What bank accounts are everybody using?

That’s some serious planning :+1:
I’d get lost and forget where the best value is lol
Luckily, mine is much simpler

How did you manage to get around only being able to have one new day card at a time

I don’t think this restriction exists? I have both, concurrently.

1 Like

Is this a savings account which you can pay into via DD?

1 Like

Yep. Withdrawn from new applications.

DD mandates have to be sent in by snail mail which is fun.

1 Like

Go on then…

Current accounts:
Nationwide Flex - Wages in all bills and D/D out
Nationwide FlexPlus - purely for the bundled insurance
(I know I could consolidate these down to just the 1, and at some point I may get around to it)
Starling Joint - Holiday account
(Funded by both me and the other half and used exclusively for holiday expenditure)
Chase - holding my savings at the moment, no other use.
Revolut - used mostly for FX when rates are favourable
Monese - currently dormant, but I have always had a soft spot for this one

Credit cards:
Nationwide select
BA Amex

The credit cards are used for all domestic spending, being paid off in full every month.
Any higher cost travel expenses are also paid for with the credit card for the S75 protection, and then funds moved over from Starling to pay the subsequent bill. This is the only money I have to move manually, as everything else is fully automated.

Just to add, I may be tempted to switch the holiday account from Starling to Chase if they carry on paying a reasonable rate of interest and cure some of their recent troubles.

I’ve seen many not using Monzo. What’s the reason behind this?

Wrong demographic, opinion of the bank etc? I’m only asking as I plan to drop monzo out of my accounts open list.

I have it and use it for easy bill splitting, same as Starling - but that’s only an occasional thing as it relies the other person also using Monzo/Starling to be convenient.

I used to get my wages paid there for the day early thing but I figured it was probably better to have my wages paid in to a bank I actually want to build a relationship with.

1 Like

Monzo (Plus) - main current account
Starling, Lloyds, Chase - dormant

Barclaycard Rewards (0.25% Cashback) - main credit card
Amex 0.5% Cashback - dormant (I don’t spend >£3000 p.a.)
Sainsbury’s Bank - Sainsbury’s groceries only (for Nectar points equivalent to 1.5% Cashback)
Tesco Clubcard credit card - dormant

Atom - instant and fixed savings
Marcus - dormant

Freetrade, InvestEngine - investments (GIA and ISA)

1 Like

Show your working.

“Please”

3 Likes

OK I’ll just tell you that you’re wrong then.

1 Like

You are, of course, perfectly entitled to that opinion but I am correct in stating that spending at Sainsbury’s with my Sainsbury’s Bank credit card attracts a 1.5% return in Nectar points.

1 Like

Sound about right to me

Each point is worth 0.5p when used in-store on a normal transaction (500 points is 250p)

The Sainsburys Bank Nectar card looks like it gives 3 points per 100p in Sainsburys.

0.5p * 3 = 1.5p

1.5% of 100p = 1.5p

Edit: Although, you would be eligible for one of those points using a normal nectar card anyway so you could argue it is 1%

2 Likes

True, but it’s still a total of £1.50 from a £100 shop compared with £1 if I used my Amex (or 75p with my Barclaycard) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not an opinion.

It looks like it does, but it does not. “Collect up to 3 points per £1 spent” is the headline figure, and it’s correct, you can collect up to 3 points per £, but as the smallprint reveals only 2 of those are to do with having a Credit Card:

We’ll award 2 points for each full £1 spent at Sainsbury’s, Argos, Habitat and Tu Clothing in the UK.

You can collect additional points from Nectar partners, including up to 1 point per £1 in Sainsbury’s, Argos, Habitat and Tu Clothing, by scanning your Nectar app or using your Nectar card at the time of the transaction.

The 2 payments are entirely exclusive of one another:

• you get 1 pt per £ for using your Nectar card at Sainsbury’s regardless of how you pay.
  • you get 2 pts per £ spent at Sainsbury’s using your Sainsbury’s Bank credit card regardless of whether you scan your Nectar card.

The effective cashback rate of a Sainsbury’s Bank credit card when used at Sainsbury’s is 1%, not 1.5%.

Correct - as @Wilt and I had already discussed :joy_cat:

What matters to me - as I suspect you already know - is that the result is £1.50 per £100 spent at Sainsbury’s that I can then deduct from my next grocery shop at Sainsbury’s.

I’ll leave it there so that non-pedants aren’t bored any further :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I never, for one minute……… :blush:……

1 Like

If you switched to the free Barclaycard Avios card, the free Amex BA card, or the free Amex rewards card you could get the equivalent of 0.8% cash-like value back (by converting earned points to Nectar points).

For the Avios earning cards you’d do Avios to Necter. For the Amex rewards card you’d do Amex rewards to Avios to Nectar.

If you spend more than £12,500 per year away from Sainsbury‘s it might also be worth considering Amex Nectar card - 1% back on all spending, not just at Sainsbury’s. However it comes with a £25/year fee from year 2, so £12,500 spend needed to justify it over the other cards I mentioned.

2 Likes