Other Fintech Forum Moderation

Whatever else you keep in it, you have a small barrel (table-top size) of something bracing - Sherry, wine, real ale, any sort of ale - you get the drift.

I recall some soap-opera / comedy show where the star always retreated to the shed for that reason.

I was reading when that forum started going down the drain.

It started with one or two of the slightly older users (I think our @anon85728687 was one of them) complaining in the chris skinner thread, that that thread had been spun off into its own thread.

Those one or two posts (I genuinely can’t remember anymore, but it certainly wasn’t “loads” as Feathers suggested) were deleted and the thread locked within minutes. (I assume that was always the intention behind spinning it off? bait people into complaining, thus giving an excuse to lock it.)

Shortly afterwards someone (AFAIK not the same people, but who knows - this went so quickly I could barely recognise anyone, but none of the avatars involved looked familiar) started spamming in age old threads on unprecedented levels. It was quite impressive, really, the level of dedication that went into it.

2 Likes

They all beat “The Pleb Shed”, a Secret Santa gave me a plaque for it saying that at Christmas

1 Like

So, just to ease my pain, let’s stop the flagging. That was yesterday.

Please?

2 Likes

Because the current ones know him too well?

1 Like

Who are you calling old!!! (Just kidding). :slight_smile:

I called them out for something that I have also privately written to Alan and Richard about which is a certain member of the CC who in my opinion is too trigger happy with splitting threads and closing them in order to kill them. Every thread that person messes with ends up dying by spiralling out of control and then being closed. That same person always says please contact Alan or Richard for issues with moderators but I have never had a response (bar once when I requested Alan close my account) that wasn’t

We’re aware there is an issue and we’re looking into it.

As others have commented here the thread was basically dead anyway but it didn’t stop PG messing with it regardless.

In fairnesss I was PM’d by a member of the forum who advised me they had flagged my post and that they had done so to try and stop the thread getting out of control (which allowed me to delete it) but it was that same person who had also noticed that the link being posted had silently been deleted multiple times.

I genuinely hope that if they bring it back they take long hard look at the people moderating it and the decisions those people have taken.

3 Likes

That was me! I flagged it as requiring staff attention after the thread had been locked. I’d just missed the events @nanos witnessed and felt the the thread had been unfairly siphoned out of Monzo in the media and subsequently locked without any reasonable justification in line with the code of conduct for doing so.

I really don’t understand what the moderators had against this blog post. It wasn’t against the code of conduct to share. It fit with the theme of Monzo in the media. After a shaky start, the conversation proceeded in line with the code of conduct, and until it was split out, it never deterred from the good engaging discussion that it was until it fizzled out. And that’s the thing. It fizzled out, so surely you just leave it alone since nothing wrong was going on? It’s a prime example of a moderator instigating a conflict where there was none. That may not have been their intention or motive, but that’s what their action caused, and that requires accountability now, if nothing else, I think.

My flag has yet to be acknowledged, so at least you actually got an automated response!

3 Likes

Interesting I think this is exactly what @L8n.me meant the other day when he talked about members self moderating.

I’ve had one or two people both here and over there message me and suggest changes or just lend moral support. Self moderation is very effective and saves the nastiness of calling people out and flagging people (flagging which is always taken the wrong way no matter how well intentioned)

6 Likes

Flagging doesn’t really do anything other than lock the thread if there’s a shit ton of them.

If someone gets flagged, I’m definitely clicking it to see what they said.

If I get flagged, I’m just going to edit it slightly so the post gets restored. There are definitely times when I’ve deserved to be flagged but people just use it because they disagree most of the time.

4 Likes

I wonder if a :-1: reaction may help? Gives folks something different to press when they don’t like something at the very least. Could still be abused, but at least it won’t trap threads in a locking paradox. Unless of course that’s actually what they’re trying to achieve.

I think the use of one on here has gone down pretty well so far tbh.

3 Likes

This is me too :rofl:

I haven’t flagged a single thing on here yet.

*waits for this to be flagged*

Neither have I tbutz because personally, I think it’s completely unnecessary, but that is just my opinion and if folks feel they have no other option, it’s definitely not my place to say they shouldn’t do it.

1 Like

I have seen a lot of posts recently that users have deleted and will be removed within 24 hours

Not sure what that is all about.

Another example of self moderation, I think. There were a few topics yesterday on here that got a little heated, and rather continue the cycle folks decided to retract what they posted and then that trickled down to the other users involved, restoring order, balance, and respect.

1 Like

Me neither. Never flagged anyone on the other forum either apart from someone who posted all their personal & bank deets once, so I did them a favour by hiding them.

I like the ‘like-reactions’ here much better.

3 Likes

Is that your first post @davidwalton ? Welcome!

I’d react to your post, but I’ve been placed on a cool down again!

1 Like

Yup, been lurking since the invite, watching how things develop.

Welcome, indeed @davidwalton

The flagging here is just as persistant as it is in the other community so now we now know its someone here thats the repeat offender

also waits for this to be flagged