Tymit - Who uses it? What do you think?

Good to hear some positive feedback to balance out the bad!

2 Likes

Another good experience here. It’s now my go to credit card.

3 Likes

I only use Tymit for payments I need to spend the cost out. Very useful unique, helpful feature.

2 Likes

It does look as if Tymit’'s CS is practically non-existent. There’s a guy who posted on their forum 11 days ago with a complaint and it’s not even been acknowledged.

I have been endeavouring to to transfer my Tymit account from one phone to another. (iPhone to Android) As there is no way to do this in app, I contacted Customer Services who about a day later, emailed me requesting some log-in data and said to give it a few hours. I actually waited 24 hours, and the transfer didn’t take. Emailed them back, and was then asked to update the iPhone app ! I said this wasn’t what I asked for, and could they actually transfer the app (which, unlike Revolut, Starling, Wise, and Monzo) can only be operated on one phone). I deleted the app and reinstalled it, made sure it was the most up to date version, but the CS guy didn’t have a clue. Then he suggested reissuing the card and set the account up again !

I am pretty sure I know what the issue is - at 3 years, my phone is “too old” for Tymit’s systems and the transfer from my iPhone wont “take” as a consequence. The same phone won’t download the Chase Bank app, due to its “vintage”. Why it has taken such an extended period of time to determine this, I have no idea. If I were running Tymit’s CS system, the first thing I would do is ascertain whether the phone to which this app is being transferred is actually compatible. Instead we have waded through 14 different messages, each one asking me a question, and then (as outlined above) trying to get me to update a phone that I didn’t request. They are probably going to suggest I buy a new phone next.

2 Likes

If that is the case, they should have blocked the app from being installed in the first place - as Chase have done.

At least then the limitations of compatibility are clear.

Indeed they did. But when I asked (Chase) for a list of compatible phones, I was told there was none and I would just have to try phone by phone!

That said, I HAVE downloaded apps (both for iPhone and Android) that have been incompatible with one or other phone. You would have thought this would be blocked, but hey…

1 Like

The Google Play store says the Tymit app supports Android version 5 and above

But when I asked (Chase) for a list of compatible phones, I was told there was none and I would just have to try phone by phone!

Chase mention their minimum OS requirements on their website

1 Like

I’m on Android 10, which should be fine for both apps, but my specific model - possibly for security reasons - is blocked by Chase

A Huawei? If so, I imagine it’s due to US sanctions and the lack of Google Pay…

If it’s another make, I’d be interested in knowing which.

Nope. Samsung J6+

1 Like

I’m presuming your phone is rooted or something…

Nope. I have zero technical skills in that department and bought it from Argos new, so, unless someone has slipped in and rooted it in the middle of the night, this is not the reason.

To be honest, my thoughts drift towards the fact that an update has rendered this phone unusable with this app. All the suggestions from Tymit have been guesswork and scraping the barrel.

1 Like

1 Like

I didn’t use Tymit for about 6 months, and in the interim, my iPhone was disposed of, and the app on my Android phone updated itself. Suddenly, out of the blue, I was able to use it again, having been “blocked” since forever.

I made a formal complaint to Tymit about 6 months ago, which they refused - quelle surprise. They did offer to give me 12 months interest free credit on a new phone, as that was the issue apparently - my Android phone was “incompatible” - except, as you can see, it wasn’t.

From my lengthy email sessions with them, it seems they have a skeleton staff of 2 people working the CS function, and an external IT consultant, whose sole suggestions are

i) delete and reinstall the app
ii) update the app
iii) update your phone
iv) er…
v) …that’s it

I recognise that the above probably solves 90% of the problems they experience. Extremely annoying when you’ve done all of this, and then you drip feed them back the version number and OS software number over about 2 weeks to be told “your phone is incompatible”. I don’t think their “IT consultant” did anything other than ask these questions. Their CS only became interested when I started talking about a Financial Ombudsman referral, suddenly emails were being answered the same day instead of 3 days.

I should go and look at Tymit’s Glassdoor reviews (if they have any) - I’ve just had a look at Curve’s and it explains why their CS and product development is such a binfire very clearly…

EDIT: I did, and there are a suspiciously large number of gushing 5 star reviews.

Hmmmm.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Tymit-Reviews-E2565288.htm

I had no use for it so closed my account a couple of weeks ago. I only ever bought a single KFC meal on it, and that was to make sure it actually worked.

1 Like

I made a post on their forum mentioning that Virgin has announced their own BNPL offering - only to have it deleted!

Didn’t Starling delete their whole forum because of bad reviews?

I’ve been using it for the 3-month feature for bigger transactions and it’s working very well. Just helps smooth out bumps and troughs on spending.

The way they present your spending and future repayments in the app is plain stupid, but I use Emma to track my spending anyway, so am not that bothered.

3DS works well.

The credit limit is risible, but OK for me for single larger purchases once or twice a month.

Notifications have always worked. It’s a bit of an arse going into each transaction to select the 3 month term, which I’d like to be the default, but at least you can do it from the notification.

When I lost my card recently, it got sorted in app quickly and efficiently.

Overall, I’m not knocked over by the experience, but compared against Amex and Barclaycard (my other two), it’s really not bad at all.

1 Like

Addendum.

Asked for and got a limit increase recently. But someone in the back office put an extra zero on the end! Absolute cowboys.

I was tempted to buy £20k of whisky and then report them as an irresponsible lender, but good sense prevailed and I let them know of their blunder instead…

Fine for me, but this kind of mistake could mess up eg the life of an irresponsible 20 something (not that I’d know…)

Sounds like this was a genuine fatfinger error, but I’m not sure which rule you believe Tymit would have broken if they had genuinely offered £20k.

Banks can offer disproportionate credit to a client so long as they have been seen to suitably assess the risk beforehand. There is no universal maximum credit allowance calculation.

1 Like