Subscription services

Back on my business account for Google the YouTube India never failed to go through.

I’m on the first month of my personal YouTube Argentina so I’ll let you know late next month if it doesn’t.

2 Likes

Did have an issue with the Indian Youtube premium a while back, but I just made a new virtual card for it and it has been working fine since.

1 Like

I used Argentinian YouTube premium for a few months now, no issues. Charges my bank card and not credit card, not sure it would make a different either way

Every time I tried to input a new card into Google it was a nope. Revolut virtual, Dozens, Monese I think…

1 Like

Interesting. A few pence a month is certainly more palatable than £11.99 when the time comes.

1 Like

My advice would be to pay for a ProtonVPN (top tier) for one month. Get round as many geoblocks as you can in a couple of days then cancel, the service will stop but they put the difference as a credit on your account. You can then request this to be refunded.

1 Like

Thanks guys - I didn’t even think this would work, but I have successfully signed up for YT Premium using ProtonVPN connected to Argentina, using my Chase debit card, and the British Embassy street address. Chase has charged me 76 pence - a far cry from £11.99.

I pay for Tidal Masters family (they don’t even ask for an address) and it costs £1.50 a month.

5 people use it - UK price would be £30 per month but individually £50 for a basic plan or £100 for the masters.

The best thing is you don’t need to use the VPN to access the services ongoing.

Hmmm. I wonder if there might be a way I could do the same with Spotify, or are they strict about needing to use a VPN all the time?

I’ve heard you can access Philippines Spotify. But I haven’t been with them in years

I don’t know why anyone would go with Spotify, they’re just not very good in general, unless you love NSFW podcasts being shoved down your throat.

So I’ve cancelled my Amazon prime. In the last 2 months I’ve had 0 packages shipped with prime delivery at no extra cost, I’ve watched 0 movies and tv shows, and I’ve listened to 0 songs.

In the past 12 months I’ve had 15 packages shipped with prime delivery at no extra cost, watches 75 movies and tv shows (these will be the most haunted binge I went on during one of the lockdowns last year, so that’s finished with), and listened to 0 songs with prime music.

It’s clear I wasn’t getting my money’s worth for £79, so definitely won’t be at £95. It comes at a time when I’m increasingly trying to avoid ordering from Amazon if I can, so it’s an easier decision than I first thought. And if anything it just encourages me to shop elsewhere more often instead of caving for the convenience.

I’ll continue with my subscribe and save orders, because those are still free, way too convenient, and much cheaper than it’d be in the shops, although I did recently cancel my annual delivery of toothbrush heads via Amazon subscribe and save to get them directly from Philips on their new sonicare subscription service.

1 Like

I prefer Spotify over everything else I’ve tried (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, Tidal, YouTube Music). Not sure I’ve ever noticed podcast promotions.

Which music streaming service do you prefer?

I use Apple Music, because of the level of integration across the Apple Ecosystem.

I also have Tidal (trial, via some Sony Earbuds).

Tidal was always easier to get trials with so I got used to it after like a year, then I went for it with the VPN option. At least now I’m not akin to a new customer every 4 months.

I think Tidal will die off soon, namely because Apple is rumoured to be bringing ALAC to AirPods Pro 2/Max 2 by using a higher bandwidth alternative to Bluetooth.

I thought 360 Reality Audio was cool but it’s just not enough to keep me on Tidal, Sony Headphones or not.

Square/Block bought Tidal out didn’t they?

1 Like

Majority ownership, which means I am a shareholder of Tidal. What a waste of my money it seems.

1 Like

No complaints at all with Spotify. It works on everything painlessly and has (very nearly) everything I want. It also has 13 years worth of play history which means their personalised playlists are actually pretty well tailored. I discover loads of new content through it.

On a family plan per user it costs so little I’m cool with more or less forgetting about it.

It’s the only streaming service I honestly can’t imagine cancelling any time soon, Netflix is almost the same but I’ve used that a lot less recently so I could maybe foresee a future where I subscribed intermittently. All the others I take when I want to watch something and I cancel as soon as I’ve finished with them.

Netflix was the first of the streaming services to go for me.

With all the other competition, their catalog has become the least interesting. A load of quantity and not much quality that’s worth watching.

I subscribed for a month for the final season of camp Cretaceous. But until the knives out sequel, or the live action Pokémon projects (assuming they weren’t killed in their recent upcoming projects cull) there’s nothing else for me.

I’m a Disney fan so Disney+ is the leader for me. Apple TV+ has become a very close second. High quality watchable shows in good volume and at a good steady pace. Everything else is expendable. Not sure I’ll be keeping paramount post halo and super pumped, but I’ll definitely be coming back to it much more frequently than Netflix.