Starling - general thread

I’m sure it’s coming Soon…™️

3 Likes

The best type of coming soon

The android app is a complete car crash. They now have a lower rating than Monzo because they keep ruining things that already work, leave it that way for a month and then change it back to the old way pretending it never happened.

They can keep their updates! :joy:

Bring back the pay again button! Or is it back already?!

I would check first as their ‘customer service’ :clown_face: said it would vary from fuel station to fuel station and you wouldn’t be able to tell until you put your card in.

Given the only card that doesn’t work is my Revolut Visa and even then the Revolut Maestro does - i said I’d give it a miss and use a real bank :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I suppose petrol stations operate a BIN blocklist just like banks can block it at their end.

Probably all prepaid cards are blocked?

Maybe they check you actually use the account in a somewhat normal way but I can’t imagine theres much more to it than that. Could just be based on how long you have the account open.

Is there anyone who’s had a starling account for a long time who can’t use pay at pump? If so how do you use the account as everyone I know who can use pay at pump uses it as their main account.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried so no idea if it works or not!

I use Starling as our holiday account.
No direct debits or anything, just a regular weekly payment in to cover all of our holiday spending.
The few times we have travelled by car, it has always worked for refuelling.

2 Likes

So you have put money in and used it for normal spending so maybe that’s all it takes.

A fraudster will only try to buy fuel and nothing else.

1 Like

What is ‘a somewhat normal way’ to use a payment account? :thinking:

Well I can tell you a way that isn’t normal. Opening a bank account, depositing £100 and then taking thousands of pounds worth of fuel that wil never be paid for :joy:

They do a max of £99 a go - so thousands isn’t likely unless Starling has been very lax.

Asda limit the number of times an individual card can used in a day, I’ll be surprised if other sellers don’t have internal measures too.

According to Monzo, it works like this: the customer has a card with £100 in their account. The card reader at the pump pre-authorises the person wanting to fill their car by taking an initial £1 payment, purely for card validation purposes. After that, the driver can fill up with up to £100 worth of petrol. The charge may take a day or two to be deducted from the person’s account. The fraudster does the pre-authorisation again and again, with just £1 deducted each time, until the £100 on the card has been used up. The customer therefore gets 100 times £100 worth of petrol, at a deduction from the card of just £100. Only later is the £10,000 worth of petrol charged to the card, which does not have the funds and is therefore bounced.

Fraudsters are buying vans and retro-fitting them with huge tanks. Monzo says it knows of £56,000 worth of petrol stolen in this way. The loser here is the petrol station as, while the money initially comes off the card, it is then charged back to the forecourt operator.

The police are concerned about the prospect of vans carrying vast amounts of petrol.

2 Likes

The thought of beat up old Transits driving around with potentially 100+ gallons of petrol is scary :worried: :worried: :worried:

1 Like

The card issuer will know that the card is being used at an Automated Fuel Dispenser as it has it’s own merchant code (5542 I think)

After they’ve used a couple of times a single day, simple fraud algorithms should kick in unless it’s a mickey mouse banking operation :clown_face:.

This isn’t even taking into account measures at the retailer’s side of things.

1 Like

Saw this on twitter about paying from spaces.

3 Likes

Hopefully won’t be too much longer

2 Likes

Do you think this will include recurring card payments? Only one place offers this as far as I know.

1 Like

Coming soon :eyes:

2 Likes