Savings accounts recommendations

In short, yes!

Either those savings accounts, Virgin Money accounts or possibly Dozens bonds at 5%?

Depending how long you have been with Coventry BS, they are offering a 21-Day Notice Loyalty Saver at 0.65%

Personally, Tandem (at the same rate and with instant access) is the more favourable at that rate.

Atom is 0.35% if you are a new customer.

2 Likes

:eyes: I’m kinda interested, only been with for a year or two though

Dozens bonds could be a thing I guess, but I like my assets liquidish so I can make time-sensitive investments (like I did w/ AMC)

1 Like

Key date is 1 Jan 2020

See details here

You can sell your dozens bonds at any time. You just lose any interest in the current month (and future months, obviously…)

1 Like

Not that i’m much help, but i’m glad i’m still entitled to child rates :laughing:. I’m getting 3% on £2k at Santander, and 2.5% on the rest at HSBC.

Compared to the rates i’m seeing for adult easy access accounts, i’m making the most of the little time i have left with these rates…

1 Like

Looks like it’s worth getting in bed with as many providers as possible to grab the deals for existing customers.

Skipton 3.5% regular is not bad, and now 0.7% easy access is open with Chiplite. Though, being Chip, you can’t transfer from existing savings with them (looks like you have to withdraw and deposit) and I can’t work out if you get 0.7% on top of the 1.25% bonus or instead of. I also don’t get why Chip has gone the card topup route if deposits take 3 days to land.

https://www.getchip.uk/the-blog/market-leading-savings-account

:thinking:

2 Likes

First thing I’ve seen from Chip that has actually piqued my interest! Will look into these now! Thanks for sharing!

If you want the 1.25% bonus, you need to get onboard before 1 September.

https://www.getchip.uk/the-blog/chip-1-is-closing-its-doors-to-new-users

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that Tandem insists on uses open banking to link your account, so they can then see all your transactions? Not sure I’d want to give them all that info.

I don’t think they do any more.

They did at once stage, but have now changed how their savings accounts work and they are much more big-standard now in terms of operation.

Like Chip, at one stage you could only top-up via debit card, but now they’ve got rid of that and you pay in to the sort code and account number like a normal savings account.

Their app is decent, but quite simple and basic.

Alas, you are sort of correct.

You can pay in via FP directly, however, only from verified accounts.

How is your account verified?

Open Banking.

I have done it tbh.

I’ll take the 0.65% while it’s going.

Chip just looks too complex for me.

Not gonna keep chasing the fraction of a per cent point.

Got too many accounts open already, mainly with pennies in, in the hope of decent member offers.

1.5% Regular Saver for members of Monmouthshire Building Society couldn’t tempt me though, so not sure why I’m bothering tbf :man_shrugging::joy:

1 Like

Ah, my account must have become verified as I had briefly experimented with their Open Banking in the past?

Unless they auto-verified all their old users who had previously been using debit cards?

I’m not sure, but that’s a shame.

They should just do some basic name matching, I don’t understand why so many savings accounts require all this nominated account fussing. At one time, when everybody only had one current account, it would have been much less of an issue, but nowadays it’s a pain!

I assume this also means that accounts with no Open Banking support can’t be linked to their savers, which is awkward.

I would make the same assumption.

I think they will claim that it is in the name of “fraud prevention”, however, it is a pain tbh.

I like Skipton because I can deposit from any account (presumably has to be in my name, but I don’t know for definite) and then withdraw to up to two linked accounts. Worked great for me, but the drop in rate in the next few weeks (after 0.50% bonus expires) makes that illogical, going forward.

Atom only allows me to deposit to, and withdraw from, one nominated account, as does Marcus.

Coventry BS allows me to deposit from any of my accounts, but withdraw to one linked account.

Tesco are brilliant (or so far appear to be). Deposit from any of my accounts and I appear to be able to set up and withdraw to any of my current accounts. Sort of Tandem, but without the Open Banking.

Tesco are currently at 0.50%, with the security blanket of a 0.40% bonus for 12 months.

Saffron BS allow deposits from any of my accounts, but withdraws to one.

And I could go on, because alas I have many (mainly with a £1 in in case better rates appear in future), however, I think I may have :sleeping: most readers, to here, already :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

How long do your deposits take into Tesco? I’m assuming it’s not instant as I sent £1 and it hasn’t arrived right away

Heads up for any new tesco users

‘Hi , thanks for getting in touch. Payments made using the Faster Payment Service are normally made within 2 hours but can take up to 24 hours. They do take longer between 4pm on a Saturday and 6am on a Sunday as we perform weekly essential maintenance. You will see the funds appear tomorrow morning around 6am, sorry for any inconvenience caused’

1 Like

Indeed.

Tesco Bank have always been very poor at dealing with Faster Payments, and although they are technically within the scheme rules they don’t meet the near-instant standard that’s become expected due to other banks.

This is one reason why their current account just wasn’t very useful.

1 Like

My experience with Tesco is usually within 15 minutes. It’s not instant, but it’s usually pretty quick.

It’s a bit contradictory as she’s saying up to 24h but will be there by 6…

Glad to have it open as it’s an OK rate for when Skipton drops, but will see how this transfer ends up and the next few. I think said maintenance and its implications should be mentioned, would be horrible if you’d sent a large sum

Couldn’t put up with this for a spend account blimey! No good if you were transferring over your last tenner on a Saturday :joy:

1 Like