Starling - general thread

They do, it seems.

They had plenty of money to throw at it though, albeit currently backfiring with the waiting room.

But don’t Starling have a massive investor? Why didn’t they chuck money at the public to get custom as Chase has done?

1 Like

I’d hazard a guess that Starling are pretty well on their way to profitability, so don’t need/want to throw money at potential new customers.
If anyone knows different, I’d happily be corrected.

At the start of their journey though, they didn’t have the same growth Chase has experienced. That’s what I’m referring towards.

Didn’t they hit a profit last year, or am i mistaken?

2 Likes

I do remember reading something about a profit, but not heard a lot since.

Throwing money at new customers is gold dust in something like banking though, customers (by large) are relatively captive for life as the inertia bar is massive

Fair point.
Out of curiosity, have Starling ever offered any real incentives?
(I can’t recall any, apart from their in-credit interest, which is now insignificant)

Anne Boden is on Question Time tonight - BBC One at 22:40, for anyone who is interested.

2 Likes

There was a Black Friday refer-a-friend incentive a few years ago. I don’t remember the details other than it wasn’t very good.

1 Like

They used to give a pair of socks for 5 referrals, of which I have no idea where my pair are

Android app update

2 Likes

Think LBG’s limit has been £1000 for a while now… surprising Starling have taken so long since their customers are more likely to benefit from the higher limit.

2 Likes

They were nice socks too, (not that I’d ever got around to wearing them).

Got mine in a goodie bag when me and a bunch of worthy folk met at their office.

(I’m filling up, now….:disappointed_relieved:).

2 Likes

Considering ramping up my Starling account in the wake of Chase’s currently unexplained instability.

Any Starling account holders got intel on their disruption history in recent times, please?

The last incident was in February to do with card payments. None to do with the app recently.

1 Like

Had no issues for a long time.

Robust, I use them for personal, joint and business and all good

2 Likes

Good to hear. Ta

Only problem they seam to have at the moment is with merchant enrichment

2 Likes

I long ago stopped getting bothered by the odd inaccurate representation. Must say, I’ve often wondered what folk do with that data.

Does it really matter whether it’s correct or not? I genuinely don’t know.

Imo as long as you recognise it that’s all you need.

5 Likes

Yep, that’s my take :relieved: