Starling Bank hidden payments

Because as would seem the case when I spoke to them, they have no way of removing these old payments from their own system. Personally, I think that is garbage, but then I don’t run a bank IT system so I have no way of proving otherwise.

1 Like

They should have a way to do this, it’s actually a legal requirement of them to remove authorisations for future payments when you ask.

If it went through, you’d be able to file a complaint and have them pay for it.

1 Like

It sounds like they can remove the authorisations, but the automated process which identifies recurring payments maybe can’t be manually updated, so even recurring payments where the authorisation has been removed are still displayed as recurring?

A bit silly, if so, but it would technically be in compliance with regulations.

Pity they can’t do what HSBC do. I paid my Barclaycard with my HSBC debit card once because the DD wasn’t ready yet. HSBC classified it as a recurring payment and listed it under Manage Bills, along with DDs. I wondered how long it was going to stay there (with Starling in mind) but it dropped off after the end of the following month when no payment had reoccured.

1 Like

That would be no good for (say) annual CPAs which Starling correctly classify as recurring, things like car insurance annual payments.

They just need a button to say “this is not a recurring payment” so customers can manage the list manually.

1 Like

Good point. Yes, it would be much better to allow the customer to remove it if they want to.

1 Like

Urrghh! CPA’s!

CPA’s are in my opinion, just an excuse for a company to carry on extracting cash and hiking premiums for those people who just cannot be bothered to check how much they are paying. The people who forget about what they are paying out on CPA’s seem to fall into at least 3 categories, 1. They are filthy rich and money is definitely no object. 2. They are just financially inept/forgetful. 3. Have died but the bill somehow just keeps getting paid because there’s money coming out of their account year on year and no one has queried it. Oh, and it does happen:

https://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/michigan-mummified-body-found/index.html

Ok, I accept, my opinion on CPA’s is just my opinion and probably for some reading, should be just taken with a pinch of salt, but perhaps folks should just be mindful of what they’re signing up to sometimes:

1 Like

I agree with you really.

Unlike Direct Debits, they are often very difficult to cancel and there is usually a real lack of visibility of CPA authorisations on accounts at most banks.

Starling is to be praised for at least putting CPAs clearly in the scheduled payments tab.

1 Like

And that personally disgusts me. It wouldn’t bother me one iota if CPA’s were banned.

1 Like

There should be some equivalent of the Direct Debit guarantee, at least, so you can cancel them more easily.

1 Like

Fun fact: any U.K. authorised bank has a legal obligation to remove CPAs without any input from the merchant

Know your rights; they have no right to refuse. Not one ounce of leeway, if you want it gone and it’s on record as you requesting it, they’ll be the ones paying the balance if it goes through.

May cost you a bit of time, but I imagine the Ombudsman won’t look highly upon them.

iirc, I did this with Starling. Asked them, they said no, I linked them to the FCA page which says in B/W that they have a duty to obey my instruction when it comes to continuous payments from my account.

2 Likes

Just don’t use CPAs or Starling.

Probably for the best, when you can avoid them!

1 Like

It’s not really an option though, Amazon doesn’t say “let me pay once” etc

1 Like

I know, that’s why I said when you could avoid them - e.g. when setting up a genuine recurring payment, if you can it’s better to use Direct Debit instead as the Guarantee is more user-friendly and banks have better processes for cancelling at the bank end.

2 Likes

Revolut disposable cards do the trick