Using Revolut as a full account

Yeah I think if you up your spending significantly it can cause additional KYC checks

I think they must be used to be spending £1 regularly lol

I’m going to do my biggest top up when paid soon as a tester to greater comfortability…ill let you know how it goes…

1 Like

At present I literally use Monzo for wealthify/freetrade payments and for dividends from Equiniti. Things I can’t use Revolut for basically. I don’t really have any intention of using the card. Wonder if it will result in me coping a cropper.

1 Like

Hopefully not but it seems they do like you to use the card at least occasionally, otherwise their risk algorithm seems to flag your account.

You mean their profitometer, surely. They’re all about the interchange…

1 Like

I only use Revolut with credit card topups. The trick seems to be never do faster payments out and you’re fine. Mine are all open banking transfers or card payments (my current favourite is to top up Tesco Clubcard with it, while the extra points are clocking up…). Setting your autotopups to some reasonable amount may help too, as it smooths out the average balance.

The only account I have that I can still top up with my Revolut card is Monese, for some reason.

Edit: vault regular topups also trigger autotopups, so there’s still fun to be had with these guys.

1 Like

Exactly, you’ve hit the nail on the head there.

They clearly take a dislike to you if you are not earning them any interchange, even if you otherwise use it as a “normal account”!

Interestingly, I received a letter from MBNA telling me that prepaid card top ups will now incur a “cash advance fee” and the higher rate of interest from the minute you conduct the transaction (i.e. you need to pay it off the same day to not incur any interest).

I solely fund my Revolut card from my current account, but it did make me go “yikes”. Didn’t Curve block this route for topping up other cards a while ago?

3 Likes

Effectively, yes.

When they first launched (and prior to that in testing) every transaction was put through as merchant catergory code (MCC) 8999; “Professional services not elsewhere classified”.

The MCC was usually used to identify cash withdrawals by credit card companies, so this meant that cash withdrawals got treated as a purchase.

Curve then launched a “dynamic MCC engine” which aimed to pass-through the correct MCC for each transaction. This involved Curve themselves, for the purchase on the underlying card, identifying as various different MCCs. That meant the end of the free cash withdrawals bonanza, although “cash recycling” had always been against the terms and conditions of Curve.

I have no idea what MCC Revolut use for their top-ups?

2 Likes

And as I recall, that devalued the whole point of Curve for many in one fell swoop.

3 Likes

Not sure what they use either, but to infer: you can be eligible for the 5 pounds a month from Halifax if you “spend” 500 into Revolut. I do it every month :slight_smile:

Maybe also try to use Revolut for a few other things too, to avoid getting the same message as me.

I had Revolut block my first salary payment in from my employer. It was unblocked after 10 minutes but still a bit trigger sensitive with the blocks. I suppose they are getting their KYC and AML in order for the UK banking licence.

1 Like

Probably true!

Never happening, their customer support is useless. When that message comes I’ll kiss my £60 a year from Halifax goodbye and close the account sooner than use Revolut more

1 Like

You can top Monese up £500 a month after that

1 Like

How many salary payments have you had in there, did you keep it up?

1 Like

Some credit cards charge, some don’t. There’s no way of knowing for sure without topping up. Revolut won’t have anything to do with third party charges of course, but also don’t give super clear advice.

2 Likes

And Curve did, and presumably still does, define cash recycling very loosely in its terms. Back at the start when you could top up monzo and Starling directly from a credit card, surely ALL those transactions were technically “cash recycling” :joy:

2 Likes

Whaaat ! :scream: - now that’d be my worst nightmare. And, might I say, they’d be history to me as of that moment.

1 Like

It was a government finance department too!

However my background makes this forgivable. So I understood why they did it.

Technically as it was BACS I got it a day early. So I wasn’t deprived of funds. They checked with me almost immediately by mobile notification and had it sorted in less than 10 minutes.

I’m not sure if I’d had not responded how that would have impacted other funds in the account and bill payments.

To be fair, AML and KYC checks will impact us all for the duration of our customer relationships. Revolut handled it with the least fuss I’ve experienced with anyone.

1 Like