Royal Bank of Scotland accounts

Any either serving or ex-forces personnel, I think.

I believe that the net is cast quite wide, so reservists or foreign office employees/envoys etc may also be eligible.

1 Like

Well using “the magic form” (which lets you select sort code) and putting the sort code in, would be applying for a select account anyway, so it may work?

It’s missing features but at the rate their going it won’t be for long. They’ve been consistently pumping out new features or improvements almost every month like clock work. A lot more than can be said for other banks.

I’ve been really impressed with it

2 Likes

What’s the online banking system like? Do we have a thread dedicated to online banking yet? We should if we don’t. Be interesting to compare banks on this, as historically they’ve been quite poor in terms of UX.

2 Likes

Possibly but in my opinion I don’t think it will feel right. I’m happy to pretend I’m unique and loaded with my C&Co card :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like that notion. An account which recognises military service (with benefits to suit I imagine).

1 Like

I agree, it would be wrong to take advantage of the forces and I’m happy enough with my Child and Drummonds accounts.

Wouldn’t want to push things with RBS either!

If anybody did try it, though, I would be curious to know if it actually worked.

4 Likes

I’m in two minds on this. I’d love to add the card to my collection (it’s probably an unhealthy addiction at this point). But I’m absolutely in the same opinion as @seb on this too.

4 Likes

Hello to the Corporate Security gang over at RBS who are going to be reading this tomorrow when their new accounts department report us all :sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile:

I know, I have the same card collectomania addiction as you and the squirrel design is nice.

Maybe I’ll have to join the army, haha!

1 Like

Pretty basic, but I never use it myself. The app has everything I need and I set up paper statements because they have the branding whereas online ones don’t.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. It’d certainly add to the knowledge base for those looking to apply for an account and not being sure what’s what.

1 Like

I had a running wiki thread of features and upcoming features on the old forum :sob:

Statements and certified statements in app for one. To be fair it’s filled with features this is just a glaring omission

2 Likes

I was speaking more to banks in general. Functionally they’re good, but I’ve always hated using them, personally. I’ve no idea what the RBS online banking is like though.

Well you will soon find out, hopefully!

The one really annoying thing is that, to start with, you must order a card reader (even if you already have one at home).

You must then wait for a mandatory “postal delivery time” before you can “activate card reader” (again, really just checking it’s you and you can use any card reader).

Once that is done, you should have no issues but will need a card reader for certain things, although it looks like that will be going away in the medium term in favour of app-based biometric recognition.

2 Likes

Now that I have applied for a C&Co account. Does the RBS app have transaction notifications?

Yes, for debit card payments but not (yet) for other transactions on the account.

1 Like

I guess they will be working on the rest along with releasing Dark Mode soon to match NatWest :slight_smile:

1 Like

“What made you join the army, cadet?”
“I wanted to serve my country, sir.”

“And you, Recruit Seb?”
“I wanted the debit card with a squirrel on it!”
:joy:

Anyway, this thread has been an absolute gold mine of information. Massive thanks to @N26throwaway for finding that magic link! I agree that we should keep this thread under the radar as much as possible, so the inconspicuous general title is perfect. It’d be a real shame if RBS close the loophole. Let’s just hope that those over on MSE don’t shout about it too loudly! :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Interesting that link no longer allows selection of a sort code as far as i can tell.