Other Fintech Forum Moderation

I wonder if the Monzo PR machine have yet discovered that the absence of an official forum hasn’t caused catastrophic failure of world order and more importantly, life does indeed go on, with or without it.

The mod team must have felt a bit of weight off their shoulders at least. It will be intesting to see what their way going forward will be once they eventually decide to get the forum live again. I bear no ill will, but for the sake of their own and new forum members, it cannot return to how it was. I genuinely wish Monzo luck, whichever route they take.

5 Likes

They’ll surely be giving that a whole lot of thought.

And yes, good luck to them and the forum.

A wee (I’ve lived in Scotland for two years, I’m allowed to say wee now) bit concerning that it’s still closed this far into the day. You’d think if it was going to come out of lockdown today, it’ll have happened by now.

I suspect they’ll update soon and extend it, neither admins have been active since yesterday evening.

I hope it’s not just going to be a *turn it back on and act like nothing’s happened moment. Some kind of detailed announcement will need to accompany it, I think.

As for the possibility of debating the continued existence internally, I’m not sure they even have time to set aside for it, which is part of the problem.

At the very least it’s given the moderators and members alike some much needed respite, so hopefully that will result in calmer things if/when it opens. My concern is still the same though. In that it aids in prolonging the pent up frustration folks have, and that when the floodgates open folk are going to wander in with some level of frustration and want to air it. Especially if they aren’t acknowledged and heard. And that’s really all folk want I think. To feel heard.

I do hope it reopens, and soon, though. There are a lot of good discussions on there that I’d love to get back to.

2 Likes

Let me know if it is - I have one, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem being that it’s a big game of whack-a-mole.

Two of the problem causers that promoted this situation, one is definitely a joined-to-troll, the other possibly too. If they ban them both (ideally!) then they’ll just make new accounts, bump old threads, be obsessed with posting the same things to cause a problem. I really don’t understand it!

1 Like

Just adding some more coal to the VPN machine, needs to be a full power for making those shiny accounts.

I’m pretty sure a few of the perpetrators were established accounts too. Definitely a few trust level 2 members getting up to shenanigans. Trolls are a tough cookie to mitigate though. They’ll never be able to prevent them from access.

I think from what you said, when I saw it, it was fairly tame. Then got a lot worse after that.

I expect the delay is getting hold of someone high enough up to give the go ahead to either come back or bin it!

Am I going to regret this…? :roll_eyes:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

The Plotting Shed. Though the more I see it, the more it’s clearly just clever. :grin:

1 Like

Someone actually suggested something to that effect here, and it didn’t go down too well:

It got progressively worse as the night went on. I first noticed it when the Chris skinner thread was locked and bunch of other threads were locked and hidden very quickly after (I wonder if they targeted the Chris skinner thread too and that’s why it was locked, given the off topic comments mentioned do not exist and the thread had been inactive for 2 hours).

I’m not sure if the higher trust users instigated it, or were just fanning the flames, but one of them had a vested interest in the Chris skinner thread, given that they were the first to try starting the discussion and had their post deleted twice. So it could have transpired out of contempt from an ordinary disgruntled member.

There was a moment where it appeared to slow down and stop. Then I made the mistake of playing with monzobot and that seemed to trigger it again in guessing, given they started imitating monzobot.

1 Like

Until today, I’d only ever known it as a potting shed. Every day’s a school day, eh?

Thanks each. Enough said and done.

I’m really enjoying today…:blush:

3 Likes

I would hazard a guess this Revels isn’t called Edmund either. Edmund Tylney was Master of Revels to Queen Elizabeth.

Not wanting to derail the thread any further, but i guess most people would be more interested in the picture then the name. You seem to ignore that question though.

Love a good old catfish

1 Like

I think it’s a sure sign of middle age when you want a shed of any description.

What I would do in this shed I have absolutely no idea. But I do want one.

3 Likes

Usernames and generic pictures aren’t just owned by a certain person. It’s a free for all :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t flag your post though?

No worries. I’ll leave it there.

I need to think of a cool name for mine now. I built a shed in the back garden to convert to a home office, I mean technically it’s a summer house but everyone tells me to go back to my shed quite often

2 Likes

Batcave? Lair? (Is that the right word?)

2 Likes