"Paid from your main balance"

Not yet - DDs and SOs only for now.

When I saw Bills Manager, I thought they might have built a recurring payments organiser, where you could group and prioritise DDs and SOs and what not. Maybe with a funds lock eg for your mortgage DD, 7 days before it’s due… Nothing quite so fancy, but a nice addition nonetheless

2 Likes

I noticed that too. Gonna cause a lot of people a lot of pain if they misjudge their deposits into their Bill Space.

This feature is useless for me, in the way I use my Starling account, and, as I get paid 1st of the month and DDs go out 1st of the month, there is never any slack that requires this.

Will be interesting to follow the feedback, purely based on the decline aspect, if insufficient funds in Space, despite sufficient in main balance.

I’m impressed you managed to pull this off, we have a few bills that just outright refuse to let us change our payment date!

Don’t see how it will be a problem as you get a notification the day before and if you still forget you get a notification on the day asking to add money before 4pm when they try again

3 Likes

You can of course just contact the organisation concerned and ask them for the payment date to be changed if that suits you. Some will, some won’t. It’s a bit of a ball ache having to do that. To be honest, any organisation taking direct debits should allow the customer to change the debit date online. Sadly, some organisations are still operating in the mid 20th Century and can’t quite understand that the internet exists. The problems I’ve had with Aviva in the past! Their personal favourite, is if you move home, when you inform them of a change of address, they send a letter to your old address as a security measure, I mean, WTAF :rofl:

Post Office if you buy mail redirection do the same. Makes sense to me just in case someone else is pretending to be you. R-

1 Like

Yeah, Avro used to come out on the second of the month, which was a minor annoyance, however, Octopus let me change it :smiley:

I also have an “Annual Bills” space, for things like car insurance, home insurance, TV license etc. I have automatic payments set to go into the Space monthly (based on the rough annual total). Then when a payment comes out the account, I manually transfer the funds from the “Annual Bills” Space. This helps spread out the cost over the year.

With the new “Bill Manager” feature, I was hoping this would become 100% automatic, but now there is a chance I will need to manually “top-up” the space if there is not enough funds in it. I know I’ll get a notification, but still. I would have preferred it to automatically take any extra funds required from the main balance, and then notify me, so I could then take action if necessary (unlikely).

Surely the vast majority of the time you’d want the Direct Debit to be taken and not rejected, with the main balance the obvious place to get more funds. It’s not like the other way around, i.e. DD out of main account should fail if not enough funds, as it wouldn’t be clear which Space to automatically take any extra funds from.

2 Likes

I do the same, though my funds are held in an interest bearing savings account, currently Tandem at 0.65%

I know Starling is interest bearing, but barely :joy:

1 Like

You must be earning an absolute packet on that rate :rofl:

I’m not a wealthy man and so I don’t save anything at all in savings accounts because quite clearly, unless you’re a millionaire, it just isn’t worth putting anything away anywhere for the sake of earning pennies. Just my opinion tho!

About £2.40pm

Not life changing :rofl::joy:

I don’t need to chase pennies any more though tbh

I’m quite lucky there.

Yeah, it does and it doesn’t. The problem is, if you don’t set up a mail redirection, and on mine and my Wife’s move from our 3 month temporary stay in rented accommodation whilst waiting for our new build to be finished, we didn’t bother with a mail redirection. As I explained to Aviva at the time, I won’t be going back to the old property, so a new occupant goes in, opens up the letter when it’s none of their business doing so and then either bins it, or attempts to use it as part of a identity fraud. To their credit, Aviva did actually listen to my very reasoned argument on this occasion after their refusal to listen to me when we moved from our former home of 20 years.

I guess it’s little different to getting cashback from Chase in that respect.

I have to admit, the only decent amount of interest I’ve ever earned, was back in 2009 when I shoved about 30k (possibly more, I can’t quite remember) into a savings account with Santander for 12 months. I got about a grand out of that after the 12 months, so it was absolutely worth it.

With the risk of shooting off topic, I got 1.80% on 30k with Metro in Nov 2019.

And I won £100 in this month’s Premium Bonds.

And stung four CASS incentives.

So all good here.

Now to pay those increased energy bills :man_facepalming::joy:

But what if you are still living there? R-

1 Like

So when Aviva sent the letter to our old house, we weren’t living there, we had already moved. On that occasion, for obvious reasons, we set up a mail redirection, for just 3 months because we knew we would be between addresses. Had we not had the mail redirection set up, the letter would have obviously gone through the door and the new occupants would have picked it up. This might be hard to believe, but I never once met the buyers of our old house because I was working away, so I had no idea what sort of people were moving in, not that is any way to form an opinion on someone!

Not everyone sets up mail redirection, and that’s where the issues can come from. Anyway, gone waaaayyyy off topic here!

I actually don’t mind that only funds from the space are used for the DD. It was a manual process for me anyway, so if I need to move any funds the day before to top it up then that’s fine. That said, I round up what I put in anyway, so there should usually be enough to cover it.

2 Likes

That’s not a bad thought. If you have your roundups going to the Bill Pot Space that will create a natural buffer anyway.

Depends if you are saving for something with the roundups but if not then I think I will go for that.

Really wish Starling did partial CASS as I don’t really want to close my Nationwide account which I currently use for Bills.

2 Likes

I meant that I round up myself, i.e. if something is £45/year, I put £4/month in rather than £3.75. Having automatic round-ups would work too, though. My automatic round-ups just go in my “Coin Jar” space - £812.47 now :slight_smile: Trying to leave it as long as I can. Acts as a useful overdraft buffer too.

2 Likes