Santander

I have only a mortgage and a savings account with them but I was quite impressed by the new app. Looks nice, feels faster, and does the (very few) things I need. If they can keep this up with the current accounts, they could be a real contender for my custom.

2 Likes

Yes, noticed that. Interesting move, but seemingly not too big a shock say the experts. Wonder what the thinking is……:thinking:

(I wonder if this is a precursor to Santander shedding its mortgage business !! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:).
Don’t quote me :relieved:……

This would be unprecedented for a big 5! More likely they’re just intentionally pricing themselves out for the time being, perhaps some internal risk analysis which suggests it’d leave them better placed.

Sorry :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s where I was thinking. My post was simply a device to playfully set the markets running - possibly another 2008 !

(I must get out more :smile:).

I received an email earlier inviting me to open a Santander Edge current account with no monthly fee for the first 12 months.

“It’s an exclusive offer as a thank you for having your savings with us.”

Not even tempted, tbh!

Yes, I keep getting emails asking me to open a 5% Regular Saver with them. But its just not competitive…

had a notification about a cashback credit card they’ve just launched…£3 per month, for 2% cashback for a year then 1% ongoing. worth it for the first year at least I reckon.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up - I’ll take a look :grinning:

Decent review of it here

1 Like

Yep, the £15 max monthly cashback is a bit of a killer but set an alert for £750 spend each month for the first year and it’s a fairly easy £12/month. 1.6% effective cashback rate.

Just waiting for it to be added to Quidco/Topcashback now. I note that TCB are offering £25 for accepted Edge Current Account applications currently.

1 Like

Yes indeed. That’s sorted. That & the Chase offering works nicely.

That’s a most helpful ploy for managing my master plan. Thanks

1 Like

I got a “less than likely” response, so I’ll pass.

Got too many credit cards anyway :man_facepalming::blush:

1 Like

question - Cater Allen - who? what? when? basically the same as Santander as far as I can see but I just want the card…?!

1 Like

I always thought Cater Allen is to Abbey/Santander as Coutts is to Natwest Group (and Adam & Co used to be to RBS).

It appears Cater Allen no longer have a predetermined income requirement tho.

1 Like

I clearly mix in the wrong circles as I’d never heard of them.

I have now….

I used to have an account with them but that was when they were gradually upping the requirements so I closed it.

1 Like

Except they don’t have an app, or Apple/Google Pay.

You can add them to the Santander app (if you have Santander accounts).

1 Like