Royal Bank of Scotland accounts

Yes, “smart alerts” does mean something (basically, the notifications are selective only).

From personal experience with the wider group, sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. I think that they don’t usually credit check you again if you apply via the app (and get regular overdraft offers, etc which indicates they think you are creditworthy).

You would get a second debit card, but a spare card might be useful anyway if you ever want to deposit cash/cheques or anything like that.

2 Likes

Ah damn, that’s annoying! So what else do they not cover? I might need to look at opening an account with Barclays… but I keep telling myself enough is enough, I’ve got a really bad bank account addiction!! :joy:

I guess if I wanted to use an additional Lloyds Classic account as a dedicated holding space for funds due to be taken out, then I could disable the unarranged overdraft functionality on it as well (so that nothing could go out that I haven’t specifically put in)… or is that only available on Basic accounts (which wouldn’t come with a chequebook and I wouldn’t be eligible for anyway since I have loads of accounts with multiple banks already!)?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/lloydsbank/status/1412239952818147331?s=21

1 Like

I haven’t tested it enough to be sure of what is not covered and what is now. The monthly “Club Lloyds fee” and “Club Lloyds waived” transactions don’t seem to be notified, and neither does payment of interest. I suppose, if you were really curious, you could try all sorts of “unusual” transactions (like going to the post office) and seeing if it triggers a notification.

You are right about the thought that you can have too many bank accounts, as I’m probably addicted too, but at least bank accounts are normally free!

I think you don’t usually ever get into an unarranged overdraft unless a transaction takes place offline (which, these days, is hardly ever) although you might be able to request controls. I know that Yorkshire and Clydesdale did have a “control” bank account which would auto-block anything that would take you overdrawn, but it’s not an area I’ve looked into as I’ve never had a personal need for it.

Officially, there is always a credit check but they don’t seem to actually do it in practise. When I opened a Halifax account a few months ago (and I already had one) they didn’t do another credit check.

PS: At the risk of fuelling your addiction, I find Barclays worth having as Blue Rewards allows me to earn a few pounds a month just from having the account. It’s also fairly good tech-wise and a good backup Visa Debit, where you can do your own custom card design!

2 Likes

My credit score finally took the hit from opening this account today! The hard search now shows on my file too!

The ebay seller listed another one. :wink:

I put an offer in but they didn’t accept the offers I made :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s now gone. Which one of you paid £70 (:scream:) for it?

Since COVID, I wonder just how many have looked back and winced at the stuff they’ve spent good money on. :smirk:

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: A thread about writing (pens, ink, pencils, paper

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: A thread about writing (pens, ink, pencils, paper

My local RBS is closing :x:

And I’ll bring the thread back into shape by relocating the writing instruments posts :flushed:

Anyone have an rbs credit card? I have a dd in full but sometimes prefer to just get it paid - if I did so via transfer would the dd adjust to £0 - anyone got any experience?

1 Like

I don’t have an RBS or NatWest credit card, but what I’ve generally found with most providers is that the Direct Debit does adjust, provided that you pay off the card within a reasonable timescale before the Direct Debit is due. If you do it too late, there isn’t time for the Direct Debit to be adjusted (remember that all BACS payments, including Direct Debits, take three days to fully process).

Hopefully RBS works in this way, but I’m sure someone else will be along soon to confirm.

MBNA is an exception. But then, they pay compensation instead if they take the money and you go into a positive balance, so I’ve milked that a few times. Just play the “you put me into overdraft” card

2 Likes

Interesting, if MBNA work that way then potentially all the other Lloyds brands do as well?

If so, that’s something to be aware of as they must have a fairly large share of the credit card market combined.

I only discovered this with MBNA by accident. I’d paid off a large bill at the start of the month, which left a zero balance, but they still took the approx. £2k on the 25th. A call got me the amount refunded and an OK amount of credit to the card.

It just seems crazy to me. But it’s worked a few times since

Someone from RBS answered me a few weeks back when I asked if I could pay it off before the statement was due - they said yes but I’d still need sufficient funds for my direct debit - odd.

I’ve messaged again now to ask if this will have changed given the balance is due…

Perhaps they misunderstood and thought that you meant you were planning to partially pay it off in advance of the Direct Debit, rather than fully?

Maybe but they mentioned refunding any overpayment - their chat responses are pretty poor generally - hopefully this response is better.