Santander

Ha, I had 2 “financial reviews” with them, one ad hoc and one timetabled.

They wanted to sell me first a Stocks and Shares ISAs, and the later, their “Investment Hub” and insisted that I put aside an hour for the appointment. I was out of both within 15 minutes as I refused to invest in anything where I could lose money. I made this clear at the time of the latter appointment but I guess they thought the powers of persuasion would prevail.

I recommend NS&I products. You will only lose money to inflation.

1 Like

I’m trying to think of any form of investment where you’re guaranteed to not lose money.

(Acknowledging NS&I and @Recchan’s point that the worst that can happen there is you’ll lose value of your holding through inflation).

1 Like

So long as you stick to the FSCS limits your balance won’t go down (unless you withdraw) on any straight forward UK savings account - not just NS&I. Even one with a derisory interest rate.

On the flip side when inflation is high every single one, even the most generous, will lose value in real terms.

With investment products the value of your deposit can go down as well as up, although on the flipside could potentially outpace inflation even when rates are high.

123 Current account interest rate has been increased to 2%, up to £20k.

1 Like

Santander are gradually moving back to the halcyon days of 123. That, and the 4% saver which goes with their Edge account makes them a contender.

4% on balances up to £4000. Woo, and indeed hoo. £13 per month.

I’ve got the Edge account so it’s £500pm minimum and £3 fee (which is nicely offset by the 1% cashback on utility bill & (latterly) supermarket spend).

For me the 4% saver was a bonus.

2 Likes

Capping it at £4k seems a bit mean

1 Like

Agreed. But it’s easy access. And there’s the current account interest.

1 Like

It’s not waived with DDs.

It’s a £3 unavoidable fee.

1 Like

Yep, thankyou, wrong words. Now edited.

First email I am receiving about this but they say they already notified me about being entered into the draw.

rejoice! Santander are working on a new app; you can download a version of it now called Pilot (not fully featured yet)

certainly a move in the right direction…anything would be an improvement over the current app!

Thanks - got it.

Well it’s different at least. Right direction I guess.

Most functionality on my version doesn’t work.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been following the reports on the beta version over on MSE hence why I haven’t bothered.

Looks nice, which I guess is all that matters

Personally, I would prefer an app that works over one that looks nice.

2 Likes

Me too, though I guess I’m not everyone