Subscription services

We’ll pay the £10.99 Netflix are now charging us and we’d likely go to £11.99, but after that, we’d probably just bin it and start watching more Prime stuff. I just paid the Amazon annual fee, we don’t watch nearly enough Prime stuff, so perhaps it’s time to start exploring it a bit more.

Of course Netflix are now apparently going to go after the password sharing brigade. We don’t share ours with anyone, but I of course know plenty of folks that do share their passwords. Let’s see how Netflix get on with that.

When I had Netflix, I shared my password with my kids (Under 16) as, although they live with their mom, I consider them part of my household, especially during school holidays, when they stop with me.

I am not sure how Netflix would determine where people are signing in from, as I have frequently found our sign-ins recorded as towns or cities nowhere near where we actually live, or use the service.

London boroughs have regularly appeared, despite the user being in the South WEST of the country, and I have been recorded as being some 60 miles from where I actually login.

I am sure they will argue the toss somehow though. Just not at the moment for me, as I unsubscribed last month (as mentioned in previous post)

1 Like

Amazon Prime - Increase in cost of subscription, wef 15 Sep 2022

Dear Prime Member,

Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. We are writing to you about an upcoming change to your membership.

As of 15 September 2022, the price of the monthly Prime membership will increase from £7.99 to £8.99, and the price of the annual Prime membership will increase from £79 to £95. The new price will apply to renewals starting 15 September 2022. You can view your next renewal date, manage, or cancel your membership by visiting your account.

We continue to focus on making Prime even more valuable for members. This is the first time we have changed the price of Prime in the UK since 2014. During this time, we have significantly increased the number of products available with unlimited, fast Prime delivery; added and expanded ultra-fast fresh grocery delivery; and added more high-quality digital entertainment, including TV, movies, music, games, and books. Prime Video in particular has increased the number of TV series and movies on offer, including Amazon Originals, as well as live sports coverage, such as the Premier League and Autumn Nations Series.

Sincerely,

Your Amazon Prime Team

Bold emphasis is mine.

Had the same email this morning. Not sure what to think of this. I mainly use it for the delivery and don’t most of the other stuff that it comes with (like the Kindle features - unlimited, I think it’s called?)

In a time of households tightening their spending, I’m not sure this is going to go in Amazon’s favour?

1 Like

I shall continue putting £8pm away in a pot and then decide next July whether I wish to continue with the service.

For now, I seem to be getting the use of it, though, like you, mainly through the delivery side rather than the Prime Video side.

A few PL games may sway me that it is still worth the money, for now.

1 Like

What an interesting coincidence that their new lord of the rings show which cost one billion is being released soon… :person_tipping_hand:

I’ve been expecting this since the price of fuel rocketed. I don’t think it’s too bad after 8 years at £7.99.

1 Like

I had just completed my Amazon Prime student trial of 6 months on 21st and I was charged £3.99 for this month. After receiving the email that Prices will increase to £4.99 per month (£39.00 to 47.49 per year), I have jus upgraded to the annual plan since my Student benefits will stop early next year.
I am a heavy Amazon shopper with several subscription deliveries.
I guess I will be using Prime Video more since the Netflix account we were getting from another family was cut off in a bid to reduce subscriptions.

1 Like

It’s occurred to me that Amazon Prime is part of my Sky package and I’m not into Amazon Music. So the only benefit remaining is Prime delivery.

:thinking:

I’m surprised that the email didn’t mention free Deliveroo deliveries for a year.

Typical of my luck that my annual sub is due in September.

1 Like

Don’t forget you can get Morrisons delivered via prime now. That can be useful!

Aha - and I’ve been using that service quite a bit lately. I do so rate those military-grade brown paper delivery bags, too :blush:.

So all in all, Amazon, I’m sticking with you.

2 Likes

Costs might have gone up, but they are still billions and billions in profit year on year. Completely needless, and 20% is just pure greed. Cancelled.

I use Youtube Vanced and adblockers - the one place I still see video ads on YouTube is when I use the Smart TV app. One day it’ll stop being quite as easy as that but until then I’m quite happy.

Even if it stopped working, I think I’d really struggle to get to grips with paying that much for it, as annoying as YouTube ads are. £11.99 is a mental valuation, I’m guessing they want you to also replace your Spotify subscription to justify it but even then it’s so pricey.

Full whack Amazon Prime would be debatable value for me but for now I’m quite happy paying student rates. If I didn’t have a car I think it’d be a no-brainer however.

To be fair I’m pretty sure a large portion of the Amazon Fleet is electric; certainly all the ones I’ve seen going around my town are. (But we also had a new thing built and a local park & ride turned into an Amazon fulfilment centre built)

They got a cease and desist from Google and promptly ceased and desisted further releases.

Newpipe is still going strong though

I don’t know what proportion is electric, but I’ve certainly seen a lot of Amazon vans badged as electric (though recently all of our deliveries have been by contractors). The first Amazon van I saw with “100% Electric” livery had a Diesel engine rumbling away under the bonnet though.

I just purchased YouTube Premium from an Argentinian VPN and used the British Embassy address. Costs less than £1 a month.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that - they’re all either white vans or diesel Prime vans around here (or even private cars).

I have Argentinean Tidal - works absolutely fine

For YT Premium I went with Indian and it rejected my card once the trial finished. No issues with the card or address for you on the Argentinean one?