Starling - general thread

I’d rather they did it well or just not bothered, to be fair. I was happy with the N26 approach of category icons

Yeah, I’d like to have the option to turn merchant logos off. Would rather have just the category logos instead of a hitch-pitch of both.

3 Likes

I had a problem before with my Milk & More subscription coming up on the transaction feed and the PDF statements as MM Recur which really wasn’t helpful

Was just about to comment on here about a message I’ve received in the app, but just to jump in the last few posts…

What annoys me with the descriptions is that Starling uses their choice of name on the bank statements. Which means that is the transaction is labelled incorrectly (e.g. a SumUp or iZettle transaction), then the bank statement is also incorrect. Not an issue for me perhaps, but becomes an issue if you have to prove something to someone. For example, in the case of a business, to HMRC; for an individual, a benefits claim? Not a situation I’ve had, but it’s something I imagine could happen.

Anyway… message :sweat_smile:

I’ve not had this before for a direct debit? Although strange that it came through as a CS message rather than a notification of sorts

3 Likes

Weird. I had a paper setup go through this week with none of this. Extra check? Maybe you’re in their bad books

Seems very odd, I thought they’d use *IZETTLE merchant name like standard, while ignoring their enrichment

1 Like

This seems bizarre. Never asked to confirm a direct debit. It just happens. And that includes Starling.

Worth a CS chat?

I hope not :flushed:

You’d think that, right? But as an example, I went for a haircut to a place local to me (in Wales - that’s also important)

Notice -

1. The address is “Guernsey”, a fair step away from Wales.
  2. The merchant name is “James Bransfor St Peter Port” (wherever / whatever that is!)
  3. The original “Barnets Hair S” on the bottom, where I actually went…

And then on the statement it shows this :man_shrugging:

I have queried it, but it’s never been changed.

It was a CS chat, but I will ask the Q…

Had a reply (within 3 minutes):

This will apply to some direct debits depending on how the instruction is sent over to us. If you have any specific queries about the direct debit, please let our team know directly.

Maybe it’s a paper direct debit thing that’s been introduced?

1 Like

I guess you’d be able to file an official complaint if it mattered too much, I definitely would if I had to justify it to HMRC should they ask !

I wonder if there’s any room for a fintech that only does merchant enrichment and sells it to places; seems like the wider array of data you’d get would prove useful.

In a nutshell, though, what’s the value of merchant data in-app?

Better analytics and customer ease of use

I have had this before from a distributor when setting up. Confirm in the chat and it was set up the next day.

It depends on how they are received as previously said. You may sign a paper one but the provider registers it online or they send the paper one to Starling which will end up with the message received.

Very bizarre and thanks for highlighting

2 Likes

For those who are fascinated by such things, Starling are filming new adverts.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting!!

3 Likes

Aha - interesting indeed. I wonder if they’ll take up the tweeters suggestion and call it a “credit crad”. It has a ring to it :joy:

I was at an event around 2 months ago and was speaking to the lady from Starling. I did query the CC then, and I was told was “it’s coming, but I’m not allowed to say any more than that”.

Managed to nab 2 pairs of socks while I was there too :wink:

5 Likes

Been a account holder since the beta/invite code days but never managed to get a pair of socks!!

2 Likes

Will believe when I seen it good socks the starling ones not bad t shirt pens or travel flask either :wink:

4 Likes