Nationwide App Change Coming šŸ‘€

My Wife and I use our Joint Nationwide account for all of our monthly household direct debits and day to day food expenses. We didnā€™t get Ā£100 out of the Nationwide and weā€™ve funnelled many Ā£1000ā€™s into the account for almost 15 years. Obviously, weā€™re not special enough :thinking:

You are of course absolutely correct. Their current savings offerings are absolutely pathetic. The 8 percent offering is on Ā£200 a month only :thinking: which in my pointless opinion isnā€™t honestly that great at all in the grand scheme of things. I currently save my entire monthly take home salary and shove it all in Tandem at 5 percent (I live off my pension). Nationwide instant access is half Tandemā€™s rate. This is why I donā€™t have any Nationwide savings products.

I am however, a great fan of the insurance package, so I wonā€™t be dumping Nationwide any decade soon

As for the rebrand, well actually, I quite like it. Itā€™s completely inoffensive and looks fresh in my opinion. So itā€™s not for everyone and the ultra grey doddery stick waving customers are no doubt appalled, but as with everything, folks will live with it or move on.

1 Like

Well thatā€™s my weekend ruined :flushed:

2 Likes

Why not shove Ā£200 in Nationwide and the rest in Tandem? Doing so would yield ~Ā£103 in interest whereas that same investment sat in Tandem for the same period would earn ~Ā£65.

Leaving easy money on the table, again.

Or, go a step further and shove the whole lot in different regular savers, with an easy access rate to catch them as they mature (and then drip feed once more).

And so why you were not deemed special enough :rofl:

2 Likes

Good point well presented :laughing:

To be fair though, with the amount of personal savings I currently have, my annual interest for my personal tax allowance on savings, comes in at just under the Ā£1000 threshold as a basic rate taxpayer. If I try to eek out any more in savings, Iā€™m going to be paying tax on my savings and I just canā€™t be arsed with that :laughing:

Unfortunately, I will be paying a shit-load of tax, but at least I am fortunate enough to be in the position I am in, so wonā€™t complain tbh.

Many are struggling.

1 Like

Your savings arenā€™t taxed, the interest you earn on them is taxed at the same rate as all your other earnings.

I donā€™t understand this position either, you still take home the lion share of what you put in and there is no ā€˜faffā€™, itā€™s either captured through PAYE or sent as a bill.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m in a similar vein, I pay a crap load of tax already too on both my pension and salary. Gets on my tits to be honest :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I donā€™t hate the rebrand but just missed it opening an account card wise. I do, in an odd way, quite like how simple the app is. There isnā€™t much wordy clutter when payments come in and out (like with tsb - upper and lower case etc - or even rbs in the way it shows the payment reference at first)

App looks the same for now? Edit: I hadnā€™t updated it lol, app still fairly simple. Donā€™t mind it for facilitating the odd payments etc

1 Like

That could mean anything. Developments are not necessarily improvements.

But development will mean building on what they already have. We need some positivity at least :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m not trying to be negative, but we should set expectations low. Letā€™s face it - they are a bit like First Direct, always promising improvements but little tangible change ever materialises.

So far the only feature theyā€™ve launched for three years, as far as I can remember, is a basic gambling block that every major bank has had for ages.

3 Likes

My Apple Pay has updated

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just added my Flex-direct sole account to ApplePay. I actually really like the look of the new card in the Apple stack.

1 Like

100 percent agree. A totally fair assessment. Theyā€™re sadly lacking some way behind the likes of Chase/RBS etc.

1 Like

Septic Peg was right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I notice that theyā€™re still branding the legacy Select card are a ā€˜Credit Cardā€™ whilst branding the current as a ā€˜Member Cardā€™ They seem to prefer to have a tranche of legacy products rather than just simplifying their range.

Even their current product range is confused - take the FlexDirect and FlexAccount - merging them would cost very little as the go-to interest rate is trash at 1% up to Ā£1500 and lots wouldnā€™t be eligible for any new account benefits.

The Member Card and Select Card have differing benefits (which have 0% FX and lower APR respectively), as do FlexAccount and FlexDirect (which have branch access and in-credit interest respectively).

They are far from alone in having legacy products no longer available to new applicants - Bank of Scotland have a whole load of them from when their product offer was aligned with Halifaxā€™s rather than Lloydsā€™; TSB and Lloyds still have legacy products relating to their product range pre-separation; Santander has 123, 123 Lite and Select which are all NLA; Amex have a whole family of Charge Cards which are NLA but wonā€™t stop for existing applicants; Barclaycard have the Hilton cardsā€¦ honestly itā€™s harder to find financial institutions which donā€™t have a few skeletons still lurking about.

2 Likes