Nostalgia, or "Do you remember when....?"

I grew up in a household with a black and white tv that always chose Christmas to develop a fault when no tv repair man was available. The picture would start spinning round until someone hit it and it stopped for a while but then got worse until it was unwatchable. Later on I was proud of always having a state of the art colour tv and vcr because I rented them from radio rentals.

3 Likes

Me sat here remembering 1p sweets and pre-2008 mass devaluation of the pound resulting in everything feeling like it cost a lot more suddenly

1 Like

Remembering my dad saying:
When petrol goes up to a pound a gallon I’m stopping driving
When fags go up to a pound a packet I’m stopping smoking

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I remember something along these lines from my parents. Except it was £5. Cigarettes are well beyond that now yet they still smoke a sizeable chunk of their salaries away.

To put it into perspective, their smoking addiction is twice as expensive as my annual discretionary spends, which include a fair number of large tech purchases. And I’m the one wasting money!

To each their own I suppose and whatever brings you joy. I don’t think people realise just how much smoking and alcohol costs, not just in terms of health, but financially too. I’m glad I’ve never bothered with either.

3 Likes

Hope they’re ready for 2025-2030. U.K. government is planning on banning it and have told tobacco corporations to move onto something less toxic

1 Like

I think one of the most amusing comments I ever heard was from a doctor to my grandad:
“Maybe he ought to give up his few cigarettes and his daily whiskey”
Old bugger was 94 at the time :joy:

I think at that age, he was entitled to his few pleasures in life :grin:

4 Likes

Pah! Me sat here remembering ½p sweets! :tired_face:

2 Likes

I can recall finding 50p on the floor one day on my way to school.
I thought I was a millionaire :joy:

4 Likes

I remember my father bringing home some plastic-wrapped tubes of decimal coins and giving me my first decimal pocket money. I proudly walked to the local newsagent to buy my Whizzer and Chips, only to be told they weren’t ready to accept “new” money yet!

2 Likes

Bring back pre-decimal money I want to be able to use the word shillings daily

Or, in common parlance, “bob”. As in……

“So that’s:

1. A Hansom Cab from your place to pick your other half up (then on up to Town)

2. Two 3/6d stall tickets for the Rialto to see “Oliver”

3. Liver & onions afterwards at Lyon’s Tea Rooms, Charing Cross

4. Two pints of mild and a couple of Babychams for the other half

5. The bus home……

Fifteen bob the lot. :+1:t3:"

Sorted :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I remember getting those same tubes when we went on holiday. For the amusement arcade.

A tube of one pence coins made us feel rich. For ten minutes or so :man_shrugging::pensive::joy:

1 Like

Sounds like a great evening out :+1::grin:

2 Likes

It was… Oops :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I remember my first trip to Villa Park. Sat in the Trinity Road Enclosure for a great view of Villa v Everton, August 1978 IIRC.

Ticket price? 75p

The following March I stood on the Holte End for the first time.

Price? 25p

Oh the days when we could afford to go the football.

Child prices helped though :grin:

2 Likes

My one and only visit to Villa Park was in the '90’s when I took a group of patients (so all tickets paid for :slightly_smiling_face:).

Upside was that I was in the Holte End (nice) - downside was I was stood on the far left looking out and it was chucking it down :flushed:.

1 Like

Until recently, I still had a ‘Maskatron’ action figure. I stupidly gave it away, especially when you see how much they sell for on the famous aution site.

1 Like

Still got a few 1/2p coins, completely bloody pointless coinage even when they were in circulation.

Sixpence’s weren’t withdrawn until 1980. I was still spending them in my local sweet shop. If I remember rightly, they were worth 2.5p. Not sure why they survived 9 years after decimalisation came in. Once again, seemed like a bloody pointless exercise keeping them legal tender. Then again, most of our modern day coinage is pretty bloody pointless and I just wish people would stop dripping about why coins are so ‘useful’. Just get rid of the bloody things!

1 Like

And were still used by my grandparents in their homemade christmas puddings.

That’s before the PC crowd deemed them a health risk :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, one of my neighbours kids saw me drinking from the garden hose pipe the other day and I heard Mummy say to little Johnny, “Oh, don’t do that, that’s dirty and you’ll catch something” Bloody hell! where do they get people from these days! :rofl:

1 Like