Vinyl records

Ok, it’s Sunday and there’s room for chit chat!

So, as per the title, anyone here still using vinyl as a listening medium?

I’ve decided to indulge myself in the purchase of a record deck. I’m buying the Sony PS-LX310BT. It has Bluetooth which will allow me wireless connection to my Marantz AV system. I’m not looking for recommendations or alternatives to my choice, I just wondered if anyone is still getting enjoyment out of the big vinyl platter.

I do have several LPs that I’ve owned since the 1970s and I’m very much looking forward to listening to them again. I’m also looking forward to buying new LPs from HMV whose fortunes have turned much for the better since the resurgence in vinyl. HMV are currently knocking out 3 for £55 which I don’t think is too bad a price for some of the absolute classic albums from the 70s/80s and 90s.

1 Like

Now that’s spooky. I’ve inherited a pretty sizeable vinyl collection on top of my own much smaller stash. Late last year I bought a Pioneer deck:

That one :point_up_2:t2:

It’s great to be using it - takes me back to that very decade when I started listening to music in earnest. I’ve found eBay to be a rich source of cheap vinyl.

It just feels so old school :blush:

Oh, you’ve just took me back to my Starling forum days - weekend was “pick an interesting - preferably left-field non-fintech topic” time.

Oh yes - forum, take note !! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Vinyl started coming back into fashion a little over a decade ago. I’d suspect for physical music, it’s possibly more popular than CD now, but that’s very much anecdotal.

I did consider jumping on the bandwagon around that time. I still have the vinyl for Celine Dion’s Loved me back to life album on my Amazon wish list. It’s now priced at £76, but I’m sure it was about £25 when it first came out!

Ultimately though, that thought was very quickly superseded by becoming increasingly fed up of physical junk. So I went the opposite way and started purging physical things that I could instead own digitally, like music, video games, books, and films. I own one physical book now which is the Steve Jobs biography, the rest are all on my iPad.

So no vinyl for me. Now back to painting! Happy Sunday!

1 Like

On your iPad?

If only! :joy:

1 Like

Yes, I saw your model but decided it was just a bit too complex for my needs, it looks good though.

I plumped for the Sony purely on the reviews and the fact it is a fully automatic turntable. Also, the Bluetooth aspect makes it especially pickable as it will simplify my setup.

I do actually have a Bush mini record deck floating around in the loft somewhere but the stylus became lost and of course it’s no where near as sophisticated as the modern decks now available.

The quality of Bluetooth decks has greatly improved over time. They ain’t toys any more. And you get much greater flexibility.

Absolutely. Sometimes I wish I had a really great set of Bluetooth speakers but they were really unaffordable for me a few years back. So I have a set of wired Bowers and Wilkins fed by a modern Marantz AV (with Bluetooth) and a throbby KEF subwoofer and the whole lot makes me smile from ear to ear.

I remember back in the day when Marantz hit the shops. What classy kit :relieved:.

I have the Marantz NR1506 which I bought from Peter Tyson. It’s 5.1 channel but more than adequate. TV sounds great through it too.

A new record deck will just finish the setup nicely me thinks.

1 Like

I’m not an audio purist by any extent of the imagination, they sound much the same to me regardless of whether they’re played off a CD or Spotify or a Minidisc or anything as far as I’m concerned (noise aside), but there is something lovely about the product itself.

I think it’s just a nice big bit of artwork and it doesn’t feel like it’ll disintegrate with any normal use (like bloody jewel cases!).

My biggest collection of commercial releases is actually on minidisc.

2 Likes

Agreed. There’s actually something artistic about the turntable itself. Add to that the ceremony of playing the vinyl itself - it’s just nice. As far as minidiscs - it was something the cool chap down the road had - I never really got into them.

Off-topic (:grin:) I know but it reminds me of the day I graduated from a mono radiogram to a Philips stereo cassette deck. Oh yes STEREO !

That experience was slightly dampened by the fact that having attached a plug, I plugged it in - only then realising I’d not screwed the back onto the plug…. :clown_face:. My, how I flew electrically across the living room.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I sold a lot of my vinyls a couple of decades ago, as they were being replaced by CDs and I needed funds to build a new computer.

Alas, I could not part with my picture vinyls, so still have the pleasure of them.

A couple of examples,

Last year, I also had about 200 vinyl records from my dad as he couldn’t sell them. Mainly classical and country.

And yes, they get played :grin:

1 Like

Well, things have changed slightly since I created this thread. So I have bought a new turntable, just not the Sony model I’d initially decided on.

I’ve instead, bought a Audio Technica ATLP3XBT. After re-reading numerous reviews, I decided I’d rather buy a deck that I could upgrade the stylus cartridge on and the Audio Technica model allows me to do that. Also, the Audio Technica comes with Bluetooth 5.2 and better codec support than the Sony. I’ve paid £27 more for the Audio Technica than the cheapest price I could have bought the Sony for.

Handily too, Audio Technica have a very simple to follow YouTube video on how to set up the tracking arm etc. So now, I’m just about to purchase a stylus upgrade to the basic one supplied with the deck.

And of course I’m now going to have to purchase some new vinyl. Not a cheap Sunday :rofl:

Yep. My Bluetooth turntable (bought two years ago then sold on) was an Audio Technica. Setting it up was so simple I thought I was getting it wrong. :blush:

Marillion - class :grin:

1 Like

About 40 years ago I was going through a divorce and was flicking through the records in a second hand shop and came away with Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan (probably the worst record to buy given my personal circumstances).

But I must have played it 100 times a month, and eventually sold it and bought the CD. The thing is, I knew every pop and and crackle of that LP, and the CD just never felt right. Every LP is unique in a way that CDs and streams can never be.

4 Likes

My daughter was named after one of their most famous tracks :smile:

From that very album?

Yup . It was indeed :grin: