NatWest Bank

And then there’s the card reader that turns up a few weeks later (you don’t need it to access the account).

I find it’s about two weeks for NatWest/RBS and add another week for Ulster.

I’ve had used switching offers on various NWG brands - some new accounts and others existing accounts.

As for onboarding, the account Is usually setup real-time and fully operational overnight. If you’re able to use their on-line banking you’ll be able to see details fairly quickly.

Fintechs aren’t really any quicker with things like debit cards.

This was never the case for me for both RBS and Natwest. May be you already had existing accounts with them. Starting afresh has been a nightmare for me. They do their things in some “weird” way.
How did you get the account details overnight as these were never sent via email or on confirmation screen.

You can not use online banking or the app (for the first time) if you do not know the account details. I am wondering how you were able to do it overnight.

I’m still waiting to be able to view my account on the app or online banking.

They also sent me an email about a document they’ve sent me about my new account but obviously I can’t view it :grimacing:

I possibly did have an old customer number as I’ve had student/postgrad and old switching offers from them to be fair

If you apply as an existing customer (and you don’t opt for the ‘legacy’ form) you are told your new account details at the end of a successful application and they appear on your OLB/app next working day.

This makes a lot of difference.

1 Like

Yeah most (all?) legacy banks aren’'t going to provide access to new customers straight away. Their systems are built just that a customer’s profile is created (i.e. as it would have been back in t’day via a branch) then telephone and/or digital banking added on to that. Some of these steps are completed as overnight batch processes, and are interdependent, which means it takes several working days to get everything created, then another 3ish working days to get that snail mail to you.

Yes they don’t but with Lloyds, TSB and Halifax you get to see the account number and Sort code at time of approval or being accepted and you can make a deposit straight away though you will not have immediate access to online/app banking.
First time I got to see my RBS and Natwest account number and sort code was on a debit card, nowhere else and those details are needed to set up the app.

1 Like

I can see my account in the app! :partying_face: :tada:

I’m pleasantly surprised actually but I don’t think I’ll be leaving Starling just yet :joy:

1 Like

Natwest Group debit cards don’t have account numbers on them? I think the newer ones don’t even have the sort code printed.

Joined Natwest 24 April 2023, my card has the account number and sort code.

I left feedback about something using their feedback form and I’ve now had an email titled your complaint :joy:

It sounded like one may be :joy:

That’s interesting - must be very recent, none of the cards I’ve had issued since they switched to portrait have had any account details on; nor do any of the Child & Co cards (which were reissued as Mastercard around March/April).

April 24th for me too but no sort code or account number on the card.

I got a response to my complaint that wasn’t a complaint. They’re giving me £100 as compensation for the negative experience I’ve had.

Is this normal behaviour with the bigger banks because I can’t believe that :person_shrugging:

Yes because if you make a complaint it will cost more than £100 to fix

I think I’m going to have to make another complaint…

I don’t know if it just hasn’t updated or something but a standing order I’ve setup does not have the reference I set it up with which needs to be right so it goes to the right account. It’s now STANDING ORDER and I know how much the Natwest app loves everything being all caps so that’s what they’ve replaced it with.

Don’t even start me on the two days notice to amend a standing order or them not going out at weekends :person_shrugging:

Standing orders are not paid at weekends - that’s not a Natwest thing that’s a BACS thing.

Any institution which processes payments at weekends is not actually paying standing orders, it’s just scheduling faster payments.

1 Like