised wrong was that if I got the T&C from a branch it would allow the application to go through. This was false.

They’re saying if I want the account I need to apply again & the original application is done for. They’re removing the original search to allow me to do this. I think I’ll leave it which they said is fine, they’re still removing the search with Experian as it their error in the first application.

Another thing for me to do, to check experian in a few months…

You’re right though, they should compensate me for my time whether I bother going for the account again or not

1 Like
3 Likes

Interesting, but I’m not at all surprised.

Debbie never seemed to really want to stay at TSB, and it always felt to me as though her multi-year turnaround plan (which is coming to an end soon) would see her leave the business once it was completed.

The long term future of TSB is also very much in doubt, so anybody in a high-up position there would probably be looking to jump ship.

I am slightly surprised that Nationwide’s market share of current accounts is 1 in 10, though; I thought it would be lower.

It’s probably going to boil down to 2008 and Nationwide really playing on that they’re community owned. My friend worked there (not sure if he still does) and the mantra was every time someone said bank, they’d get corrected that it was a Building Society.

Pretty annoying, really.
Just like the slogan “Building Society, Nationwide”. It’s all quite W1A to me, rearranging the title “Nationwide Building Society”.

I’ve also read of people querying things like why they can’t use the Post Office to pay in cash, and Nationwide replying that it’s “because they are a building society and operate for the benefit of their members” as if that’s some kind of answer. Clearly, it’s just something they have chosen not to spend money on. At least be honest about it.

From a regulatory perspective, building societies are less highly-regulated, so you would think that this would actually be a disadvantage as a customer. Although Nationwide have got so big that they are now included in the “CMA9” (the Competiton & Markets Authority’s list of the 9 biggest banks/quasi-banks), so some regulations targeted specifically at the CMA9 do cover them.

3 Likes

Not sure why, as I hardly use my Nationwide credit card since they removed the cashback perk, but they’ve offered me a £1000 increase to my available credit :man_shrugging:

Accepted, though doubt I’ll ever use it.

Funny! Just offered me a big increase as well. I’ve had the card for years and years, but this is the first time

Problems again

3 Likes

That’s a bit of a shocker.

2 Likes

Second one they have had lately my partner banks with them

2 Likes

Seems like a repeat of the previous issue.

Perhaps they didn’t completely fix it when they thought they did?

2 Likes

More problems at Nationwide. It seems they’ve now introduced a temporary throttle on the number of Faster Payments, meaning… they’re no longer fast.

2 Likes

That’s really poor. Shows how fragile their infrastructure is if they can’t handle a large volume of transactions.

I wonder why it’s happening now, though.

2 Likes

Bit worrying as happened several times in last few weeks.

3 Likes

The hamster died?!

5 Likes

At a guess, a bug somewhere in the processing chain is causing intermittent errors, perhaps meaning that some payments have to be attempted multiple times before they go through?

That kind of issue would then put huge pressure on infrastructure, as overall payment volumes would consequently be much higher than anticipated (and probably beyond the capacity of the system design).

It could be date-related, like the recent Microsoft Exchange YK22 bug.

3 Likes

I’d avoid them like a barge pole - their systems fudged a basic online account opening for me.

I must have been one of the lucky ones yesterday as my transfer from Skipton to Nationwide went smoothly :man_shrugging:

2 Likes