Proof of ID - a discussion

Old is a bit of an elastic concept these days as is working age :grin:

Iā€™d say that proportionately fewer and fewer people have passports and driving licences as they pass, say, 65. For driving licences you need your doctor to approve it every three years from age 70.

Weā€™ve one guy still working thatā€™s over 70 and I know a lorry driver whoā€™s 75 now and who has just renewed things for another five years.

It needs to be renewed every three years, but thereā€™s no need for a doctor to approve it.

It may be true for C1 and D1 licenses, but not for car driving licenses.

1 Like

But not Nationwide who recently removed the upper age limit on their Flexaccount insurance.

*FlexPlus. EU Travel Insurance on the (free) FlexAccount was scrapped a few years back.

Yes, meant Flexplus. Too many flex accounts :grin:

There is no requisite that a married person changes their name so itā€™s personal preference to do so.

The general idea is that the DVLA/DVA and Passport Office are self funded by their users so they donā€™t provide things for free other than bare minimum (such change of address with driving licences)

Thatā€™s not so bad then. Itā€™s also free to renew from 70.

For the class C you need an annual medical from age 65 which sounds like a nuisance and rather expensive as the medical costs about Ā£100.

Which is why DVLA have the utter brass neck to demand and expect that licence holders return their expired licences back to DVLA at their own expense! This is precisely the reason why Iā€™ve never bothered in the last 20 years, to return licences after a change of address because Iā€™ll be buggered if Iā€™m buying an envelope and a stamp out of my own pocket.

Problem with that us that if your address isnā€™t correct on the licence then the licence isnā€™t valid. And, of course, you canā€™t use it as proof of address.

That said, thereā€™s no reason for the licence to be returned as they could just issue a new one with the new address.

Agreed, absolutely fine (although as proven above, change of name is actually free with a Driving License).

The problem is Chaseā€™s processes here, not the governmentā€™s (although lack of any government ID aside from Driving Licenses and passports is a separate problem). A passport remains valid with an old name - if Chase need you to show that passport, they should be prepared for it to still have a former name.

I suspect theyā€™ve basically just taken the permanent resident bit from Chase US, deleting the US only stuff and ran with whatā€™s left: https://www.chase.com/content/dam/chase-ux/documents/personal/checking/acceptable-forms-of-identification.pdf

They are ways around the issue, itā€™s just a manual process, as it is with Monzo and Starling too. You have to wait for the passport to fail the automated processes and go to a human for review, which will then open up that manual process to provide proof itā€™s the same person.

I am curious though. Why would you update your name with your bank (or any organisation for that matter) prior to your legal documentation being updated to reflect the name change? Thatā€™s almost asking for problems IMO. If it comes to bite you thatā€™s on you.

My momā€™s situation is particularly messy. Her first husbandā€™s surname (my dadā€™s) is the one still used on her ID documents. Her legal name is her second husbandā€™s surname, but she uses her maiden name for everything. This complication hasnā€™t impeded her ability to use Monzo or Chase (the only two bank accounts she has) however. It causes problems at times, but theyā€™re not insurmountable. All the names are linked to her credit file, and in the worst case, she just needs to supply an extra document in addition to her driving licence. Really though, she needs to just get her legal name sorted on her ID documents once and for all.

It affects one of my siblings too. Theyā€™re trans, changed their name, but their legal name on ID documents is still their birth name. Monzo had a pretty good solve for those folks by allowing you to set a preferred name in addition to your legal name which theyā€™ll use in place of your legal name for most things. That was until CPA came into effect and outed them to our grandparents on their birthday.

The legal documentation is updated, thatā€™s what a marriage certificate is. There is no other documentation neccessary to change your name following marriage.

What sort of problems, other than logging in to one specific bank, do you foresee?

For travel it doesnā€™t matter, as long as the name on tickets and visas matches the name printed in the passport.

Voting is fine, just needs to be accompanied by the marriage certificate.

