Starling - general thread

Do you mean use Wise (formerly TransferWise) to provide the FX rather than their current setup? I’m pretty happy with the rates, can’t complain at all. Would be nice being able to accept incoming USD payments though.

1 Like

Yes, CurrencyCloud has a lot less supported currencies for sending / receiving and other things

I think an integration could work amazingly if they could do automatic incoming transfers (for example you’d get local details for all Wise currencies and then it would automatically come into your Starling)

Etc etc, I think an integration could be well built. Current solutions imo aren’t great

4 Likes

I think the block on that would probably be at Wise’s end - they wouldn’t want Starling integration competing too closely with their own borderless account.

1 Like

Disagree, they already integrate with Monzo and Bunq in part, plus the way my further integration would work in my mind would be a net benefit to them

2 Likes

I just want them to support face unlock on my pixel 4 :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I know that European expansion has been part of Starling’s medium-term plan for a while now, but I’ve never before noticed that they’ve already reserved a bunch of Twitter handles…

Seem to have had them all since 2018 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I know it’s off-topic but does Starling’s Euro account work well? Really tempted to open one for travelling to Europe when things get a bit easier and more clear.

1 Like

Not any more :blush:

2 Likes

I have it and pre pandemic used it in Spain. Really straightforward as long as you remember to switch the card to it.

Acts like the UK account in all aspects for me.

1 Like

Good to know. How does it work with the card payments? Obviously if you do a card payment from the GBP account, they’ll convert it to the exchange rate and it might not settle for a few days and the amount could change. If you do a card payment direct from the Euro account, will the Euro amount charged stay the same even when settled?

1 Like

The pedant in me wants to point out you don’t directly link your card to your EUR account. Once the following setting is enabled with the Card Controls options, € transactions will come out of your EUR account while GBP transactions will come out of your main account as normal:

If you have insufficient € in your EUR account to cover a transaction, it will be declined (Starling do not automatically convert from your GBP account unlike Revolut).

Yep: they do. The exact euro amount will be deducted from your euro account.

4 Likes

It doesn’t actually work like this anymore. The amount is calculated at the time of the transaction and that’s what you’re charged. Much better than it used to be :smiley:

3 Likes

Any more pay at pump issues or are these all resolved now?

I’ve never tried because of their stupid ban on pay at pumps… I’ve no idea if they still enforce it

1 Like

Never had any problems using pay at pump with starling

1 Like

The last I read was it’s disabled for some customers, and not others, based purely on a risk analysis algorithm that they refuse to go into any further detail on.

As for the Euro account, just be aware that because it’s the same physical card as normal, the card is hard coded to identify as issued in the UK and therefore many terminals abroad will “assume” it is linked to a GBP account. This means you may still get offered DCC.

I’ve used it a couple of times - seems to take £30 initially- that’s at Sainsbury’s.

1 Like

As the others have mentioned - I’ve never had any issues personally, always gone through at £30 and adjusted later on.

2 Likes

That’s good to know at least. I just use my credit card now anyway (and get a little cash back) but a backup is always useful

1 Like

@Dan just asked starling twitter about android dark mode.

3 Likes