Other Fintech Forum Moderation

Fixed it for you… :wink:

(I’m being facetious and actually like a lot of Monzo’s features - please don’t have a go at me :upside_down_face:)

Oooofff I felt that :sweat_smile:

This topic was a read and a half, what an emotional rollercoaster! :sweat_smile:

I don’t think all the Coral Crew were bad on the Monzo community. Remember there are 10 of them and tarring them all with the same brush isn’t fair when I personally think it was just the one member but I can see 2 at a stretch.

I also never had any issues with Alan. I got on well with him, he was really helpful, responded to my messages and similarly when I too complained about a certain CC member. In fact, he shared with me his plans which I know will make a lot of people happy just days prior to its closure.

So if I combine this, with the 3 updates we’ve had from Monzo I don’t think it is going anywhere.

That being said, it was a reckless move to lockdown the community and was probably a panic reaction without much thought behind it. All that needed to be done was a setting turning on in the admin to manually approve new accounts, or to manually approve first posts from accounts. This would have stopped all the spam accounts and would have given them plenty of breathing space to get back on top of it all.

Once they’d shut it down it though, my theory is that they might as well accelerate their plan. Making community changes when it’s “live” has to be done very carefully, incrementally and out of hours. Whereas now it is closed they can probably plough through it a lot quicker.

Or I could be totally wrong and they’re wrapped up in red tape like Simon explained when he tried to grow the community :man_shrugging:

Something certainly needs to be done though because it will explode again when it does re-open. By closing it so suddenly with no explanation all the members are going to feel the need to vent their frustrations, ask questions and all sorts of issues big and small will get brought up - it will be bedlam. I’m hoping that they’re well aware of this too and it is another reason why they’re taking their time with it all just to be certain that everything is covered.

8 Likes

Lucky you! What’s your secret?

Richard is quite responsive and receptive to feedback and criticism.

I got a great response from him when raising issues recently. No plans were shared, but accountability was accepted and my feedback I felt was heard to the extent it could be.

Had I known he was the guy to go to, I’d have gone to him long ago!

With you on this.

3 Likes

I have the opposite with Richard :sweat_smile: I remember the last time I reached out to him about something I was disheartened that I just got a one-liner “thanks we’ll consider it” kind of reply.

I think I might have upset him at some point in the past (or with my behaviour in general) but I can’t remember.

1 Like

Welcome, rudedog!

Wait, what? I swear I only ever see 3!

3 Likes

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again - these closures have absolutely nothing to do with whether customers are profitable or not.

We never take that into consideration when closing accounts.

2 Likes

Good, glad we got that settled! :joy:

I always presumed the account closures were for legitimate reasons anyway.

Can I ask how you know? What area of Monzo do you work in?

Fincrime, if I’m not much mistaken

2 Likes

That’s what I thought. And that’s what makes me think he might not know all that much about the reasons behind many of these closures: If they were due to fincrime reason, they’d be without notice.

That they are with notice implies rather strongly that they don’t originate from his department, and that therefore he likely won’t have any more actual insight into the actual reasons for these notices than any of us do.

But that’s assuming that this is correct.

1 Like

This is for a different thread, but there are plenty of financial crime reasons that you might close an account with notice, rather than immediately. Usually because the account is outside of risk appetite, but there isn’t really much more I can share about that.

9 Likes

I would say that being outside of risk appetite isn’t really a ‘financial crime’ reason as no crime has taken place - it is just that Monzo don’t want to do business with that person for whatever reason.

Lack of profit could be one potential risk attributed to a customer…

7 Likes

I forgot to cover this part in my earlier post, I hated this too!

It seems like they had an internal battle on who could get the last word in :sweat_smile: One would lock it and leave a comment, then another would come to write their thoughts along with tangibly connecting it as an expansion or “in support of” the last one and so on. Some had 3 or 4 comments thereafter but the way they were written is what irked me the most and @ndrw covered it best below.

Speaking of which. I’ve received notifications that some Coral Crew are still doing stuff with my posts even now the community is closed.

For example, I can see that on the announcement topic that some of the comments have received likes. Of which us “regular folk” are forbidden from doing.

5 Likes

Interesting they’re able to do stuff to your posts. I was under the impression it was very briefly taken out of read only when Alan made his post, which offered a brief window for posts to be liked.

Don’t get me started on another rant haha. It’s mainly the one person again (not the one in the example above) but I often get notifications that they’ve removed or flagged my posts, weeks, months and sometimes years after they’ve been made.

I think they go out of their way to find them and mess with them. Because they’re often in topics that haven’t even been bumped up with new replies. They’re obviously not aware that I get notifications about who has done it and to which posts.

3 Likes

And rightly so, it is great for troubleshooting for any similar software. Of course it is polite to check the user is ok with it first. Just to add though, coral crew are NOT admins and can not do this.

3 Likes

It has the potential to lead to financial crime or something more serious though, that’s the problem.

Also they’ve made it clear they don’t close accounts for being unprofitable.

Many people here probably have an empty Monzo account they don’t even use and it’s still open.

1 Like

I’m not so sure on this. Maybe not all. But some Coral Crew do seem to have powers that the majority of Coral Crew repeatedly deny they have.

E.g. one member of Coral Crew has repeatedly deleted posts. Not just moved them to the “deleted posts” thread, but totally deleted. Regularly without leaving any trace of the post’s existence.

Yet, CC regularly deny that they have that ability at all, although at least one CC member does.

Couple that with the fact that monzo has a history of twisting truth and attempting to rewrite history (see above for one example), I must say that I believe at least one member of Coral Crew has powers beyond what they proclaim to have.

You can see who is what level here About - Monzo Community (this is a page generated by the software, not a page they have made themselves)

Two coral crew have moderator powers in certain areas - which would include a straight delete function.

No coral crew have admin powers and if you don’t have admin powers you can not use the impersonate user function - it is within the admin panel which they do not have access to.

Edit to add - they have far more admins than is sensible.

3 Likes