Opening bank everywhere is fine, just open in maiden name then ā€˜updateā€™ with marriage certificate.

Itā€™s not at all an uncommon situation.

For a bank account, there kinda is. As a general rule, just like when you travel, the name on your bank should match the name on your ID.

Youā€™ll have this problem logging into other app based banks too. Barclays too, if you donā€™t have a PINSentry.

Why?

Or the previous device. Or a phone call or branch visit. Itā€™s not the same situation as Chase at all, in fact.

Sure, but Barclays arenā€™t an app only bank built solely on that precipice. Phone call or branch just results in them snail mailing a PINSentry so there are really only the two options I referenced there. They donā€™t hand em out in branch anymore last I heard.

Using your previous device doesnā€™t work with Barclays, thereā€™s no option or flow for that. I think itā€™s just HSBC group apps with that option.

The why, well for one, is to avoid landing yourself in a situation quite like this one. The reason this situation happens, according to various Monzo customer support agents over the years of this issue being raised, are regulatory requirements. And given that itā€™s exactly the same at all app only banks, Iā€™m inclined to believe them. So if you want a fuss free experience with these banks youā€™ll need play ball and make sure your name on the account matches the name on your passport.

As Iā€™ve said though, they have work arounds, just not an automated one as part of the onboarding flow for such an edge case. My momā€™s name in her passport being different to her name in the Chase app never stopped her signing up or installing on a new device. She just had to provide additional documentation after the passport failed. Same for my sibling. Monzo were unique with their preferred name feature, but other banks arenā€™t and so wanted additional documents.

Last time I lost my phone, unfortunately I also didnā€™t have a debit card handy so I called up expecting to be sent a debit card, but I think as well as doing that they also provided an activation code. Is that no longer the case?

Not true: How to register your app on a new device | Barclays

Also, your phone can act as a ā€œMobile PINsentryā€.

Also there are definitely other banks which do this still, Tesco Bank for one.

My name hasnā€™t changed. Presumably you mean ā€˜oneselfā€™?

Absolute nonsense. There is no piece of legislation which requires banks to use a passport or photo ID solely which must have your exact current name on the document.

To reiterate, my wifeā€™s (not mine) name has already changed, she is legally no longer known by the name printed in her passport, but still her passport remains valid. Chase have forced her in to a situation where they refuse to support her name has changed until some arbitrary document, which does not primarily exist for the purpose of domestic identification, must be updated at her own cost. Itā€™s not on.

I can accept that this might be a bit of a manual process, but they absolutely need to support people in this situation. I can also accept that sometimes there are things which need to run their course (for example, passports with time left on them) but banking shouldnā€™t be one of them.

Interesting. Thatā€™s not what Chase support have said, thank you. Iā€™ll get my wife to submit a complaint.

Activation codes are still a thing, but theyā€™re really just for situations like that and are at the discretion of Barclays. Iā€™ve never been given in all my years. Itā€™s always okay weā€™ll send you a pinsentry. Itā€™s the one banking App I havenā€™t fully set up on my new iPad because of it yet.

Mobile PINsentry doesnā€™t work in this case. You need the physical one, because the matching card has to be inserted to generate the correct numbers. I try this every time I upgrade a device. It never works. :laughing:

That generate activation code link ainā€™t working on my old iPad (edit: nor my iPhone. Just throws an invalid link error). Just errors. Thereā€™s no option like that anywhere in the app that I can find either. Android only perhaps?

Iā€™m just the messenger here. But I do think it is just for the automated verification process, with anything else requiring a manual review and additional documentation.

Iā€™m not sure why Chase have told you (your wife) any different. They absolutely canā€™t hold an account to ransom because someoneā€™s changed their name. Definitely lodge that complaint, and if all else fails, the ombudsman. Been a while since my mom upgraded her phone, but I think she just needed her marriage certificate to get back in to Chase. I think Monzo wanted her birth certificate too.

2 Likes