Other Fintech Forum Moderation

Still not sure what really happened there… I must’ve missed some things that got deleted but it didn’t seem worse than any other weekend. In fact the attack of the clones weekend seemed worse

There is a sub reddit for Monzo for those that haven’t found it or don’t know about it.

2 Likes

a lot of trolling transpired shortly after a rather unfavourable moderation decision where they decided to lock the Chris Skinner thread due to off topic discussion where there was none.

Their decision to lock it for that reason came after several attempts to quietly and quickly remove links to the article before a discussion could take place.

5 Likes

That’s very interesting. I’m not very active on the Monzo Community just been reading it more after the collapse of FintechTalk.

I do feel this is a very “Monzo” thing to do since they made the thread about why they close other threads. They don’t like people talking out against them. Maybe it’s all part of the new business model. This is just my opinion.

1 Like

It does seem to me, that the Monzo social media manager (SMM) is going to have to sit down and either off his own back or in consultation with other teams in Monzo, decide exactly what to do next. Temporarily closing the forum by making it ‘read only’ is not going to be the end solution here. I would like to think that the vast majority of Monzo contributors will understand the decision taken, must have been a very difficult one. I’m not a Monzo forum member, but from what I saw last night, I don’t think the SMM was left with much choice.

I just get this sneaking suspicion, that when the forum opens up again, too many people will have far too much to say about the decision taken and it will once again decend into chaos. I would hope that doesn’t happen, but I’m very much in the camp of ‘watch this space’. I genuinely don’t envy the SMM’s position on this matter.

8 Likes

Just to add on to that for @anon47616136, the trolling last night is the worst I’ve seen, and I’ve seen some bad ones. It was constant, faster than the moderators could act, and lasted a long time. The moderators were doing the best they could. monzobot became sentient too. Pretty much all of it was removed, locked, and hidden. But the mere fact someone from Monzo had to step in and enable read only mode is a testament to just how bad it got.

2 Likes

You can understand why Starling closed their forums.

3 Likes

Kicking their can all over the place?

2 Likes

Does anyone honestly think it would be a possibility Monzo would close the community?

I promise, I’m not deliberately trying to stoke the fire here, but the way I view it is, what happened yesterday has in effect, given Monzo the best excuse they need to shut shop on the forum.

Shutting the forum down would not lose them hundreds of thousands of customers overnight, indeed I’d say it would have virtually no impact because the vast majority of Monzo customers probably never even look at the forum anyway. Yes, you’d get the really upset forum members who would then hit other social media platforms and make their opinion on the matter heard, but after a while, it will all just go away, like so many other things that happen in this world of ours, massive news, then it just disappears. That’s exactly what happened with the Starling forum, it’s gone, it’s no big deal.

I stress, none of this is Monzo bashing, it’s observation. Folks may not agree with my viewpoints, but Monzo’s problem with the forum, is far from over from what I’ve seen. I would like to say though to the genuine Monzo forum members, I think it’s a real shame what’s happened.

9 Likes

They will never shut the forum…

2 Likes

I for one can’t say I’m surprised this has happened. I tried to reach out to Richard a few times to offer assistance in bringing the forum under control.
I even provided a detailed plan on actions to be taken and then next steps to retain ownership.
He wasn’t interested and claimed Monzo had their own plans which weren’t up for discussion.
I gave up after a while, even after getting certain parties permanently banned.

1 Like
1 Like

Tomorrow will be a lot of fun on the Monzo forum, I’d put money on it. But their policy of not allowing moderation issues to be discussed openly will mean opinions will be suppressed again and look, everyone is oh so happy with how it’s run

6 Likes

They really need to allow a thread to discuss moderation if only to get it over with

1 Like

I’m not sure why anyone would need to state that - the old forum certainly wasn’t an [insert-favourite-bank-here] fanboy forum, and there’s no reason why this place would be either. I completely agree with @Graham though, this forum exists so that people can discuss all aspects of fintech, both positive and negative. It’s not here so people can have a pop at one particular company, or their forum, or the people who moderate or frequent that forum.

10 Likes

Can we just stay away from banging on the drum about what has happened over there, it’s getting boring. If people want drama get to Facebook or something. I’m muting this thread now to be fair as it’s doing nothing good.

3 Likes

To be fair this thread is about other forum moderation and management so the discussion is relevant

7 Likes

I spend a few days off forums and Monzo is temporarily closed!
Guess I’ve got a lot to catch up on :rofl:

1 Like

Hear, hear. There’s an awful lot more to fintech than the Monzo community forum.

3 Likes