Who is your main bank?

The one I haven’t put in coz it isn’t listed, Nationwide which as we know, isn’t technically really a bank, still proudly a building society.

I’m not at all worried about my Starling account being locked out and the same with RBS. But then apart from the TSB debacle which I have to admit only inconvenienced me personally for a few hours, I’ve never been locked out of any account I’ve ever had.

1 Like

Just the one vote for Lloyds so far.

I thought they were supposed to be the best @anon85728687 ? :rofl:

#TeamStarling

1 Like

Yeah because I moaned that I had 2 :sweat_smile: and then more people opened up the can of worms

1 Like

Surprised at that (although with just 15 votes, maybe not…).

We all know that Barclays are the best!

1 Like

Just noticed @Mathew post 12….

3 Likes

I’m currently doing the same!

Halifax and Virgin Money also missing.

Both have recently offered CASS incentives, so might be one or two who use them now.

1 Like

Any insider info from Apple? :eyes:

1 Like

Only that it’s coming soon and that the pandemic has delayed it substantially. No time frame as to when. In terms of stuff hidden in iOS code, it seems ready to go.

My friends prefer to tease me, which is both annoying, yet cool when I finally see their teases pop up at WWDC. I’ve probably already seen glimpses of new iMessage features planned for iOS 16, yet I won’t know until they announce it.

Mine aren’t listed!

Nationwide for mortgage payments and joint household stuff
Triodos for salary and pension, etc

Starling for occasional low value spending

1 Like

Hello fellow Triodos user!

2 Likes

What are the benefits of using Triodos over other banks? I looked around on their website but didn’t find out much other than they don’t invest in questionable companies. But beyond that I’m not getting why I should bank with them or what my money does?

I kind of wish the poll was by banking group (maybe in the future when another poll comes up). My banking is mixed between two banks at the moment Starling and NatWest/RBS but with the way things are going I may end up just keeping Starling as a backup. RBS have been great recently.

For me, that’s essentially it. That and they don’t run a setup where those in financial hardship are subsidising the rest of us like a lot of the other banks do.

I have transparency over what they do with my deposits.

The reason they aren’t my sole main account is quite simply because they’re lacking significantly in the tech department. There’s no Apple Pay, transfers are slow, no Monzo or starling-esque features. And fees for things that new banks have done away with, like foreign currency.

I’m paying £3 for a fairer banking system, and I’m very happy to do that.

3 Likes

Just a random thought more than anything, but wouldn’t those in financial hardship choose not to use Triodos because it prices them out of the bank?

I had personally thought it more along the lines of being for those who want some peace of mind about how money is invested if they only wanted to be involved in sustainable/green/nice investments

Their investment bonds are interesting btw, though i haven’t had money aside to consider them

1 Like

I’ve been looking more and more at Natwest lately, I can’t go for them though because of the hit my ego will take after telling my fiancee she should leave them for Monzo for years now :rofl:

I’ll never live it down

1 Like

Get a grip :laughing:

In all honesty, I wouldn’t think so. It’s the price of a Tesco meal deal per month, for the reassurance you’re not going to get trapped in cycles of bank charges and fees.

When I saw my Grandma going through this with Nationwide before they finally put a stop to those fees for good with the basic account, it was often that toxic cycle that was causing the hardship. Especially when the charging of fees resulted in more fees.

A common theme was, forget the quarterly electricity bill was due, be charged for the direct debit debit not going through. Being charged without being told when, thus taking her overdrawn and charging her for an unnarranged overdraft, that would repeat the cycle. Each new charge triggered the overdraft charge. Or in some case meant she no longer had enough left to cover a direct debit. It was quite a horrid cycle. Eventually got it stopped and some of it refunded, but this went on for a few years before I found out, and the only reason she said anything was because Martin Lewis brought them up on TV.

From my perspective with Triodos though, I’m paying the monthly fee to use a bank that isn’t doing that stuff to anyone.

I’ve actually been thinking the same, especially now there is cheque imaging, although in my case it’ll be RBS. But they have a slick app, that works on iPad too, and full web access, and the ability to withdraw without needing my card.

There’s so much on offer from them these days that’s very tempting. They’ve definitely put the tech in fin.

4 Likes

They do though… its £3 a month, overdraft interest is 18%, foreign cash withdrawals have a 2.5% charge, they have charges for receiving transfers outside of the UK, fees for CHAPS, fees for sending money to foreign accounts.

You’ll still get charged for going overdrawn, less one off fees maybe, but i’m not sure that’s necessarily for anything to do with being more ethical. And assuming there is no overdraft Tridos seems to simply fail the transaction completely. No fee, but the bill may put an extra charge on top. Compared to RBS (just for my example), an unpaid transaction fee is £2.75, cheaper than Triodos’ £3 a month and can only be charged once per billing period. unarranged overdraft may cover the direct debit at 40% interest but you could presumably turn that off and just have the bills fail.

So not necessarily anything to do with ethics, but maybe a slightly simpler fee structure is useful in this case.

I get what you mean though about some banks placing charges on accounts and then not telling you

1 Like