Proof of ID - a discussion

A topic covering forms of ID required by banks.

Yes, well without wanting to go in to politics too much there was supposed to be a UK-wide identity card which came in but it became toxic because of ā€œthe databaseā€ :ghost:. As if there arenā€™t already dozens of databases held by the government on all citizens.

I thought it was ridiculous then and I still think it was ridiculous looking back.

Eye-watering at Ā£85 online.

Got me looking at the most efficient method of gaining photo ID.

Post Office pass card is Ā£15 online. Accepted throughout the UK (and I bet no one you know has got one :grin:).

Shouldnā€™t even be considering this really, should you?

Disappointingā€¦.

1 Like

There are ways of getting PASS cards for free, but unfortunately Chase wonā€™t accept them :frowning:

1 Like

And the cost, to be fair - Ā£93, which included a passport, or Ā£30 for a stand alone card (2005 prices).

The proposal was also for local shops to gather the information (fingerprints and photos) - Iā€™m sure that would put people off these days.

I think the problem with introducing one now is technology. Any huge technology undertaking started now will be out of date by the time itā€™s implemented.

1 Like

I was (and am) in favour of a national ID document, but Ā£30 back then was a fair chunk of cash just to be able prove something I could already prove without it.

Passports are expensive, and while Driving Licenses are relatively inexpensive, you have to hand over your home address just to prove your age and/or identity. It doesnā€™t sit well for me in this day and age.

1 Like

Agree, it needs to be free or certainly no more than a tenner. My wife has an expired provisional license, and she is toying with the idea of learning to drive, so I think perhaps thatā€™ll be the option which solves this particular problem for us.

I still think itā€™s poor of Chase to just not accept - as most high street banks seem to - that your name doesnā€™t change everywhere itā€™s present in an instant.

1 Like

She can get a provisional driving license with no intention to drive. Many have them just as ID.
If I were her, I would take this route

1 Like

Of course, the point is she has valid photo ID which she can travel and vote with (when supplemented with our marriage certificate). No other bank has insisted she gets her photo ID updated, the process of doing so isnā€™t free and Chase arenā€™t willing to pay for it. Itā€™s not on, IMHO.

Itā€™s likely age discrimination as older folk tend not to have passports or driving licenses. On that basis, potentially illegal which is why a lot of places accept things like bus passes and a generally wider range.

Itā€™s the same at Monzo and Starling too. Itā€™s not that they wonā€™t allow access. Itā€™s that itā€™s not possible to automate and requires human intervention so it takes more effort and requires an additional documentation. To Chaseā€™s credit, theyā€™re the fastest though.

According to Monzo, itā€™s a regulatory requirement.

Starling barely support these kind of edge cases at all.

I expect it is, the issue is that it is discriminatory with the list of ID being so short. We have used our Electoral ID card for several banks and thatā€™s something that everyone over 18 in NI can get free. Not just NI banks either.

Interestingly, you can use the NI Electoral Card to vote elsewhere in the UK.

Itā€™s not age discrimination though, it doesnā€™t target anyone right? Arguably disproportionately affects them but the fact is a young person without either is in the same boat.

2 Likes

It is indirect age discrimination, at both ends of the age spectrum as it affects them disproportionately. Older folk have the advantage that they can get bus passes (usually free) and they are accepted as photo ID in a lot of places. Younger folks donā€™t have that advantage and I could see a fair number having neither passport nor driving licence.

I think youā€™d be shocked about the young people. I donā€™t know anyone my age who doesnā€™t have a passport. Only old people.

The group I know about have passports too (some have both now), but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s representative right across the country.

Guessing the further you are away from London, Birmingham or Manchester, the lesser a chance of having a passport

But Iā€™m guessing the further you are away from a metropolitan zone the chance of a licence goes up?

I donā€™t know that itā€™s so much being in a city, although that probably helps, but I was thinking about having enough money to do the traveling in the first place. If youā€™re relatively well off, youā€™re more likely to travel.

Yeah, Iā€™ve found that for kids living in cities, having a driving license is no longer assumed to be something that you should get.

Both, of course, really limiting for Chase. And the non-universal good broadband connections. When COVID kicked in, we were surprised to find that a number of people didnā€™t have any internet connection and indeed some didnā€™t have a TV either.

Now thereā€™s an interesting line, ā€˜Only old peopleā€™ā€¦ā€¦.Mmmm, so at what age do you class as old? Iā€™ve either been as a young child, on my parents passport, or Iā€™ve been in possession of, a passport my whole life and Iā€™m 56. Am I old? :joy:

To be fair though, there are probably quite a number of people beyond say 70, who no longer have a passport borne simply out of the situation that as one gets on a bit, the insurance companies absolutely screw older people for cover, so they stop travelling overseas.

1 Like

I have one and so does my 84-year-old mother :slight_smile: My 25-year-old niece doesnā€™t, though.

2 Likes